Photokina 2006

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Hmm...

The resolution of the XTi is better than the 30D... but it's cheaper. So where is the trade-off? Not as customizable, or with as many color specifications, I imagine. I'll have to read about this.

I appreciate all the work designers have gone through to implement the Integrated Self Cleaning Sensor Unit... but I can't say it's a major advancement for me personally. I have shot in a variety of environments, but usually don't have a problem contracting dust. :shrug:

ylexot

Super Genius
Plastic vs. magnesium body and probably the number of shutter actuations. :shrug:

Personally, I like the light weight of the plastic body and if I get up to the number of shutter actuations (~40,000 I think), I'm probably ready for a new camera.

Also, something I saw mentioned in a magazine...lower-end cameras may have all the same functions, but more of them are buried in menus. Higher-end cameras have more buttons for quick access to more functions.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Once you go Nikon vs Canon, most people usually stick with that brand due to lens and accessories investment that usually totals up to far more than the cost of the camera.

It also seems that When Canon announces, you can expect to get one fairly soon. When Nikon announces, you might wait months.

This is a good source of Nikon info in practical terms: www.kenrockwell.com

He also has some good, "Should I buy Nikon or Canon" comparisons in fairly straight english.

Ken claims that the big diff between the the Nikon D80 and the D200 is a plastic body and a 3fps shooting rate vs 5 for the D200.

hvp05

ylexot said:
Personally, I like the light weight of the plastic body
I was a little worried when I bought my Rebel 6.3 MP because of reviewers that put down the plastic shell. But I have never had a problem with it, and it certainly is not falling apart.

ylexot said:
Higher-end cameras have more buttons for quick access to more functions.
That is part of what I was thinking when I said, "Not as customizable." You really have to weigh the cost to benefit on this one.

hvp05

David said:
It also seems that When Canon announces, you can expect to get one fairly soon. When Nikon announces, you might wait months.
I have heard that before. What is behind it?

I was surprised when I checked for the XTi on Amazon and found it for sale. This will definitely come into contention when I buy again, between the 30D and 5D.

hvp05

ylexot said:
You can pre-order the D80 already as well.
If I want to wait 2 months. (ETA: 31 Oct.) I am so glad I picked Canon when I came to the fork in the road.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
You can't really go wrong with either Canon or Nikon. Both good stuff. Although, I tend to think that there are probably more Canons sold. I also think that Canon has a better selection of lenses at lower prices. They used to have a better handle on vibration-resistant lens, although I think Nikon is catching up. The new 18-200 AF-S VR is awesome.

But, then again, I have to believe that putting the vibration mechanism inside the body would be more cost-effect in the long run. Of course, cost-effective for the customer might mean lower profits for the manufacturer :(

I hate to give up trade secrets, but I recently went with a Casio EX-Z850. This $335 beauty fits in your pocket, can shoot video and photos up to 8MP, and record audio. Its also FAST. If it I put it in rapid fire mode, it can record full-res images much faster than my D70. I carry this everywhere and only use the Nikon when I require longer lenses. I can still use my Nikon PictureProject software to import from the camera and optimize the images.

Here's a pic I just took today. I had to size it down so I could upload it here. I beleive this was taken with the Macro focus options.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?link_code=ur2&tag=southernmaryland&camp=1789&creative=9325&location=%2FCasio-EX-Z850-Digital-Camera-Optical%2Fdp%2FB000EIZJF4%2F

Attachments

• CIMG0756-2.JPG
    CIMG0756-2.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 131
  • B000EIZJF4.01._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1140031943_.jpg
    B000EIZJF4.01._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1140031943_.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 115

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Which movie was it..

Son: "Dad, can I borrow the camera?"

DAD: "Son, I don't own a camera, I own a NIKON!!"

FireBrand

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
hvp05 said:
If I want to wait 2 months. (ETA: 31 Oct.) I am so glad I picked Canon when I came to the fork in the road.

I have alway been a Canon user, starting with "AE-1s" in the mid-70s (I still have 2).
Currently have the 8.0 mp Rebel.
Canon can't be beat for the amatuer/semi-pro/pro..........
best bang for the buck !!!!