Where does all my money go?

Doc

I recently moved to Saint Mary's County from Alexandria, Virginia. It's been quite a transition, moving from a vibrant area with plenty of shopping, fine dining, and cultural activities to an area that could charitably be described as "bucolic" (although a number of coarser adjectives definitely leap to mind). But that's a gripe for another time and post.

My gripe for today is the county tax. In Saint Mary's County, which has the highest "piggy-back" tax in Maryland, this amounts to 3.1%. This is simply unbelievable. I've lived many places in the country, and this is the first that's had anything other than a "point something percent" local income tax.

So what I would like to know, fellow forum members, is this: Has anybody an idea where all this money is going? It's clearly not going to:
<ul>
<li>Roads (235 is apparently under perpetual construction and boasts a number of potholes)
<li>Police (Just a sheriff's department; no real local police)
<li>Fire department (Seems to be all-volunteer)
<li>Schools (Lots of kids in my neighborhood; they all look half-retarded.)
<li>MVA (I had to drive to Waldorf* to register my car.)
</ul>

So what services are there of which I'm not taking advantage? I want to be sure to get my money's worth.

Doc
<hr>
* "I had to drive to Waldorf to..." has been officially recognized as the most commonly spoken phrase by transplants to St. Mary's County.

jeneisen

Indy Bound
I must say I do have to agree. The taxes do seem high for what we get around here. Alothough I feel that the construction is a pain, I think in the long run we are better for having it but they do it so slow and they are inconsiderate in how they do it.

I definately know that the taxes aren't helping me in any way: I went to high school here that was a complete joke, we didn't even have air conditioning. The police....what police! Oh it must be the end of the month if you saw one of those. Although has anyone noticed how many bars and liquor stores there are around here? Perhaps the money goes there? Either way I don't know where my money goes but I would like to on the other hand.

missi1013

Catch Me If You Can!
Doc your just used to city life and fast paced. Down here things are slow and the govt doesn't know there a@@hole to a hole in the ground. Waldorf isn't any better and I'd much rather go to St. Marys to do my shopping. Want to switch places!

All the fire depts in Maryland are all volunteer. The school system sucks (except Calvert). The roads are always under construction because more people are moving down here!!! And the police, well we just the state police. Well welcome to the country!! If you want "fine dinning and cultural activities" go to DC, because you want find it around here.

missi1013

Catch Me If You Can!
I'm sorry cari. I was thinking that Doc might be talking about big city events and museums and other things. I wasn't slamming the country life, I love it. I wish I was there!!! I was saying that if he\she is looking for big city, there not going to find it here!

Doc

Originally posted by cariblue
I take offense at your reference to half the children in your neighborhood looking "retarded". For all I know you've moved into my neighborhood and are referring to my child. FYI, she's not retarded, she's expressive.

Well, that's my opinion, based on direct observation. Here's what I saw as I drove home the other day through my neighborhood:

<ul>
<li>One sprog standing to the side of the street with a stick in his hand, whacking himself repeatedly in the head with it.
<li>A couple of twerps with some rusty, wheeled shelving units that they must have scrounged from a trash bin, pushing them back and forth through the middle of the road whilst screaming, "Bleeeaaaaarrrrghgh!" at top volume.
<li>Three morons sitting on top one of those big green metal SMECO junction boxes, that have big orange warning signs saying, "Do not play on or around!" and "Risk of electric shock!"
<li>A twit with her finger jammed up her nose to the first joint, vapidly watching some pieces of paper from her school bag blow lazily across the lawn.
</ul>

Call it "expressive" or "retarded," it all adds up to a pretty grim view of the future, and calls into question the effectiveness of local education practices.

And mind you, it's not a bad neighborhood I live in, either. If this were a trailer park, I'd expect that sort of nonsense.

(And to answer your question, I've been here several months).

Doc

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by missi1013
The school system sucks (except Calvert).
'taint know bitter ofer hear.

When my son was in elem. school they had spelling lists that they had to learn. I went to visit the class one day and read one of my son's papers and pointed out that he had an awful lot of misspelled words in it. The teacher overheard me talking to him and said that they don't correct the spelling, they can spell anyway they want. Now, beat me with a red rubber rooster, but why have spelling lists if what they write in english doesn't count. He was in 2nd or 3rd grade.

Doc

Re: SPROG

Originally posted by Katie
Not to change the subject...but what does SPROG mean?

<b>sprog</b> <i>n., syn.:</i> yard ape, busted rubber, semen demon, rugrat, disease vector, nose miner, loin monkey, curtain climber, carpet shark, income sapper, germ monger, crotch trophy, shriekling, womb dropping, yuppie larva, brat

So I don't like kids. Gotta problem wi'dat?

In answer to cariblue, the nasaly entranced sprog looked about 10. Old enough to know better.

Alas, my point in starting this thread wasn't to "dis" on the sprogs down here, but rather to find out where my taxes go. Sorry for the excursion.

Doc

FunnyGuy

Doc, man you crack me up. This area is so lame but yet it makes it so funny. Who knows and who will ever know where all our money goes. Deffenitly not toward the morons that try and pave a road for over a year. You have to go to DC to get in with civilization. As to something in the water..yes i must agree since most of girls here have kids by age of 16 and the ones who dont are the ones on the corner beating their heads with a stick. Your in a place where you can drive down the road in what almost June now and still see Thanksgiving decorations sitting infront of their house for all to see. All I can say is man you been here 2 months to long. Get out while you still can!!!

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I love my retarded sprogs!

Originally posted by FunnyGuy
Get out while you still can!!!
Yeah...go on, get! :whip: It's getting too crowded for us locals. I grew up right outside DC and have relatives in Baltimore. They're nice places to visit but I wouldn't want to live there anymore. Those turkey decorations in June add character to the place.:D Sure beats those cookie-cutter neighborhoods up north.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
You tell them Sharon. If you don't like it here get out. We don't want you here anymore then you want to be here. And don't give me that "I can't because of my job" crap. Pick up any paper anywhere around the country and guess what, they're hiring. If you're interested where tax money is spent it's laid out fairly well on the counties web page which any sprog could find if they were really interested.

Frank

Chairman of the Board
Yeah, the Mixing Bowl has got nothing on the mess that is 235, right?

And don't even START with DC as some kind of example of efficient city government.

You don't like it here, go back to the pristine cleanliness of Baltimore and DC, where the average man in the street is a scholar, and all those kids with guns are just playing cops and robbers. Where they give away the loveliest homes for free, and there are never any taxes. The traffic moves just as smooth as silk, the water is champagne, and the river is so clean you can see straight to the bottom (if it weren't for all the lively fish jumping about). The police force is a credit to the nation, and city leadership is a model for the world.

Yep, we're a backwater.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Thanks Ken.

I can hardly wait for the sprog gathering. It'll be better than bucksnort! Yee Ha!

Have you ever been to a Bucksnort?

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Frank

Yep, we're a backwater.

'Ole blackwater keep on rollin. Mississippi moon keep shining on me...

Originally posted by Barbara Doc, you have to understand that us backward folk have a tendency to completely derail the train and go off
Dagdurnit--you're right! And now I've got 'nother song doing loops in my head. :getdown:

Barb, you ain't drinkin' that ale straight are ya?:crazy:

H

Heretic

The phrase "All the advantages of the big city but none of the drawbacks" is often used to discribe places, but not here. Its more like all of the disadvantages of the city but none of the advantages.

For a sleepy "backwoods" place there is a fair amount of crime, drugs, drunks wandering the streets, traffic, and unfriendly neighbors.

I was walking to the Post Office the other day (for exercise) arround 6PM a police officer stoped me and asked me what I was doing. I told him and he advised me against walking in the area. He originally stopped me to see if I was up to no good. I always enjoyed walking places instead of driving my car a mile or so, but arround here that isn't very convienient. That leads me to say I wish some of that tax money went toward better sidewalks and pedestrian concerns.

Im from a backwoods place, Lexington Park isn't even close to backwoods. I guess most people that dont like it say its backwoods.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Re: Give it up!!

Originally posted by StarBuck

I think people are entitled to rant about So MD if they want to w/o the old "if you don't like it, GET OUT" line. It's getting kinda old. How about "If you don't like their rants, (1) don't respond to it, (2) go read another thread." :boo:

So they are entitled to rant but those that love the area can't. Talk about hypocracy. You can take your Clinton loving ass back to Arkansas or up to Harlem where your boy now hangs out for all I care. You, like these other morons, are never happy no matter where you are. All you want to do is bitch about how bad it is here when in fact you have no clue what bad really is. Southern Maryland, love it or leave it.

FIREMAN

There is one tax that no one should never be complained about and that is you fire tax. Volunteer departments save this county millions of dollars by not going paid departments. If you get a chance drive by a scene of an accident, house fire, or medical call. Count the number of volunteers that are out there, just because they care to help the community. There is no paycheck at the end of the day. They are just there to give a helping hand. Your fire tax money helps us go to classes and purchase the equipment that is needed to get the job done. Yourself and your family may need it one day. Just something to think about.

I'm with Ken, if you don't like it here then don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you.

Ken King

PREMO Member

No. I haven't actually. I've heard it's a lot of fun, just never seem to hear about it until after the fact. I just thought "bucksnort" sounded like it should be thrown in there, what with all us backwater folk on the bb, it just has a ring to it. Know whut ah mean, Vern?

I guess you didn't know about all the activities the Bucksnorts did besides the annual party (which was actually a fund raiser). It was a philanthropic organization that helped those in need which for me isn't very backwater.

K

Katie

Originally posted by FIREMAN
If you get a chance drive by a scene of an accident, house fire, or medical call. Count the number of volunteers that are out there, just because they care to help the community. There is no paycheck at the end of the day. They are just there to give a helping hand. Your fire tax money helps us go to classes and purchase the equipment that is needed to get the job done. Yourself and your family may need it one day. Just something to think about.

Woohoo...fireman. You tell'em. I am from up north and they have PAID fire Departments, but also volunteers.