New Solomons Restaurant

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Has anyone tried the new restaurant, 77 Charles Street, yet?

It is located where China Harbor was, next to the Tiki Bar.

It appears that it is now open.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I'll volunteer! :p There's a new something opening where Navarro's flopped and also a BBQ place on 235 before you get to the base.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I haven't been to Solomons in months. You mean China Harbor closed for good?! They had the best Chinese food in Southern Maryland!

Frank

Chairman of the Board
Yeah, Navarro's is now called "Jethro's".

I swear, with a name like that I am SO sure they serve *roadkill*.

Visions of "Beverly Hillbillies".

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
China Harbor "The Restaurant" moved to Patuxent Plaza (think 7-11) in Solomons into the space that used to be China Harbor "The Carryout" - it still has the same owner and great food.

I overheard the owner of China Harbor talking about the new restaurant. She will be operating it. The restaurant plan was to be a fine steak house along the lines of Ruth's Chris - but maybe not quite as expensive. This was several months ago, so I don't know if that's how it actually turned out.

If any one tries the new restaurant, give us a review! :yum:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Frank

And it also has "Aunt Fanny's Ice Cream"... YEE-HAW!!!!

bravogirl10

I haven't been to "Jethro's" in Solomons, but I did eat at a place at the Amish flea market in Hugesville that was called Jethro's some time ago. It was the best b-que that I had ever had.

S

ShellyCW

I have to add that St. James Deli on the corner of Rt. 235 and Mattapany Rd. has some delicious pork bbq sandwiches. :biggrin:

Frank

Chairman of the Board
Haven't been to the St. James Deli in quite a while, but the people there have always always been nice to me. Oh and the food is good too.

pilot

I've always been impressed with the service at St. James Deli. I eat there sometimes for lunch, when I have to get back to work in a hurry, so I'm sensitive to things like speed and pacing.

Cheetah

77 Charles Street in Solomons

My hubby and I went there about 2 months ago only because most of the other restaurants had a 1hr wait that night. Not impressed. They definitely did a good job on the decor, but the food is overpriced and average. It is a wanna-be Ruth Chris type menu. Not much of a selection--one chicken dish, 3-4 fish/seafood dishes, and a few steak dishes. There wasn't much of a choice for vegetable side dishes. They claim that they closed for the winter season because of seafood selection and pricing. I think it may be for other reasons.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
real high prices...
real small servings...

seems like the place you'd take someone if you wanted to impress them with your money...

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Frank

Now serving "Grannys Possum Pot Pie"

pilot

Cheetah:

I agree completely with your assessment. We had a positively bad experience at the place. Not only was the food not good, but it was way overpriced, and the waitress kept trying to push stuff on us. I was wondering if she was paid by commission.

We definitely will not be going back.

My problem with this area is that there are far too many fancy-restaurant wannabes, where you get the impression that the owners are far more interested in making a profit than they are in cooking a good meal.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by pilot
My problem with this area is that there are far too many fancy-restaurant wannabes, where you get the impression that the owners are far more interested in making a profit than they are in cooking a good meal.
May I ask which ones?

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Been there, done that at 77, no reason to go again.

My favorite restuarant in Solomon's is still the Dry Dock, even though I liked it better when they were in the old building.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Originally posted by Sharon
My favorite restuarant in Solomon's is still the Dry Dock, even though I liked it better when they were in the old building.

Got to try the Dry Dock, I believe Rose was saying it is the best down there, too...

pilot

Originally posted by RoseRed
May I ask which ones?

I'm not sure I remember the names, but here are a few that have personally irritated me:

77 Charles St. (or whatever)
Riverside
Alice's
Navarros (which has since gone out of business, not surprisingly)

Cafe de Artiste is OK, but definitely overrated.

I don't mean to be too negative about the restaurants here, there are also some really excellent ones, including Dry Dock mentioned above.

Last edited: