Great, now the kids will never leave...

harleygirl

Working for the weekend
Is it just me or does it seem that the younger generation does not want to grow up?? I moved out of my parents house on my 18th birthday, and never went back. Kids these days would rather stay at home and have expensive toys than live on their own. Now the insurance companies are going to follow suit?

Blue Cross to extend health coverage to age 30 for children on parent's policy

Good news for baby boomers whose adult children aren't leaving the nest: You still might be able to keep them on your health insurance policy.
http://www.azcentral.com/business/articles/0828biz-insure0828.html

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Here's some discussion on the "Failure to Launch" syndrome, which seems to affect men more than women:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2006/03/30/DI2006033001398_pf.html

I have some qualms with the quote below. Taken to its logical conclusion, it would suggest that males and females are incapable of socializing outside the sexual arena, and that gender segregation is inevitable. In my view, men who are uncomfortable working alongside women just need to deal with it and act like adults.

Finksburg, Md.: Back in the dark ages when I was in grade school in the '50's we had patrol boys...Then someone suggested that they let girls join too. Someone, I don't know who, I wish I did remember- said it might not be a good idea because whenever girls join a previously all boys group, the boys no longer want to join. But they admitted girls anyway and sure enough, the boys participation dropped off. I think we see a similar thing today. There are more women than men in college today. I am wondering if, since women sort of left the home and hearth, and went out into the work force in the last 30 or so years, -Since they became patrol kids- maybe, some of the men have stopped participating.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I have no intention of allowing my son to live in my house when he's out of school. He might live with his momma, but he ain't staying with me. I think it a big disservice to the kid that you don't allow them to grow up.

harleygirl

Working for the weekend
From the article......
So far we've just been asking one another the question: What's happening to boys? We've batted around lots of ideas. Maybe the problem has to do with the way the school curriculum has changed. Maybe it has to do with environmental toxins that affect boys differently than girls (not as crazy an idea as it sounds). Maybe it has to do with changes in the workforce, with fewer blue-collar jobs and more emphasis on the service industry. Maybe it's some combination of all of the above, or other factors we haven't yet identified.

Hmmmm....maybe it is because parents give them everything and they do not know what it is like to go out and work for something!

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
harleygirl said:
Hmmmm....maybe it is because parents give them everything and they do not know what it is like to go out and work for something!

That's not so true, I live at home. I have bought and paid for everything I own, no help from mom and dad.

harleygirl

Working for the weekend
aps45819 said:
I have no intention of allowing my son to live in my house when he's out of school. He might live with his momma, but he ain't staying with me. I think it a big disservice to the kid that you don't allow them to grow up.
I agree....even though at the moment I have a 26 year old step-kid in my basement. Since he is back fresh from Iraq, we are giving him a little bit of time. He came home last week with bags of new clothes, new xbox, tons of games, and all kinds of other crap. He was given a gentle warning that his money is better off sitting in the bank, the clock is ticking on the free room and board. I love him dearly, and he would probably live in the basement forever if he were allowed to, but that ain't happening.

harleygirl

Working for the weekend
mv_princess said:
That's not so true, I live at home. I have bought and paid for everything I own, no help from mom and dad.
For some reason, the trend is different for girls, they seem to be more emotionally mature and responsible.

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
harleygirl said:
For some reason, the trend is different for girls, they seem to be more emotionally mature and responsible.
But don't they always boys mature at a slower rate than girls?

Vince

harleygirl said:
Good news for baby boomers whose adult children aren't leaving the nest: You still might be able to keep them on your health insurance policy.
http://www.azcentral.com/business/articles/0828biz-insure0828.html
My daughter turns 23 in Nov and they're kicking her off my policy. Still in college and she's got to get her own health insurance. Told her I'd pay for it until she got a job. Then she's totally on her own.....finally. Graduates next June. :clap:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Vince said:
My daughter turns 23 in Nov and they're kicking her off my policy. Still in college and she's got to get her own health insurance.
Now, see, I think they should allow students to be on their parents' insurance until 25 or so.

Harley, how did your step-son end up back at your house? Is he out of the military?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
vraiblonde said:
Harley, how did your step-son end up back at your house? Is he out of the military?
:yeahthat: I didn't get out of the service untill I had an outside job lined up.

harleygirl

Working for the weekend
vraiblonde said:
Now, see, I think they should allow students to be on their parents' insurance until 25 or so.

He was in the reserves when he was activated. His wife was running around on him right before he was activated, they split, so we were holding all of his personal belongings. They are now divorced.

KarenOT

Have you checked the prices on health insurance? INSANE!! I finish graduate school in May 2007, and I can testify to the fact that the twenty-five or so thousand dollar loan I got (in state at Towson) doesn't leave much wiggle room for insurance. After tuition, rent, textbooks, parking pass (nearly 200 bucks), etc. I had about four hundred dollars left.

Also, with internships and residencies, students are getting older and older before they can be completely independent. I started college classes parttime when I was seventeen, to full time after graduation and I just finished undergrad work in June...With another eleven months of graduate work. There is no way I'd ever be able to do it on my own, and I am really grateful for my parents support...they will be supporting me in some way shape and form until just after my twenty-fourth birthday.

FYI, if your kids are going into health professions they can't go on internships without health insurance. The necessary education level for health professionals is increasing. Remember the age of the residents on ER?...

My fiance and I haven't even gotten married yet and he is attempting to get himself and (hopefully!!) me put on his work insurance policy-if not I will have to pay on an independent policy until I can be added to his work policy during enrollment in December...six mos out of pocket...that's not even considering the first two week to one month layover before I get my first paycheck.

The failure to launch thing...well that is a growing problem. Has anyone seen the movie-there is a trailer on the phenom.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
harleygirl said:
Is it just me or does it seem that the younger generation does not want to grow up??
I don't know if it is that they don't want to "grow up", but more along the lines of it being affordable. I don't know any 18 or 19 year-old that can live in this area on their own. Take my sister for example. She's 18, just graduated from high school this year and is going to CSM for two years, or at least that's her plan. She has a full-time job waitressing and another part-time job 2 days a week. She lives at home because she is allowed, and I'm sure also because she couldn't afford a place of her own. It's not because she is lazy one bit.

KarenOT

A couple I know just moved to North Carolina-they couldn't afford to rent here and real estate is super-expensive in SoMD.

Another friend with a bachelors degree, working on a masters, could only afford a trailer in a trailer park...there was nothing available in her price range in the Lexington Park area...Makes me so glad my fiance's parents are in construction...