El Cheapo Gas

sockgirl77

Is it good for your car? My parents are driving me nuts. They keep telling me to stop using 87 in my car. They insist that I'm ruining it. I talked to a guy at Toyota and he told me to stop using WaWa gas. He said that it is pure crap.

Is this true?

Thanks.

rack'm

Jaded
Check your owner’s manual and use the grade they specify.

I use WAWA gas all the time with no issues, but I also run a bottle of concentrated fuel injector cleaner every 3000 miles too.

bigtw34

I use to be the same way about WaWa gas, thinking that is was crap. But I have come to realize that it works just as good as the gas I get from exxon. But I also use fuel injector cleaner every few thousand miles.

sockgirl77

Page 192...

Select Octane Rating 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher. For improved vehicle performance, the use of premium unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating of 91 (Research Octane Number 96) or higher is recommending.

WTF is Reasearch Octane Number 91?

:confused:

rack'm

Jaded
sockgirl77 said:
Select Octane Rating 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher. For improved vehicle performance, the use of premium unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating of 91 (Research Octane Number 96) or higher is recommending.

WTF is Reasearch Octane Number 91?

:confused:

What they call 87 octane........ :lol:

Just use 87 and ignore your parents. :yay:

It boils down to this..........lower compression cars use LOWER octane gas.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
rack'm said:

:yeahthat:

Truth is, higher octane would be a waste of money, and could lead to carbon buildup since your car was designed to run efficiently with 87 octane.

sockgirl77

rack'm said:

Why don't they just call it Research Octane Number 87? :duh:

sockgirl77

Oz said:
:yeahthat:

Truth is, higher octane would be a waste of money, and could lead to carbon buildup since your car was designed to run efficiently with 87 octane.
But what about the higher performance :bs: ?

rack'm

Jaded
Do some research......

Burn two tanks of each octane rating and see which one gives you the best mileage.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
We have an account with Navy Federal and often times get "junk mail" from them. Several weeks ago we got some with car tips and such. One of the tips was "Most cars that are reccomended to run on premium or high octane gas will run fine on regular or lower octane gas." :confused: I thought that the manufacturer reccomended what your car needed? My car takes premium gas. 93 octane I think it is? Whatever the highest is. When you flip open the fuel door there's even a little sticker that says "premium unleaded gasoline only." But Navy Fed is a big organization and I doubt they'd put bogus info out there just to make people think they could save a few pennies without doing at least some research or have information on someone else having done some research. I could be wrong though. I know squat about engines. What are everyone's thoughts on this?

rack'm

Jaded
pixiegirl said:
We have an account with Navy Federal and often times get "junk mail" from them. Several weeks ago we got some with car tips and such. One of the tips was "Most cars that are reccomended to run on premium or high octane gas will run fine on regular or lower octane gas." :confused: I thought that the manufacturer reccomended what your car needed? My car takes premium gas. 93 octane I think it is? Whatever the highest is. When you flip open the fuel door there's even a little sticker that says "premium unleaded gasoline only." But Navy Fed is a big organization and I doubt they'd put bogus info out there just to make people think they could save a few pennies without doing at least some research or have information on someone else having done some research. I could be wrong though. I know squat about engines. What are everyone's thoughts on this?

If it really does need 93, it will knock and ping on lower octane gas because of pre-ignition.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
rack'm said:
If it really does need 93, it will knock and ping on lower octane gas because of pre-ignition.

I don't understand the difference though in why some cars need higher octane is maybe what I'm getting at.

Why do I have an in-line 6 cyl that takes 93 and Brent had a pick-up that had an in-line 6 that took regular?

rack'm

Jaded
pixiegirl said:
I don't understand the difference though in why some cars need higher octane is maybe what I'm getting at.

Why do I have an in-line 6 cyl that takes 93 and Brent had a pick-up that had an in-line 6 that took regular?

It all has to do with the compression ratio that the engine has.......the higher the compression, the higher octane gas you need.

rack'm

Jaded
Fuel Octane Selection

GOAL:
To assist students in becoming wiser consumers of gasoline and enable them to select the proper octaned gasoline resulting in an energy savings as well as a monetary savings.

OBJECTIVES:
Students will:

1. Realize that proper fuel octane selection can change MPG.

2. Recognize the economic benefit from proper fuel octane selection.

3. Understand that it takes more raw crude to refine higher octane fuels.

LESSON/INFORMATION:
Fuel octane requirements for gasoline engines vary with the compression ratio of the engine; diesel cetane requirements also vary with the compression ratio. Engine compression ratio is the relative volume of a cylinder from the bottom most position of the piston's stroke to the top most position of the piston's stroke. The higher an engine's compression ratio, the greater the amount of heat generated in the cylinder during the compression stroke.

