Watching someone's cat and have a question

silykids

Is it normal for cats not to eat or drink anything when their owners are away on vacation? Should I be concerned? I'm watching 4 cats and have only seen one. It looks like only 2 cats have eaten or drank anything. Its been about 3 days so far.Thanks for any help.

ocean733

From what I understand, that's normal. They are not in their environment, but they will not starve themselves to death. They'll eventually eat.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Even if they are in their own house and you're stopping in to check on them, feed/water them, etc., it's not abnormal for them to not eat while their owners are away. I used to cat-sit for a lady who traveled a good bit for work, and her cat hardly ate a thing when she was gone.

Angel

~*~*~
Are they at their own home?

Cats are very sensitive when it comes to their people leaving them. Even mourning their people when they die. I'd assume they are just confused right now. I think you have no worries, they will eat when they are hungry, and drink when they are thirsty. :huggy:

Nanny Pam

When my Dad was in the hospital, his cats hardly ate at all.
When my brother was in Key West, his cat hardly ate either.

:shrug:
I think it's normal.

Pandora

ocean733 said:
From what I understand, that's normal. They are not in their environment, but they will not starve themselves to death. They'll eventually eat.

I never knew that....

When we went on travel a few weeks back, we were gone for a week and my house sitter said my kitty hardly ate anything. :ohwell:

When I got back, she jumped in my arms from about the 7th step. My husband just shook his head. I think he is just a tad bit jealous that the kitty loves me a little more than him when HE rescued her. She puts lovings all over him every so often, but as soon as I walk in the house he is chopped liver. ANYWAY enough of my :blahblah:, my point.... she was pacing the kitchen because she wanted me to feed her. I dumped the full bowl of food into the container and scooped it back out. She ate it up.

Cats are so strange. She'll even snub me when she is upset with me.

buddy999

It's Great to be American
silykids said:
Is it normal for cats not to eat or drink anything when their owners are away on vacation? Should I be concerned? I'm watching 4 cats and have only seen one. It looks like only 2 cats have eaten or drank anything. Its been about 3 days so far.Thanks for any help.

My wife and I had someone watch our two cats when we went to Phoenix last year. We left them in the care of a friend who had a number of cats and dogs of her own.

When she was at the trailer, the cats would run and hide. She only saw one of the cats the entire week.

On another occasion, my parents came to visit. They were with us for about 3 days and while they where here, both of the cats remained hidden. They only came out at night.

Some cats are very timid around strangers, especially if the owner doen't get many regular visitors.

If you have a contact number for the owner you may call them and ask if the type of behavior you are seeing is normal for them.

buddy999

It's Great to be American
Pandora said:
I never knew that....

When we went on travel a few weeks back, we were gone for a week and my house sitter said my kitty hardly ate anything. :ohwell:

When I got back, she jumped in my arms from about the 7th step. My husband just shook his head. I think he is just a tad bit jealous that the kitty loves me a little more than him when HE rescued her. She puts lovings all over him every so often, but as soon as I walk in the house he is chopped liver. ANYWAY enough of my :blahblah:, my point.... she was pacing the kitchen because she wanted me to feed her. I dumped the full bowl of food into the container and scooped it back out. She ate it up.

Cats are so strange. She'll even snub me when she is upset with me.

I think it's all a matter of trust. They see you feed them every day and it may take them awhile to become familiar with someone else.

When my wife and I first started dating, they wouldn't come near me. Now, they can't wait until I get home from work because it means that they'll get plenty petting and brushing. When it's bedtime, the two of them are in a race to see who can get the best spot at the end of the bed. :lmao:

BlackSheep

silykids said:
Thanks everyone. Thats a relief to know. And they are in their own home.
BTW-how long are you watching these cats? :whistle:
Just keep changing their water, feeding them and oh, don't forget to clean out their litter boxes! :jameo:

Pandora

buddy999 said:
I think it's all a matter of trust. They see you feed them every day and it may take them awhile to become familiar with someone else.

When my wife and I first started dating, they wouldn't come near me. Now, they can't wait until I get home from work because it means that they'll get plenty petting and brushing. When it's bedtime, the two of them are in a race to see who can get the best spot at the end of the bed. :lmao:

Getting my female cat to "trust" has been a huge challenge. She was found to be living under our deck for about a month before my husband trapped her. I didn't realize she was eating whatever food (like soups that were leftover) I dumped over along the edge of the wooded area by our house. She hardly had hair, horrible mites (they were infested in BOTH ears), and she had a very serious upper respiratory infection (even snores now because of the damage) when he trapped her.

She lived the 1st month of her life here in a bathroom, because the vet wanted her confined to a small area, than I let her have the run of the master bedroom. 3 months later, she was allowed out to run the house but would never walk across the room; she would surf the edges of the wall to get around a room.

A lot of love later (and tons of vet bills), you’d hardly know the cat was found in the condition she was in… behavior and heath wise. The bond I have with her is stronger than I have ever had with any other pet I’ve owned. She races me up and down the steps now too. :lol:

The vet told me if I followed his instructions, she will eventually be Queen B of the house and she is. Oh boy is she :drama:

Pandora

Here she is sitting on her cat post which is right next to my desk. She will sit there and wait for me to go to bed and when it is getting late and I'm not going to bed, she'll SIT on my keyboard, as if to tell me, enough now lets go to BED NOW. :lol:

She is almost a year old and still very small but the vet says she is fine.

Attachments

• Molly_edit.JPG
    Molly_edit.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 91

Angel

~*~*~
Pandora said:
Here she is sitting on her cat post which is right next to my desk. She will sit there and wait for me to go to bed and when it is getting late and I'm not going to bed, she'll SIT on my keyboard, as if to tell me, enough now lets go to BED NOW. :lol:

Too Cute!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Pandora said:
Pretty girl - she looks like our Claudia.

Our rescue kitten is very attached to us as well, more so than the other cats. He was abandoned at two weeks and it wasn't looking real good for him. But obviously he thrived because he's the one I made the fat cat thread about. :lol:

Pandora

Angel said:
Too Cute!

I think so too, but I’m bias :lol:

Here is a picture of my dog Milo with Molly. Those 2 get along very well; in fact all 3 of my pets are the best of friends. The orange one is Tommy, my male cat.

Vrai,

My male is getting fat. :ohwell: I kick his butt outside every night in hopes that he’ll get some exercise, but he walks about a foot and does the Garfield (lays down).

Tommy was angry when we brought the kitten in from the outside this past February. He was fine with her while she was outside, but he hit the roof when he realized we were moving her in and making her a pet. This is when I learned that the “cat snubbing” you’ve mentioned in the past is absolutely true. (and knew from your past descriptions of yours doing it – what he was doing) He would give me this horrid sounding meow (my husband said it was his way of cussing me out) if I spoke to him and it took nearly 2-weeks for him to approach me again.

Everyone calls Tommy a "she" because he is pretty.

Attachments

• Molly_Milo.JPG
    Molly_Milo.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCF0344.JPG
    DSCF0344.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 105
J

jp2854

I see the cat and dog made best friends I take it? The orange one doesnt look too happy. I have 3 cats and none of them snuggle with each other. My aunt has 1 and all 4 of them live in the same house together. Picasso (my male cat) always tries to get in my lap when I am on the computer and block my view so I can't see what I am typing and pebbles (my oldest female )does the same thing but I think she does it because she is cold all the time. My middle aged female loves attention too when you pet her she drools. My 2 male cousins dont want anything to do with her because of it and my other 2 cats are smart they are history when they are home because they terrorize the cats my aunts cat on the other hand is used to the way they treat the cats and tries to run but my oldest male cousin always seems to catch her by the tail (poor kitty it must hurt). I on the other hand always yell at them when they do that to her as its really mean.

I think personally my cats are afraid of men because when they lived wher we were last there were only female human beings in the house no men except when my brother stopped by to visit or took care of them when we were out of town.

Pandora

jp2854 said:
The orange one doesnt look too happy. I have 3 cats and none of them snuggle with each other.

The orange one is Tommy and he was sleeping before I took the camera out, which is why he doesn't look too happy. He could sleep on the bed or sofa but NOOOoooo he crams himself in a shoe box top and goes to sleep in the middle of the Living Room. Silly! :lol: