Spring Installation

GRSHPPR

To all,

Tomorrow I will be installing by lowering springs into my car. Now, since this is the first time that I will be doing this, does anyone have any good advice before I start? Also, for the people who have already installed lowering springs into their car, is it really that hard? (Like some people claim)

Last edited:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Put those springy things on that make it go up and down, then you can be in parades and stuff.

male20674

lowering you whip

If you are just putting the springs on the stock shocks be prepared for the shocks and struts to blow out from the added pressure. My recommendation to you is to add a set of good struts/shocks when lowering. I have toticiko (sp) on my Honda with Eibach coilovers. Also the adjustable coilovers i feel are far better because it lets you fine tune how low you want it.

Remember that your camber will be off when you lower your car so a camber kit is also recommended. You will also need to get your vehicle realigned.

What kinda car are you lowering.

Floyd2004

-Void-
male20674 said:
I have toticiko (sp) on my Honda with Eibach coilovers.

Tokico...

I have some Tokico HP's on my car with Eibach Pro springs. lowered about 2" around.

I got lucky, after my install i went to get it checked at a shop and i didnt need an alignment or a camber kit.

Last edited:

Michael Delaney

Porsche 917K
My advice is to be carefull with the spring change. The springs/strut assembly can be heavily loaded making the strut top nut quite the projectile if the proceedure isn't done correctly. Keep your head/face/body away from being over the top nut during dissassembly. Never worked on a Neon, so I am not sure about specifics.
Do you have spring compressors and help? The change is easy, but time consuming. An extra hand is nice. Have PB blaster ready for seized bolts and nuts. An impact gun is nice too.
I would get an alignment afterwards. The $80 alignment will save you from having to spend $400 on worn tires later.
Make sure the struts are correctly and effectivley coupled with the spring rate, and compression distance that the strut is rated for, or you will end up with blown struts.

I never look at a spring change as lowering the car. I look for springs based on the spring rate change (usually a higher ft/lb spring rate), although this often lowers the car.

01mds10

after lowering, go check out raleys alignment.. they do great alignment jobs. did a very good job on my s10, which is lowered.

vanbells

Pookieboo!!!
male20674 said:
Also the adjustable coilovers i feel are far better because it lets you fine tune how low you want it.

Remember that your camber will be off when you lower your car so a camber kit is also recommended. You will also need to get your vehicle realigned.

Full coilovers are usually good like Tein, JIC, etc. Other coilovers that do not come with shocks aren't always good though. Eibach springs are a good brand, so that might not be as bad. Not to many people really adjust the ride height too much though.

Good point about the camber kit.

Last edited:

Floyd2004

-Void-
Michael Delaney said:
My advice is to be carefull with the spring change. The springs/strut assembly can be heavily loaded making the strut top nut quite the projectile if the proceedure isn't done correctly. Keep your head/face/body away from being over the top nut during dissassembly. Never worked on a Neon, so I am not sure about specifics.
Do you have spring compressors and help? The change is easy, but time consuming. An extra hand is nice. Have PB blaster ready for seized bolts and nuts. An impact gun is nice too.
I would get an alignment afterwards. The $80 alignment will save you from having to spend $400 on worn tires later.
Make sure the struts are correctly and effectivley coupled with the spring rate, and compression distance that the strut is rated for, or you will end up with blown struts.

I never look at a spring change as lowering the car. I look for springs based on the spring rate change (usually a higher ft/lb spring rate), although this often lowers the car.

Yea mine was a piece of cake, used the right tools and had no issues. been riding like that for the better part of 1 year now.

FastCarsSpeed

Come Play at BigWoodys
Really depends on the car they are going on. Also if your just doing drop springs on stock struts please realize your stock struts will last maybe 15-20k miles before they will be crap. Also please do not do Coilover sleeves if thats what you have. They are junk and dangerous.

Depending on the drop you may need a camber kit or what they call Crash bolts which allow you to adjust camber, again depends on the car and such.

Go to autozone and get a set of spring compressors. You only need these to get the stock springs off. Also you will need a rag and a good pair of vise grips to grab the strut shaft at the very top right below the Hat so that way you dont blow the strut by spinning it inside the housing.

Putting the drop springs on you shouldnt need the spring compressor. But you may need to trim the rubber bump stops just read the directions for your car to see.

Good Luck...

Charles

GRSHPPR said:
To all,

Tomorrow I will be installing by lowering springs into my car. Now, since this is the first time that I will be doing this, does anyone have any good advice before I start? Also, for the people who have already installed lowering springs into their car, is it really that hard? (Like some people claim)
Since you have to ask the question, maybe you should have some on site help. If it's anything like a regular strut, a newbie mechanic could lose some body parts (human body parts).

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Floyd2004 said:
Tokico...

I have some Tokico HP's on my car with Eibach Pro springs. lowered about 2" around.

I got lucky, after my install i went to get it checked at a shop and i didnt need an alignment or a camber kit.

Heres a picture from last year, i have dont more since then...
Why put 5k of work into a 1.5 k car??

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Floyd2004 said:
Lemme guess you drive a truck...
Actually I drive a bike..

What I don't understand is people that buy cheap cars, and then sink a lot of money into them.. Why not put the money up front and buy a nice car?? I mean, ya buy a Neon, sink 5 - 10k into it, all that money you probably could have bought something nice that probably could have gone 0-60 in less then a minute a half without putting anymore work into it.

FastCarsSpeed

Come Play at BigWoodys
itsbob said:

What I don't understand is people that buy cheap cars, and then sink a lot of money into them.. Why not put the money up front and buy a nice car?? I mean, ya buy a Neon, sink 5 - 10k into it, all that money you probably could have bought something nice that probably could have gone 0-60 in less then a minute a half without putting anymore work into it.

The whole fun thing of it is to modify it. You have to realize a lot of young people cannot aford the car payment of that more expensive car. They save up to do their installs. It also lets them make their car the way they want it to be. Making a huge car payment on a more expensive car means less mod money.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
FastCarsSpeed said:
The whole fun thing of it is to modify it. You have to realize a lot of young people cannot aford the car payment of that more expensive car. They save up to do their installs. It also lets them make their car the way they want it to be. Making a huge car payment on a more expensive car means less mod money.
But putting $2000 shiny wheels on a $1500 car is kind of silly to me..

Floyd2004

-Void-
itsbob said:

You dont own something else?! that sucks...

I bought the Neon because i like it. I didnt buy it because its fast, i mean its a neon... If i wanted a fast overly priced sports car then i would have bought one. Thats not the case. the case is that i have a nice car that i like and that i can drive anywhere i desire.

Im just one of the many that cant settle for stock anything, Even if i had bought a BMW or a Porche then id still mod it.

And i just did a rough tally on my mods... only about 3.5k into it. Thats about as much as im doing.

Floyd2004

-Void-
itsbob said:
But putting $2000 shiny wheels on a $1500 car is kind of silly to me..

Mine wheels are stock... Now the tires on the other hand are not.

I agree to an extent though. If I saw a beat up 85 Camaro with some blinged up wheels id feel a little sick. Likewise it make me sick to see Towncars with 20anything sized wheels on them. That to me is a waste...