Posted octane numbers on gasoline pumps are a result of testing fuel performance under laboratory and actual operating conditions. The higher the octane rating on fuel the less volatile (evaporative qualities) and the slower the fuel burns. Higher octane fuel contains more POTENTIAL energy but requires the higher heat generated by higher compression ratio engines to properly condition the fuel to RELEASE that higher potential energy. In the refining process, fewer gallons of higher octane fuels are yielded from a barrel of raw crude.

If fuel octane is too low for a given compression ratio, the fuel prematurely and spontaneously ignites too early and the fuel charge EXPLODES rather than BURNS resulting in incomplete combustion. The net effect is a loss in power and possible engine damage. The operator hears an audible "knock" or "ping", referred to as detonation. Detonation may vary from a faint noise on light acceleration to a constant, deep hammering noise while driving at a constant speed. Improper timing adjustments, vacuum leaks, or excessively lean fuel mixtures may also cause detonation.

Many vehicle owners believe that higher octane fuels are better for their vehicles since they are labeled "PREMIUM." The logic is that since it is a premium fuel it must be better. In reality, the premium label originates from the higher cost to refine and the resultant higher retail cost. Some refiners label their high octane fuels "SUPER." Some owners think that these fuels will make their vehicles more powerful. Only engines with high compression ratios can deliver all the potential energy from higher octane fuels! Always consult the manufacturer's octane recommendation to determine the proper octane requirements for any given vehicle. Generally, engines with compression ratios of 9.3 : 1 or less will safely operate with unleaded 87 octane fuel. Engines with higher compression ratios usually require higher octane fuels.

Many owners who operate vehicles designed to operate on 87 octane fuel experience ping and knock. They usually "fix" this problem by purchasing the higher priced, higher octane fuels. Most owner's manuals indicate that some light and intermittent ping is normal but that heavy or sustained ping or knock should be attended to by either purchasing the correct octane fuel or servicing the engine.

Most fuel refiners blend fuels for geographic areas and adjust their blends seasonally. These blending techniques compensate for the decrease in oxygen content with an increase in altitude and compensate for volatility during the warmer or cooler seasons. Significant ambient temperature changes (40 degrees Fahrenheit) or altitude changes (4,000 feet) may cause some serious engine detonation. This problem is usually corrected by filling the tank with "local" fuel that has been properly blended for season and altitude.

ACTIVITY:
1. From the owner's manual, determine the octane requirements for a personal or family vehicle. If the owner's manual is not available, telephone, write or visit a franchised dealer for that vehicle to determine the appropriate octane fuel for that vehicle.

2. Make sure that the tank level is at ¼ or less before beginning this activity. Perform the "MPG test as outlined in the "Fuel Mileage Calculation" guide with the highest octane (91+ octane) fuel available for two sequential tanks. Calculate the two tank MPG. On the work sheet, note any extraordinary engine noises or performance problems during this test and note the cost per gallon.

3. Repeat step "2" for the next lower octane fuel (89 octane). On the work sheet, note any extraordinary engine noises or performance problems during this test and note cost per gallon.

4. If applicable, repeat step "2" a third time with lowest grade fuel (87 octane). On the work sheet, note any extraordinary engine noises or performance problems during this test and note cost per gallon.

5. For each grade of fuel, use the MPG and cost per gallon to project the fuel cost to operate this vehicle for 10,000 miles.

Source

itsbob

I bowl overhand
bigtw34 said:
I use to be the same way about WaWa gas, thinking that is was crap. But I have come to realize that it works just as good as the gas I get from exxon. But I also use fuel injector cleaner every few thousand miles.
Down here, besides Sheetz, I think they all use the same gas anyways..

Watching the Shell station getting their tanks filled by a SMO truck, not an Exxon truck.. so doubt it matters much where you buy it, other then in St Mary's county. Sunday there was a $.50 difference over the bridge.

Pete

Repete
For a car that is designed to run on 87 running premium is a waste. You may eek out 1 or 2 mpg increase in mileage but you have to do the math and see if it is really beneficial due to the extra .20 a gallon. However, it will not "ruin" your car to burn 87.

Gasoline is a petrochemical that is a mixture of carbon chains of various lengths. The name of the molecule chain is based on how many molecules make up the chain, pentane, octane, septane. Most of the molecule chains are stable but can ignite under pressure like the compression stroke of the piston before the plug ignites causing premature ignition or "knock". In high compression engines it is common for them to recommend 91 or 93 Octane gasoline. Octane is one of the carbon chains that is VERY stable and will not ignite during compression. All gasoline has some octane but premium or 93 has a greater percentage of Octane to prevent knock or premature ignition. That being said when they refine crude oil one of the smalleds yeilds is octane so it costs more.

**I didn't make this up I read up on it a long time ago

Last edited:

sockgirl77

pixiegirl said:

Yours is a Lexus. Designed to put a hole in your wallet! :razz:

Last edited:

Magnum

Should be Huntin
My old truck ran like crap off WaWA gas. Now my new truck runs best on it. Gotta see what works best