Dear Artsy Fartsy people

Pete

Repete
Boy stumped me with a question today. I need an answer to "What is the big deal about the Mona Lisa? Why is it so famous?"

Boy patiently awaits your answer. :tap:

Otter

Nothing to see here
Pete said:
Boy stumped me with a question today. I need an answer to "What is the big deal about the Mona Lisa? Why is it so famous?"

She's the original bebemama, it all started with her.

Pete

Repete
I told him it is famous because it is really old and painted by Leonardo the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle. :ohwell:

harleygirl

Working for the weekend
Pete said:
I told him it is famous because it is really old and painted by Leonardo the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle. :ohwell:
You could have told him it was famous because it kind of looks like his mother!! :jet:

rack'm

Jaded
harleygirl said:
You could have told him it was famous because it kind of looks like his mother!! :jet:

So, you're saying that Pete's babies momma looks like a self portrait of Leonardo da Vinci in drag? :twitch:

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
It's notable for any number of reasons, not the least of which is the hand that painted it.

The works' "importance" becomes apparent if you look at it within the art historical context of when it existed. Most of the portraiture prior to this work could be characterized as flat, harsh, two-dimension, and in fact usually done in profile. Leonardo wasn't the first artist to turn the figure to the front, but he is the only one in his time credited with doing it so masterfully. The subject's eyes are directed out at the viewer, and the technique Leonardo used to make them seem blurred ("sfumato", if your son wants extra credit) gives them an almost lifelike quality. You don't really start to see comparable pieces in this fashion widespread in Europe for another 200 years.

rack'm

Jaded
Club'nBabySeals said:
It's notable for any number of reasons, not the least of which is the hand that painted it.

The works' "importance" becomes apparent if you look at it within the art historical context of when it existed. Most of the portraiture prior to this work could be characterized as flat, harsh, two-dimension, and in fact usually done in profile. Leonardo wasn't the first artist to turn the figure to the front, but he is the only one in his time credited with doing it so masterfully. The subject's eyes are directed out at the viewer, and the technique Leonardo used to make them seem blurred ("sfumato", if your son wants extra credit) gives them an almost lifelike quality. You don't really start to see comparable pieces in this fashion widespread in Europe for another 200 years.

:clap:

I've also read that it took years and years for him to get the smile just right.

onebdzee

off the shelf
Pete said:

Tell boy that it's because she has no eyebrows :biggrin:

somd whisper

Club'nBabySeals said:

I remember once in college that the Professor had said her smile was so out of character from the time.

MMDad

Lem Putt
It is famous because it is the only known picture of a woman who is not talking. No woman before or since has been able to stop talking long enough for a picture to be painted.