Disney World

bdh802

Bob
When is the best time to take a family to Disney World? I would like to take my family there sometime over the next 12 months. Is there a good time when the weather isn't too bad and it isn't that crowded. I also understand they have special days like gay day, etc. I wouldn't my kids there during that either. Also, what's the best way to do it? Buy a package deal directly from Disney.com or piece it together myself. Either way, it looks expensive but what the heck!

Shannie0308

bdh802 said:
When is the best time to take a family to Disney World? I would like to take my family there sometime over the next 12 months. Is there a good time when the weather isn't too bad and it isn't that crowded. I also understand they have special days like gay day, etc. I wouldn't my kids there during that either. Also, what's the best way to do it? Buy a package deal directly from Disney.com or piece it together myself. Either way, it looks expensive but what the heck!

Last year we went in June! Sooooo HOT! I would love to go back around October - November.

ocean733

bdh802: Are you goverment or military?

Shades of Green is a BEAUTIFUL place to stay right on the grounds of Disney at a great price if you are.

hollywoman

We went at Christmas last year for 10 days and had a blast. Christmas day was the of course the most crowded day. If i had to do it again, i would go in May or June.

Frozenpl

Drinks At The House!
We went in October one year for the "not-so-scary Halloween". Paid a special price to go in for a couple of hours in the evening. Kids dressed in costumes, characters were dressed in their costumes. It was great. I think we rode more rides that night than we did the next day. Weather was very comfortable.

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
The best time is right between Thanksgiving and Christmas. It isn't crowed because it's between the holiday croweds, the weather is great! Haven't had a bad year yet.

Elle

Happy Camper!
We went a couple of years ago the week of Thanksgiving. Weather was mid 80's every day (did get cooler the day we left though). The parks did get more crowded closer to the Holiday but no lines were unbareable. And the best part was kids only had to miss 2 days of school for a weeklong vacation (and us only 3 days of work). Another bonus was they had begun decorating for Christmas so we got to see all of the transformations.

bcp

In My Opinion
I just got back from disney, for the third year in a row.

the tickets are expensive at the gate, I think its like 57 per child and 63 per adult for the one day park hopper passes. You can get the 3, 5 and 7 day passes that work out cheaper, but still a big hit on the wallet.

bring in your own bottle water, you pay premium price at the park for it and the dont have too many water fountains around.

all of june is considered homo month at disney and it is during that time that the perverts pick a day or two to flood the park. any other time is safe from homo overload.

Unless you can get a really good deal on a place to stay while there, it might be worth it to get a room closer to Orlando and make the longer drive into the parks every day.

Only reason I was able to do this three years running is because of a time share at the Marriot Grand Vista for 135 a week, and a nephew that works at disney as one of the engineers that can get people in the park for free on his park ID.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
bcp said:

the tickets are expensive at the gate, I think its like 57 per child and 63 per adult for the one day park hopper passes. You can get the 3, 5 and 7 day passes that work out cheaper, but still a big hit on the wallet.

They just jacked their prices upt to over $60 a person.. Think the news said family of four would cost $260 to get in the gate now

Tina2001aniT

Per my Cousin who is the director of staffing (he has a more glamorous title than that, but basically he is the director of staffing) at Disney World the least crowded times are Late September/Early October and between thanksgiving and christmas.
I would definately suggest staying on Disney Property and getting the park hopper passes directly from Disney. I was just looking into it myself and we found lodging and passes for a family of 5 for around 3,000 for 6 days and seven nights....

Llwynog

Thats Welsh for fox.
I went with the marching band my freshman year in April and again my senior year in January. When I was in college our last family vacation was to Disney World in January. I think the January lines were a little shorter. I though April was comfortably warm but in January I usually wore jeans and a light jacket. I’ve always stayed at a non-Disney hotel. Parking is a breeze in January.

bdh802

Bob
bcp said:

bring in your own bottle water, you pay premium price at the park for it and the dont have too many water fountains around.

all of june is considered homo month at disney and it is during that time that the perverts pick a day or two to flood the park. any other time is safe from homo overload.

Unless you can get a really good deal on a place to stay while there, it might be worth it to get a room closer to Orlando and make the longer drive into the parks every day.

Only reason I was able to do this three years running is because of a time share at the Marriot Grand Vista for 135 a week, and a nephew that works at disney as one of the engineers that can get people in the park for free on his park ID.

Wow, thanks for all of your help everyone. Your suggestions will definitely help us plan our trip. I was going to avoid June July and August anyway because of the crowds and heat. Looks like we'll avoid he freak shows in June anyway. TIme to do some research. Thanks again!

oldman

Lobster Land
bdh802 said:

I like your last sentence. Although it's been a number of years now since I went we took the car train down so we had our own transportation when we got there. Stayed on Disney World and used their buses to get around. It was the family vacation and it was exactly that. Stayed up late, slept in and only had to walk a short distance to catch a bus to see the sights. I went to see Disney, not to have to drive to/from it every day.

Uncle Rico

bcp said:

They really have gay month and gay days at Disney? Oh, GOD! Help us.

bcp

In My Opinion
Uncle Rico said:
They really have gay month and gay days at Disney? Oh, GOD! Help us.
Yes they do.
thats why I always wait until August to go. It gives a full month of normal people sitting on the seats absorbing any gay slime left behind, and the seats are less likely to be transferring aids juice to the innocent park goers.

Uncle Rico

bcp said:
Yes they do.
thats why I always wait until August to go. It gives a full month of normal people sitting on the seats absorbing any gay slime left behind, and the seats are less likely to be transferring aids juice to the innocent park goers.

That's funny. When I read about the gay day, I was thinking the same thing. I was thinking we'd have to carry around some rags soaked in alcohol to use on the seats before we sat in them. I can only imagine what can ooze out onto the seats during the gay days. :barf: :barf:

bcp

In My Opinion
Uncle Rico said:
I can only imagine what can ooze out onto the seats during the gay days. :barf: :barf:

just like a car, once the rear seal has been damaged, you know its going to leak.

CMC122

Go Braves!
mv_princess said:
The best time is right between Thanksgiving and Christmas. It isn't crowed because it's between the holiday croweds, the weather is great! Haven't had a bad year yet.
I've heard the same thing. Friends of ours went last Christmas and said it was horrible because it was wall to wall people.

MMDad

Lem Putt
We went in mid May (before gay days) this year, and stayed in the Contemporary. There was only one terribly hot day, and only one day with thunderstorms. Between fastpass, light crowds, and good timing, our longest wait for a ride was 30 minutes.

If you rarely visit, staying on the property is the way to go so you aren't spending as much time getting to the parks. If you go frequently, staying off property will save you some $$$.

We got our best prices on the web and through Disney, then went to Carlson Wagonlit to see what they could do. They ended up being $60 more (out of $3K), but got us a better flight, as well as handling everything. They also gave some good travel tips and a few little extras.

My recommendation is to figure out what you can get online, then let a travel agent have a shot at it. That way you won't be wondering if you could have done better.