Gray Hair Help

Angel

~*~*~
Forgive me if this question is buried in another thread somewhere already, BUT it seems that my separate colonies of gray hair are resistant to hair dye!!!

I went to a salon and had my hair professionally dyed and my gray did not take the color. I decided (even though I love my hair stylist) that she may have done something wrong, so a few months later, I purchased some dye from the drug store, and I still had the same bad luck.

What do I do? :jameo: Is there a dye potent enough to slap the color back into my grays? My hair is a dark shade of brunette (most people say it's black, but it's not), so my grays stand out like it's nobodies buisness and I cannot stand it!

mAlice

professional daydreamer
The box dye you buy off the shelf has a #20 processor. The higher the number on your processor, the more color it "pulls". If you're trying to cover stubborn gray, you need a #10. Go to Sally's and get your processer, and I recommend a Wella Hair Color, gloves and a mixing bottle. Leave on for 45 minutes. That's what I use and have awesome results.

Angel

~*~*~
elaine said:
The box dye you buy off the shelf has a #20 processor. The higher the number on your processor, the more color it "pulls". If you're trying to cover stubborn gray, you need a #10. Go to Sally's and get your processer, and I recommend a Wella Hair Color, gloves and a mixing bottle. Leave on for 45 minutes. That's what I use and have awesome results.
Is this something a hair dyeing newbie could pull off without going bald?

harleygirl

Working for the weekend
Angel said:
Elaine is right.....#10 processor will do the trick. I gave up a solid color, and get it foiled with blonde highlights. The blonde on top does not show up the gray as bad. You get a #10 and do it yourself as long as you use a good conditioner. Even target now sells Bed Head, Biologe and other salon hair products. Target's Big Sexy Hair works great, and is cheaper there than in the salon.

Mikeinsmd

Angel said:
But, but isn't bald beautiful?? :shrug:

Attachments

• baldandhappy.jpg
    baldandhappy.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 75
  • demi_moore.jpg
    demi_moore.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 94594.jpg
    94594.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Pict243.jpg
    Pict243.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 100

Angel

~*~*~
:yay: Thanks for the information Ladies!

My family is full of beautiful dark haired women, who did not start turning gray until they were in their 40's. I am 30, so I just don't understand why the grays are taking over already. There were a few strands here and there starting around age 25 and I didn't think much of it then, but now they are getting a little out of control. Is this normal at 30?

Jameo

What?!
I've been using Loreal Couleur Experte or whatever Loreal stuff is in the gold box to cover my gray. The color stays nice and vibrant till it's time for a touch up. And the little tube of conditioner it comes with is good stuff!

I've used the stuff from Sally's before and I didn't care for it very much. It dried my hair out to much and didn't seem to cover my gray very long :ohwell:

Jameo

What?!
Angel said:
:yay: Thanks for the information Ladies!

My family is full of beautiful dark haired women, who did not start turning gray until they were in their 40's. I am 30, so I just don't understand why the grays are taking over already. There were a few strands here and there starting around age 25 and I didn't think much of it then, but now they are getting a little out of control. Is this normal at 30?

Shhooottt, I'm not even 30 yet and have a head FULL of gray hair :tantrum Seems like once I hit 25 - WHAM over night I was gray :ohwell:

Angel

~*~*~
Jameo said:
Shhooottt, I'm not even 30 yet and have a head FULL of gray hair :tantrum Seems like once I hit 25 - WHAM over night I was gray :ohwell:
Sorry Jameo... :huggy:

Can the hair pro's on the forum explain this for me? Seriously because I don't understand it. Why do hairs turn gray? Where does the color go? Does the color just disappear all of the sudden or does it grow out? I don't understand.... It doesn't appear to just grow out, it just seems that one day I wake up and an entire strand of hair is sticking out and taunting me because it turned gray.

The Straight Dope...

Dear Cecil:

One of us is getting gray hair. He is only 22 and vain. Why is this happening? Does this mean he won't go bald? Do dark-haired people turn gray earlier or is it only more noticeable? There's some speculation that it means he's run out of pigment? Could this be true? --A friend, Tempe, Arizona

Cecil replies:

The phenomenon of graying is not very well understood. One of the few things that medical science knows for sure, though, is that there's no correlation between gray hair and balding--which gives your friend no guarantee one way or the other.

Hair color is determined by a pigment known as melanin that's distributed through the middle of the hair shaft. The range of color, from blond to brown to black, is determined by the number, size, and, needless to say, color of the pigment granules. Darker hairs show higher trace amounts of copper, which indicates that the metal-based melanin molecules are more highly developed in dark-haired people. That's about it for empirical observation; the rest is mainly speculation.

For some reason the cells that manufacture melanin, known not very imaginatively as "melanocytes," can slow down or stop completely. When this happens, the hair, naturally, begins to lose its color, turning yellow and then gray. Air bubbles, which may mysteriously work their way into the hair shaft, also contribute to graying by blocking the passage of the melanin. Graying seems to be genetically determined, but again, the connection is not all that clear. The process is the same for light- and dark-haired people, but the pigment loss, of course, is more obvious in darker hairs.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
If you are medium brown, DO NOT USE THE CLAIROL NATURAL INSTINCTS, HAZELNUT. I'm a black-haired beauty now and it's kind of growing on me. I pranced around all day singing "I'm too sexy for my hair."