My widdle schweety kitty

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
Is a freaking maniac all of a sudden!!! I could probably look this up online but you guys are always so helpful and knowledgable when someone has a question, I want to ask you guys. :doh: My Trixie kitty is almost a yr old. She's pretty loveable and will curl right up on you and sleep for as long as you let her. BUT... now, all of a sudden, as soon as you try to pet her, she tries to take your hand off! :smack: She doesn't scratch at all, she's a biter! I thought she was just pissed at me because hubby hasn't been around much and she loves him, but my son came over today and tried to pet her and she bit the hell out of him. How can I get her to stop biting? She's just as playful as ever and like I said, won't open her paws and scratch, just bites. What could have caused this all of a sudden? Pete, how is Timmy doing? Does he bite? She's even done it to hubby a few times when he is around. It's really hard to love something that wants to take off some of your fingers. :lmao:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
:frown:

How long has she been doing this? I teach all my cats the "no bite" words. Booger likes to playfully nip but will stop when told to.

Hand-raised cats, like Trixie, can sometimes be biters but since she didn't do it as a baby, I doubt that's the problem. I worked with them when I had them so they weren't biters. Timmy did it at first after Pete took him home but he's a doll now.

Does she not feel well? Is something different? Cats are funny..she sounds like she's upset by something. When she bites, I'd ignore her. See if she comes around. Of course, my mother had a biter and she was a biter until the day she died at about 16.

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
I thought about all of that. Nothing different. She seems to be feeling just fine. She's really only been doing it about 2 weeks now. I have tried to figure out if something is different, but really, nothing has changed. Maybe she just doesn't want to be bothered. Well, she has certainly trained me not to bother her. :smack: That's for sure. Thanks catt, I was hoping you would answer. :huggy:

M

Mousebaby

I have a cat that does this too. It's pretty much that she chooses when we pet her and not the other way around. She started biting around 1 too. Now she growls and hisses if you mess with her and she doesn't want you to. But when she does let us pet her and she does feel like snuggling she is the best cat ever! I think it's just the cat attitude! I also have a 17 wk. old kitten that is getting to where she doesn't let us pet her unless she wants us to. She will run away from you if you try and she's not in the mood. So like I said I think it's a cat attitude thing. Hope this helps a little. :huggy:

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
Mousebaby said:
I have a cat that does this too. It's pretty much that she chooses when we pet her and not the other way around. She started biting around 1 too. Now she growls and hisses if you mess with her and she doesn't want you to. But when she does let us pet her and she does feel like snuggling she is the best cat ever! I think it's just the cat attitude! I also have a 17 wk. old kitten that is getting to where she doesn't let us pet her unless she wants us to. She will run away from you if you try and she's not in the mood. So like I said I think it's a cat attitude thing. Hope this helps a little. :huggy:
Yup, that's what it sounds like. Has to be on her terms. Thanks. :howdy:

Pandora

My rescue from under the deck kitty does this every now and then too, but I started saying "no bite" in a firm voice and it slowed her down. Now, when she does it, she will release the jaws with just my "no bite" words.

Cowgirl

I would scruff her and tell her no...maybe give her a firm tap on the nose. It's fine for her to not want attention, but she should not be biting...that's just bad manners. She needs to learn to give other warning signs that she's had enough attention. One of my cats is funny like that too..He will love you one second, but then hiss and run away the next. I've learned that he'll twitch slightly and get tense when he's had enough. Then I just ignore him. I would definitely teach her it is rude to bite and she's not allowed to do it.

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
She just laid up in my lap for about an hour and let me pet, and rub her head and ears. Then she just got up and walked away. I guess it has to be on her terms when she wants some lovin and when she doesn't. I'll try that no bite thing but I'm usually screaming in pain. :killingme