Toddler beds??

nomoney

it depends a lot on the kid, my one son started alternating nights in his crib/big boy bed when he was 17 months old.

My youngest went full time to his when he was 2.

GeezLouise

tired and content....
Mine is almost 17 months.....the other week he decided to climb out of his crib. I have no idea how he did it. He hasn't done it since then, but then I thought maybe it was time to start looking for one.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
If I remember correctly, my daughter was about 2, maybe even a year and a half. I bought her a small, toddler's bed and she slept in it for about a year before getting a twin bed.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
FYI, if you don't want to spend a lot of money on a bed for your young one now, Ikea has some excellent deals.

nomoney

GeezLouise said:
Mine is almost 17 months.....the other week he decided to climb out of his crib. I have no idea how he did it. He hasn't done it since then, but then I thought maybe it was time to start looking for one.

Then it might be a good time to start alternating or at least let him start taking naps in one.

My little man never tried to climb out, but he is small for his age too. We didn't convert him over to a toddler bed until he was 2 1/2 - 3 years old. Just after his 4th birthday he got his "reall big boy bed" which is a loft bed. He calls it his ladder bed and loves it! :yay:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
CableChick said:
My little man never tried to climb out, but he is small for his age too. We didn't convert him over to a toddler bed until he was 2 1/2 - 3 years old. Just after his 4th birthday he got his "reall big boy bed" which is a loft bed. He calls it his ladder bed and loves it! :yay:
We bought my son a loft bed too, when he was 3, and he still loves that thing. :lol: It has a little tent on it.

Vrock

It's not that serious
Nickel said:
We bought my son a loft bed too, when he was 3, and he still loves that thing. :lol: It has a little tent on it.

Mine has the same one! It's great because he thinks he can't get out of it, so he waits at the top of the ladder for me to come get him :D. For some reason he has no trouble climbing into it though!

He went to a toddler bed at 11 months because he was climbing out of his crib anyway and we got him the loft twin bed when we moved here, he's 2.5.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Valarocque said:
Mine has the same one! It's great because he thinks he can't get out of it, so he waits at the top of the ladder for me to come get him :D. For some reason he has no trouble climbing into it though!
Ikea? :lol:

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
She went straight to a twin at 2. We put the mattress and the box spring on the floor, along w/ a safety rail attached to the side and she loved it.

LordStanley

I know nothing
We bought a convertible crib that turned into a toddler bed. If I can remember correctly, he was just over a year old when he started stage diving out of his crib. We took the side off and put a step stool next to his bed, so he could get back in.

Id say if your kid is climbing out at this point put him in a toddler bed.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
It very well may be an isolated occurance. The oldest was in a toddler bed at 17 or 18 months because he was climbing out of his crib on a regular basis. The youngest turned 2 last month and has only climbed out of the crib once and that was with cooertion from the big brother. That was at least a month and a half ago and he's not attempted it since. I do need to go pick up his toddler bed so that I may pass down his crib.

Goobergrl6

ds #1 was about 21 months. Though he did spend 2 months sleeping next to the door though. Never cried though, we just always found him next to the door. Then one day he stayed in bed.....weird kid!

Homer J

Power Chord
GeezLouise said:

When they start to climb out on a regular basis it's time to move them. Both of my kids were around 18 to 24 months when we made the transition. The loft beds sound cool but we bought my son a bunk bed with a futon on the bottom. He slept in the top bunk for awhile but as he got older the novelty wore off so we just left the futon made up and he used it. The top bunk was also a beyotch to make up with all of the rails around it.

sockgirl77

Goobergrl6 said:
ds #1 was about 21 months. Though he did spend 2 months sleeping next to the door though. Never cried though, we just always found him next to the door. Then one day he stayed in bed.....weird kid!
:lol:

At almost 27 months, mine sleeps on the floor a few nights a week. Haven't figured out why yet. He's been doing it since I put him in his big boy bed in February. I keep finding him butt up on the floor. He started climbing out of his crib on a daily basis when he was 15 months. His crib was a convertible. He slept in the toddler bed for a few months. I bought him his big boy bed (twin) in February because I was getting things ready for the new baby. He has the safety rail on it so that he can't fall out. Now, if I could just keep him in it! :lol:

KarenOT

Toddler beds usually run about $100 (Babies-R-Us) and you use your crib mattress...but it might be easier to put him right in a twin with the rail. If he has any fears/difficulty with the transition it's easier for you to lay down with him until he goes to sleep, possibly averting the sleep with mommy and daddy thing, which can last forever. Also a special bedset-Dora/Diego, Power Rangers, etc. will help the big boy thing and probably be more cost efficient and easier to find with a longer life than the toddler bed size bedspread set.

sockgirl77

KarenOT said:
Toddler beds usually run about $100 (Babies-R-Us) and you use your crib mattress...but it might be easier to put him right in a twin with the rail. If he has any fears/difficulty with the transition it's easier for you to lay down with him until he goes to sleep, possibly averting the sleep with mommy and daddy thing, which can last forever. Also a special bedset-Dora/Diego, Power Rangers, etc. will help the big boy thing and probably be more cost efficient and easier to find with a longer life than the toddler bed size bedspread set.
I did his room in NASCAR. He LOVES it! :yay: