My Poor Kitty! HELP!

M

Mousebaby

I took my 14 wk. old kitten in for her shots a couple of days ago and she has done nothing but hide since then. She is staying under the covers of my bed. If we put her on the floor near the food and water she takes off and gets right back into the bed and hides. She is traumatized and I am so worried about her. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make her feel more comfortable or can anyone explain why this sudden change has happened. She used to run around the house playing and attacking my other cat and chasing my kids and now NOTHING. Please help!
:bawl:

Mousebaby said:
I took my 14 wk. old kitten in for her shots a couple of days ago and she has done nothing but hide since then. She is staying under the covers of my bed. If we put her on the floor near the food and water she takes off and gets right back into the bed and hides. She is traumatized and I am so worried about her. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make her feel more comfortable or can anyone explain why this sudden change has happened. She used to run around the house playing and attacking my other cat and chasing my kids and now NOTHING. Please help!

Get a dog.

jaie

So happy!
Mousebaby said:
:huggy: Did you call the vet yet?

M

Mousebaby

jaie said:
:huggy: Did you call the vet yet?

Yes had her back to the vet yesterday and they gave her fluids, benedryl and kitty tylenol. She's not acting sick anymore but she is just terrified!

jaie

So happy!
Mousebaby said:
Yes had her back to the vet yesterday and they gave her fluids, benedryl and kitty tylenol. She's not acting sick anymore but she is just terrified!
She'll come around. Just give her a few days.

CrashTest

My cat is no spring-chicken. I’ve had her for 6 years. When I moved a couple months ago, she spent the first 2 days in the new house cowering in the cupboard under the bathroom sink. It was a full month before she was back to her normal self chasing imaginary mice around the house.

M

Mousebaby

Terribly sick

Ok it's bad. I just returned from another visit to the vet with Tasha. They think she has Leukopenia. This is a virus that leads to distemper and is often fatal. I am so heartbroken. What am I going to do without this baby in my life. I have fallen in love with her just in the short time that I've had her. They gave me antibiotics to give her and I guess all I can do is hope and pray. If anyone has had a cat survive this please let me know. I need all the encouragement I can get. Thanks!

river rat

BUCKING GOAT
Mousebaby said:
Ok it's bad. I just returned from another visit to the vet with Tasha. They think she has Leukopenia. This is a virus that leads to distemper and is often fatal. I am so heartbroken. What am I going to do without this baby in my life. I have fallen in love with her just in the short time that I've had her. They gave me antibiotics to give her and I guess all I can do is hope and pray. If anyone has had a cat survive this please let me know. I need all the encouragement I can get. Thanks!

This may be Stupid question okay?
Did they test here for postives on the virsues before she was vaccinatted?
If she had it and the gave her the killed virus injection, well it may kill her.

My sister has two cats, no three cats that are positive in 1995. They are still with her. Fat and happy.
However, their immune system is somewhat comprimised and they cannot be exposed to as many things as a normal cat.
But I really think this is a case of them assuming she was negative and not testing first. Did they test the kitty? It should be on your bill.

river rat

BUCKING GOAT
I may have confused FeLV with what you are talking about.
But if it is distemper they should have never her left the clinic.
Read about it some. If you can keep from crying too badly.
It is a quick killer and usually kills with in 3 days. However I thought it hit them very young like, when they are still nursing??

W

Wenchy

Mousebaby said:

Are you sure that it's not this:

http://www.felineleukemia.org/

If it is feline leukemia, I have advice, if not, then I do not.

M

Mousebaby

river rat said:
I may have confused FeLV with what you are talking about.
But if it is distemper they should have never her left the clinic.
Read about it some. If you can keep from crying too badly.
It is a quick killer and usually kills with in 3 days. However I thought it hit them very young like, when they are still nursing??

Well, according to the dr. she has probably had the virus since she was newborn. This is the virus that leads to distemper and not distemper itself. If it is in fact what she has then we may have caught it early enough to knock it out before it gets worse. But I have to watch her closely and if she has any changes what so ever for the worse I am to bring her in immediately. I'm just hoping that we still have a fighting chance. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate any and all the help and support I can get right now. :huggy:

river rat

BUCKING GOAT
Mousebaby said:
Well, according to the dr. she has probably had the virus since she was newborn. This is the virus that leads to distemper and not distemper itself. If it is in fact what she has then we may have caught it early enough to knock it out before it gets worse. But I have to watch her closely and if she has any changes what so ever for the worse I am to bring her in immediately. I'm just hoping that we still have a fighting chance. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate any and all the help and support I can get right now. :huggy:

Well, the vet is absolutely right about watching for changes.
This is why I can't believe he sent her home. Perhaps he/she doesn't want to dent your wallet for overnight care.
I have seen young kittens suffer through this and it SUCKS!!
I have never seen a survivor. Mostly because, by the time it is diagnosised it is usually too late. Yours however, has been found early sooooo... perhaps yours will be my first sucess story.

M

Mousebaby

river rat said:
Well, the vet is absolutely right about watching for changes.
This is why I can't believe he sent her home. Perhaps he/she doesn't want to dent your wallet for overnight care.
I have seen young kittens suffer through this and it SUCKS!!
I have never seen a survivor. Mostly because, by the time it is diagnosised it is usually too late. Yours however, has been found early sooooo... perhaps yours will be my first sucess story.

Oh God I hope so!!! :bawl: