Cozumel...

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
Larry Gude said:
...who's been? Tell us all about it!

We're looking at late December/early January...
C_Jo and I honeymooned in Cozumel. We were there for Christmas. It was 100% awesome! We stayed at the Melia Cozumel. Please take me with you. :flowers:

Gummie

Have been there on a cruise. According to friends some of the best snorkeling and diving around. We went to the mainland and down to Tulum to the Mayan ruins. Wonderful if you are into history.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yeah...

Gummie said:
Have been there on a cruise. According to friends some of the best snorkeling and diving around. We went to the mainland and down to Tulum to the Mayan ruins. Wonderful if you are into history.

...the diving sounds real good. I'm a novice but man, what an experience.

oldman

Lobster Land
Larry Gude said:

Apparently it's grown into a real nice resort because I've heard nothing but good about it in recent years. I stopped there on a cruise several years ago before they put any money into it and it was a dump. The beaches were nice even then though.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
:howdy: We stopped on a cruise and LOVED it! Granted, we only got to do one thing (tour Mayan ruins at Tulum, absolutely beautiful), but we definitely want to go back. I bought a few gorgeous silver jewelry pieces in Cozumel, we stopped in Playa del Carmen (loved that too, want to go back), and bussed over to Tulum. It was my favorite stop on the whole cruise.

Elle

Happy Camper!
We stopped on our cruise as well. We did a Dune Buggy/Snorkel/Beach Adventure tour. It was great. Snorkeled near the port (didn’t see much ~ not sure if it was b/c of the reef damage or just the location our guides took us too), rode around the entire island on the buggy, stopped at a private beach. I'd love to go back.

marianne

Stopped there on a cruise about a year and a half ago and I wasn't impressed.

I was talking with someone yesterday about Cozumel because we're planning another such cruise. He said he had a friend that went to Cozumel a few weeks ago. She had warned him against going to Cozumel - that it had been hit really hard by storms and was really bad off. Said the beaches were a mess and it was someplace we'd want to avoid. I don't know if that's true but you might want to check into it.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'm hoping...

marianne said:
Stopped there on a cruise about a year and a half ago and I wasn't impressed.

I was talking with someone yesterday about Cozumel because we're planning another such cruise. He said he had a friend that went to Cozumel a few weeks ago. She had warned him against going to Cozumel - that it had been hit really hard by storms and was really bad off. Said the beaches were a mess and it was someplace we'd want to avoid. I don't know if that's true but you might want to check into it.

...by January it'll be back in good shape. I've read in a couple of places that they have done a good job getting it back in order. Thanks!

Larry Gude said:
East coast of Mehico, down by the tip of the Yucatan penninsula. Just South of Cancun.
Seriously. Do not drink the water or eat anything washed in it, like salad. I can't even imagine how it would be if Montezuma's revenge hit when you're 50' down in a wetsuit.

harleygirl

Working for the weekend
Larry Gude said:

Been to Cozumel a couple of times........too touristy. Most of the city is run down, with mexicans hawking cheap souvenirs. Beaches are nice, but still cannot get away from the high pressure sales there. Want a nice vacation? Inexpensive? Nature in your backyard, with tons of stuff to do? Three dollars for a steak dinner that spills over the side of your plate? I suggest this, I rented it two winters ago, and probably going back next year. Beautiful weather, no sales folks, no children begging for $$. We stayed here a whole week and spend less than $1500 with airfare and all with two other couples......... http://www.vrbo.com/20399

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
I went to Puerto Aventuras which is about an hour south of Playacar on the mainland. It was like an oasis in the middle of the jungle. Golf course, small town and two hotels. Very nice, not too touristy. The Diving Hall of Fame was there, and I'm pretty sure there were diving expeditions that left from there to Cozumel. Worth a look and none of the city crap from Cancun to deal with! :yay: