Small dog wanted

pupseeker

I am desperately searching for a small, mature dog under 10 lbs. If not an adult, it must at least be housebroken and past its chewing/teething stage. Breed does not matter, the smaller the better and we have no small children here to bother or injure it. It must be good with other dogs and for car rides. Good with kids and cats is a plus but not necessary. Strong preference to a dog fixed and up to date on vaccines. I want a fun, active, very trainable dog. No yappy dogs, appropriate barking is fine. Must not bark when left home alone, which would be rare because head of household works out of the home. I also have a neutered shelter dog under 15 lbs, so the new dog would have human and canine company throughout the day. I would like to adopt from an individual, not a rescue organization. Our family of three avid dog lovers will provide a fantastic forever home with lots of love, attention, training, grooming, and pampering. Please let me know if you need to find a new home for your four legged friend or you know someone who does, please e-mail pictures if possible. Thank you.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Originally posted by Ponytail
Try KB toy stores. I think the Sony "AIBO" is what you are looking for.

Catt was mulling the same type of comment yesterday..She'll be pleased to see others had the same point of view..

Ponytail

Some things, I have no patience for. You either love dogs, or you don't. If you want a trained monkey, go get a trained monkey, or adopt a 10 year old kid.

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Just curious as to why you won't go through a rescue. I know someone I work with who does a personal rescue for small dogs but all she does is save dogs from shelters and find them homes. If you are interested let me know.

pupseeker

response to negative comments

I do not know why I am receiving negative comments about my post. I am searching for a small companion dog to provide a wonderful new home to. I have not searched the classifieds because I want to adopt a dog in need of a new home and keep it out of a shelter. I have tried a few local rescues, but then I decided I want a dog directly from the owner for two reasons. One, I know a rescue dog is safe and will find a great new home. Two, obtaining a dog directly from the owner prevents it from being put to sleep and gives me the most information possible about that new dog, who will be with me for maybe fifteen or more years.
I am not looking for a toy and I do not understand where that comment came from. I have previously own, trained, and shown dogs in obedience. I am a very involved, dedicated owner. I am completely aware of every responsibility of dog ownership. Just because I want a small "fun" dog does not mean I expect or desire a little robot. I posted in the hopes of finding a local person who for some reason can no longer keep their dog and wants to find a new home for it. I was not expecting angry response when I want to rescue a needing dog. I love dogs and I do not know what in my post reflected otherwise. I have previously had two rescue abuse/neglect cases. I just adopted a shelter dog. I most definitely love dogs and so does my family. If you have a dog that you need to find a great new home for, please let me know. If not, thanks for viewing and have a nice day.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Thanks PT!!!

Most rescue organizations are very honest and upfront about their dogs, and they know them very well. Owners on the other hand (not all owners) will say anything to get rid of the dog. If you are as animal savvy as you say you are, you should know this and should also know what provoked the responses you received.

Ponytail

Lets see if we can't find out what provoked the negative comments...

Originally posted by pupseeker
I am desperately (why so desperate? Hmmm...1st indication of something not being right.) searching for a small, mature dog under 10 lbs. If not an adult, it must at least be housebroken and past its chewing/teething stage. (if you are such the trainer/obedience trainer/dog shower/ why would you need one to be already housebroken? Many dogs never get over their chewing, and as long as you understand dogs, and their teething, this shouldn't be a problem either.) Breed does not matter, the smaller the better and we have no small children here to bother or injure it. It must be good with other dogs and for car rides. Good with kids and cats is a plus but not necessary. Strong preference to a dog fixed and up to date on vaccines. (ok, those last few statements...where to begin... To say that you have severely limited your choices is an understatement. If you want to save a dog from being destroyed, and you are such the dog lover, you wouldn't be so limiting in your choices. Sounds like you want a dog, but don't want to pay for anything that goes along with it. So maybe adopting a 10 year old isn't a good idea. How about an 18 year old. That way you can immediately kick them out of the house and not incur any of the costs of upbringing, or college.) I want a fun, active, very trainable dog. No yappy dogs, appropriate barking is fine. Must not bark when left home alone, which would be rare because head of household works out of the home. I also have a neutered shelter dog under 15 lbs, so the new dog would have human and canine company throughout the day. I would like to adopt from an individual, not a rescue organization. Our family of three avid dog lovers will provide a fantastic forever home with lots of love, attention, training, grooming, and pampering. Please let me know if you need to find a new home for your four legged friend or you know someone who does, please e-mail pictures if possible. Thank you.

This sounds like you are some rich, well to-do person/family who is going to leave the chore of caring for a pet up to the family butler. God forbid your pet create a problem or annoy your house guests with "inappropriate barking". What is that exactly? Maybe I shouldn't ask...you might tell me.

Even if I knew of a dog that fit in your incredibly small range of possibilities, I would never notify you of it.

Oh yea, all of this is just one mans humble opinion of your dog request. Nothing personal.

HTH

Last edited:
S

ShellyCW

Re: Re: Small dog wanted

Originally posted by Ponytail
Lets see if we can't find out what provoked the negative comments...

This sounds like you are some rich, well to-do person/family who is going to leave the chore of caring for a pet up to the family butler. God forbid your pet create a problem or annoy your house guests with "inappropriate barking". What is that exactly? Maybe I shouldn't ask...you might tell me.

Even if I knew of a dog that fit in your incredibly small range of possibilities, I would never notify you of it.

Oh yea, all of this is just one mans humble opinion of your dog request. Nothing personal.

HTH

:confused: Do you know Pupseeker? Or are those just assumptions? In the grand scheme of things, I think it's a better idea to shop around for a dog with a well defined idea of what you want. That way if you get a dog home you aren't disappointed and have to send it packing again.

Ponytail

Re: Re: Re: Small dog wanted

Originally posted by ShellyCW
:confused: Do you know Pupseeker? Or are those just assumptions? In the grand scheme of things, I think it's a better idea to shop around for a dog with a well defined idea of what you want. That way if you get a dog home you aren't disappointed and have to send it packing again.

Nope, don't know pupseeker. As stated, I just gave my opinion of her 'ad'.

Just because you have a well defined idea of what type of dog you want, by no means gaurantees you that that is what you will get. It sometimes takes a few years for dogs to develop a personality, and they do change with atmosphere and over time.

With her definition of what would be an acceptable pet, she is increasing her chances of disappointment.

She could very easily wind up with a dog that suffers from separation anxiety. She won't know it though until she leaves the house without the dog for the first time...maybe the 20th time, and come to find the house destroyed.

What then? the dog is suddenly outside of what is acceptable?

It just doesn't sound to me like she is looking for a dog that is actually alive. Maybe a Gund instead.

spinner

I think she sounds like she knows what she is looking for and I hope she finds it. Some of you sound like some you have real issues here. There aren't any guarentees in life, there are lots of disappointments, you get over it. Shoot I wish she was looking for a tailess lab with seperation anxiety that is scared of thunderstorms and gunfire, can't be housetrained, that sheds all over and eats like a moose. I could give her one of those!

Ponytail

Originally posted by spinner
I think she sounds like she knows what she is looking for and I hope she finds it. Some of you sound like some you have real issues here. There aren't any guarentees in life, there are lots of disappointments, you get over it. Shoot I wish she was looking for a tailess lab with seperation anxiety that is scared of thunderstorms and gunfire, can't be housetrained, that sheds all over and eats like a moose. I could give her one of those!

I have one. Seriously. 'cept for the tail-less part. gun shy is an understatement. Wouldn't give her up for the world though.

Mine is on steroids for her skin condition, allergy pills, and tranquilizers during 4th of July, New years and anytime I catch the news in time to see a Thunderstorm coming.

There are days where she'd pee on my foot if I didn't move it, when I take her outside to go. And god forbid that the wind blows when she's in mid-squat. She takes off for the house and will hold it until the next day, or whenever the wind quiets down long enough for her to go.

She ate another shoe today...just to remind me that I can't leave my bedroom closet open. And I mean taht she ate it. usually she leaves the soles. Today, I went home for lunch. I do that from time to time. All that was left was about half the sole. I'll get the rest tomorrow, I'm sure. She good though. She got the match to the last shoe that she ate. out of the half a dozen other leather shoes, she picked that one. She's purty smart. Labs usually are though.

spinner

Our home was supposed to be just temporary for this one...she was hit by a car and broke her tail, instead of having her fixed up and the tail amputated they wanted to have her put down. Cheaper to buy a new dog, you know, and she was 7 years old...I knew somebody who worked at the vets, and say what you will about the vet's around here, Three Notch really came through for this dog, they cleared up her heartworms, spayed her, gave her shots. We brought her home and worked through her issues [and there are many]. She is such a loving dog, but she was always outside before so she just doesn't get the housetraining thing. So who would want her? I guess her forever home is right here.

pupseeker

Judging a stranger

I am receiving a lot of heat from my post. Whether people admit it or not, they are judging me. No, I am not a rich, spoiled person. No I am not looking for a free dog. No I am not looking for a robot dog. No I am not shirking the responsibilities of dog ownership onto another. No I am not an expert dog trainer. Yes I have a specific idea in mind. Yes I do not want to purchase a dog. Yes I want a dog that won't bark home alone. Yes my search is limited. You are judging a perfect stranger whom you have no information on whatsoever. I am confident if you ever met me in person you would never connect me to the ignorant rich snob Pupseeker you have labeled me. You do not know my financial situation, my reasons for wanting a dog, my reasons for searching for a dog as I am, what kind of home I will provide, or what kind of human being I am.
I am aware that dogs chew. I am aware that dogs bark. I am aware of how to housetrain a dog. I am aware that many dogs have seperation anxiety. I have had a dog that had extreme seperation anxiety. He was an abuse/neglect case and we took him in. We discover the hard way his problem, after coming home to a house with window blinds and door frames destroyed. We then began crate and obedience training. He accepted the crate as his safe haven and with obedience training he became more confident and trusting. Pretty soon he no longer needed to be confined when left alone. He was handshy, jumped from sudden movements and sounds, would be startled out of sleep by the slightest noise or nearby movement. Eventually he trusted us and blossomed into an amazing dog and a great friend. Our next dog was a very similar case. Those dear friends have passed away. Our house has been too empty and cheerless without a four-legged friend. Now we have our little shelter dog. He is a great guy, who has adjusted very well. However we want two dogs. Human company is no substitute for a furry friend and two dogs are never lonely or bored, that is why our new dog must get along with dogs.
The head of our household works out of the home, and will walk the dogs and let them out to go to the bathroom regularly. However he has no experience housebreaking puppies and doesn't understand the time, patience, and regular schedule it requires. We know his intentions would be the best, but he wouldn't be too great at this task. He knows this too. He also knows he has a temper and would get upset and resent the dog, unfairly of course, resulting in a not too happy pack. That is why I am seeking a housetrained dog.
We are not looking or expecting a robot dog. We know a dog is a dog. Just like a human is a human. A dog may lose it and pee on the rug. Big deal. A human may lose it and insult a total stranger. Bigger deal.
I would like to thank those of you out there who have sent a few good words my way. This has been very heartening, as the insult and judgement I have received have really hurt me. I really appreciate your support, thank you for not judging me or joining the bandwagon against me. My mother always told me if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. I am not judging or lashing out at anyone to seek revenge. I do not want to hurt anyone's feelings. I continue to respond to the negative comments, and thank those for the positive ones, because I do not want to be understood and will not allow myself to be another's punching bag. If you have a small dog in need of a great new home, I can provide a fantastic one, just post a reply and I will read in within a few days. Thank you.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Well, I have to ask a question - what's wrong with someone advertising for exactly the dog they want? I'd be more concerned if Puppy said she'd just take any ol' dog, without regard to whether it would fit into her household or not.

Puppy, like Sxy said, check the classifieds. There are lots of dogs in there. Or better yet, post your doggy wish list there - it's free and you might get lucky. And do consider a rescue - not all rescue dogs are duds.

Ponytail

Originally posted by spinner
Our home was supposed to be just temporary for this one...She is such a loving dog, but she was always outside before so she just doesn't get the housetraining thing. So who would want her? I guess her forever home is right here.

She'll come around. You really can teach old dogs new tricks. My dog will sit in the kitchen for hours after being let outside. She'll sit there until SOMEBODY gives her a treat for not peeing on the carpet. It was the only way that we found to teach this one to go out. She didn't like newspapers...they made to much noise when she walked on them. :rolleyes:

A buddy of mine got a Chesapeake bay retreiver the same way as you got this one. His was very wild, and quite agressive though.

Last edited:

Ponytail

Re: Judging a stranger

Originally posted by pupseeker
I am receiving a lot of heat from my post. ...If you have a small dog in need of a great new home, I can provide a fantastic one, just post a reply and I will read in within a few days. Thank you.

Yep, we may have been a tad hard on you. I sincerely apologize. I was though only judging your ad. Although a comment or two may have seemed a bit personal. And again, I apologize.

Good luck in your search.