Flea Relief for young kitty

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
Our resident barn "Momma Kitty" had one kitten about 10 days ago. A real cutie but I noticed that she has fleas. Any suggestions on what type product to use (I've bought Frontline but the package directions says not to use on nursing animals.) If I apply it to momma kitty will affect the baby adversely? If I treat the other barn cats will that harm her also - they mingle at dinner time and rub on one another. Thanks for any advice. And yes, momma and her kitty will be spayed after she gets weaned.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
HorseLady said:
Our resident barn "Momma Kitty" had one kitten about 10 days ago. A real cutie but I noticed that she has fleas. Any suggestions on what type product to use (I've bought Frontline but the package directions says not to use on nursing animals.) If I apply it to momma kitty will affect the baby adversely? If I treat the other barn cats will that harm her also - they mingle at dinner time and rub on one another. Thanks for any advice. And yes, momma and her kitty will be spayed after she gets weaned.

I'd check with the vet. The kitten is too young to use the regular flea products available and many flea products are not recommended for cats that are nursing kittens.

You do need to get the fleas off of the kitten. Fleas can kill a young kitten. The kitten can get anemia from the blood loss and the kitten wears itself out itching the bites. I've used a flea comb on young kittens.

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
Yup, I've been combing them off for now, but hope to find something I can use on her to repel them.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
HorseLady said:
Yup, I've been combing them off for now, but hope to find something I can use on her to repel them.

Try searching for "natural flea removal kittens" ... maybe there's something "out there" that will work. :shrug:

Geek

HorseLady said:

See a vet. Make sure you seperate Mama and kitten from the other cats. The other cats have fleas too.

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
A vet once told me to use Breck shampoo on a kitten. The fleas die and your kitty comes out bouncin' and behavin'!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I was cat-sitting for a friend's feline and her two week old litter of kittens. The babies had fleas so bad that I decided to ...dip them. Almost killed the poor little things - they were barfing and staggering all day.

Do not do this.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
vraiblonde said:
I was cat-sitting for a friend's feline and her two week old litter of kittens. The babies had fleas so bad that I decided to ...dip them. Almost killed the poor little things - they were barfing and staggering all day.

Do not do this.

:yikes: Dipping can kill an adult cat. :frown: I had to learn the hard way...about 20 years ago a groomer dipped my cat, he died later than night. Vet said he was poisoned by the dipping solution.