Heat Frustration?

D

dems4me

Now that its full blown heat wave season. I figure maybe we could use a thread about heat warnings or problems from the heat. I have a question about a friend of mine who recently was out in the heat for about 6 hours.

She hadn't eaten hardly anything all day and spends 6 hours outside doing physical things and then starts getting hot and dizzy and overheated and she drank water and was perspiring normally as one would do in the heat. And she took frequent pee breaks. She was battling a terrible headache all day. She started getting dizzy while out in the heat and seeing little white stars or floaters or something and feeling woozy.

By the time we were done, she's dizzy to the point of everything spinning and having to shut her eyes because she's going to get sick. Also everything around her started getting greyed out and looked like she was looking through fog. And she had a terrible headache and was on the verge of passing out or collapsing and then once she got home and can sit and lay down for a few minutes, eat a little bit of food, risking throwing it back up she started getting goosebumps, although hot in the house. She later weighs herself before going to bed and saw she had lost 7 pounds from the time she had woke up in the morning until the time she went to bed. My question is WTF was that all about? Is that heat frustration? Usually folks weigh more in the evenings versus when they first wake up. She seems fine today and rearing to go back outside. Was it the heat?

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Signs and Symptoms of heat exhaustion include:

* Cool, clammy, pale skin
* Sweating
* Dry mouth
* Fatigue, weakness
* Dizziness
* Headache
* Nausea, sometimes vomiting
* Muscle cramps
* Weak and rapid pulse

Heat stroke, unlike heat exhaustion, strikes suddenly, with little warning. When the body's cooling system fails, the body's temperature rises fast. This creates an emergency condition.

Signs of heat stroke include:

* Very high temperature (104 degrees F or higher)
* Hot, dry, red skin
* No sweating
* Deep breathing and fast pulse - then shallow breathing and weak pulse
* Dilated pupils
* Confusion, delirium, hallucinations
* Convulsions
* Loss of consciousness

See: Prevention

D

dems4me

Sharon said:
Signs and Symptoms of heat exhaustion include:

* Cool, clammy, pale skin
* Sweating
* Dry mouth
* Fatigue, weakness
* Dizziness
* Headache
* Nausea, sometimes vomiting
* Muscle cramps
* Weak and rapid pulse

Heat stroke, unlike heat exhaustion, strikes suddenly, with little warning. When the body's cooling system fails, the body's temperature rises fast. This creates an emergency condition.

Signs of heat stroke include:

* Very high temperature (104 degrees F or higher)
* Hot, dry, red skin
* No sweating
* Deep breathing and fast pulse - then shallow breathing and weak pulse
* Dilated pupils
* Confusion, delirium, hallucinations
* Convulsions
* Loss of consciousness

See: Prevention

Thanks! :flowers: I guess she was sweating ok. - I'm guessing that was the 7 lb weight loss. Nonetheless thought this thread might serve as a good reminder and someone would post the warnings of heat stroke or something too - killed two birds with one stone. :huggy:

D

dems4me

BTW, I spoke with friend and she weighed in this morning and she's 10 lbs lighter than what she was yesterday morning. Is this too fast of weight loss or is this just a good way to lose weight (working out in the heat?).

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
dems4me said:
she's dizzy to the point of everything spinning and having to shut her eyes because she's going to get sick. Also everything around her started getting greyed out and looked like she was looking through fog. And she had a terrible headache and was on the verge of passing out or collapsing and then once she got home and can sit and lay down for a few minutes, eat a little bit of food, risking throwing it back up she started getting goosebumps, although hot in the house.

dems4me said:
BTW, I spoke with friend and she weighed in this morning and she's 10 lbs lighter than what she was yesterday morning. Is this too fast of weight loss or is this just a good way to lose weight (working out in the heat?).
Sounds like a great way to lose weight :smack:

oldman

Lobster Land
dems4me said:
Now that its full blown heat wave season. I figure maybe we could use a thread about heat warnings or problems from the heat. I have a question about a friend of mine who recently was out in the heat for about 6 hours.

She hadn't eaten hardly anything all day and spends 6 hours outside doing physical things and then starts getting hot and dizzy and overheated and she drank water and was perspiring normally as one would do in the heat. And she took frequent pee breaks. She was battling a terrible headache all day. She started getting dizzy while out in the heat and seeing little white stars or floaters or something and feeling woozy.

I know that not eating can cause the above symtoms by itself, but I would imagine the heat also contributed. Maybe the heat just brought it on faster?

D

dems4me

aps45819 said:
Sounds like a great way to lose weight :smack:

:lol: I'm notone to give good advice when it comes to weight loss :lol: But she is very overweight. No pain no gain? :shrug: :lol:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
dems4me said:
Her weight loss is from dehydration. She needs to replenish it. It's best to prevent heat exhaustion by keeping your body saturated with fluids, she probably also needs to replace some electrolytes due to her condition yesterday, some Gatorade-type drink will help.

D

dems4me

Sharon said:
Her weight loss is from dehydration. She needs to replenish it. It's best to prevent heat exhaustion by keeping your body saturated with fluids, she probably also needs to replace some electrolytes due to her condition yesterday, some Gatorade-type drink will help.

Thanks but won't that make her gain her wieght back :crazy: :lol: I didn't want to suggest more water because I read somewhere that you shouldn't overhydrate yourself in heat because it couldhave a reverse effect or something like that... likethat long distance runner wherehe drank too much water and died from it or something or other? :whack: She sounds fine over the phone and said she feels much, much better.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
dems4me said:
Thanks but won't that make her gain her wieght back :crazy: :lol: I didn't want to suggest more water because I read somewhere that you shouldn't overhydrate yourself in heat because it couldhave a reverse effect or something like that... likethat long distance runner wherehe drank too much water and died from it or something or other? :whack: She sounds fine over the phone and said she feels much, much better.

You do have to be very careful not to drink TOO much water. You can "rinse" out all the good things. That's why gatorade is good, alternating with water.

The wife of the guy I work for ended up in the hospital in a coma type of state while doing the breast cancer weekend walk a few years ago. She's fine but she learned her lesson. She thought Gatorade had too much salt so she drink gallons of water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
dems4me said:
Thanks but won't that make her gain her wieght back :crazy:

Only if she'd rather be dead from heat stroke, then yes, it'll make her gain the weight back. Ten pounds of weight loss in 24 hours is mostly from losing body fluids.

READ the link I sent you. :whistle:

Unless you think she really exercised off 35,000 calories in one day, then send me her exercise routine. :razz: