Money Talks Again!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Chuckster,

Yeah I heard about that too.  Something like a promise to build a pool around Great Mills High School for about 1.2 million.  Who says you can't buy happiness?  It seems to work with our commissioners.

chuckster

IMFUBARED
How many of these "Big Box" stores can we take in this county? This is just another blow to the small businesses in the county and it will surely keep the empty spaces at the shopping centers empty.
News Flash,,,,, WalMart is now going to sell used cars!!!! This is nuts!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I don't understand why they didn't put the pool where the BJ's is going to be.  That spot was originally supposed to be for entertainment (movies).

Seems like that would have been a nice central location for a pool and no more big box stores.  

I just don't think of BJ's as entertaining.....

DarbyOhara

Musician
jlabsher on 12:42 pm on April 24, 2002[br]What exactly (other than the obvious) is a BJ's?

WHAT is WRONG with you people?  Here's a hint!  'B'... rythms with Slow  and  'J'  rythms with rob.........   :roflmao:

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
No Darby, even though I am married, I once was a sailor.  That is the only kind of "BJ" I have ever been cognizent of.  I seriously doubt that could pay for a swimming pool.....well maybe???  Sounds like some kind of store, I was inquiring as to its identity.

DarbyOhara

Musician
jlabsher on 12:55 pm on April 24, 2002[br]No Darby, even though I am married, I once was a sailor.  That is the only kind of "BJ" I have ever been cognizent of.  I seriously doubt that could pay for a swimming pool.....well maybe???  Sounds like some kind of store, I was inquiring as to its identity.

lol.. I was being silly, but getting ignored... made me laugh.. and yes, I suppose it is some kind of BIG store...  I am not even sure if they are talking about our area here...  I did see that the local state council approved a new Bed n' Breakfast in Ridge!  We'll have some BOOM'n business don thar soon!

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Oh great, another place to spend my money on useless junk!  Maybe then I can get into section 8 and live the life of Riley like everybody else.

chuckster

IMFUBARED
cariblue ... the small stores that sold that stuff are gone. Their stores are empty. A shoe store in Wildewood....a dress shop in St Mary's Square .... a clothes store in Leonardtown .... a Toy/ Hobby store in Wildewood ... a Mens Store in Wildewood ... a Dress Shop in San Succi ... There has been a few mom and pops that have gone away. Have you really shopped the small stores? In some cases you can actually save money or pay the same as the big stores. Sure, the small stores don't have the buying power the big chains have but sometimes it is worth the look.
Its just sad to see the small businesses being tossed to the side.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Face it, Chuckster - this is the do-it-yourself age.  Gone are the days when we want the shoe salesman to fit us and suggest a style.  Don't need the butcher to cut our meat - whatever's in the plastic pack is fine.  Buffets work for dining out.  We're willing to get less service it if means a lower price.  But then we all sit around and complain that you can't get good service anymore - interesting.

Darby, <i>I</i> think you're funny, even if no one else gets it.

DarbyOhara

Musician
vraiblonde on 1:38 pm on April 24, 2002[br]Darby, <i>I</i> think you're funny, even if no one else gets it.

OMG!  :eek:   Someone noticed!...

I had no idea what the topic was... but when I seen you write:

Why don't you all want BJs?  Or am I missing something?

woooohoooo!  I had to jump in with... ummm  2 (perhaps 3... lol) feet on that.  Did you really READ what you wrote?  Please read it again...  Betcha your hubby or bf would be rolling if they read it.... the "blonde" was really showing there.... lol

Sierra39

Hairball Magnet
I'm stalking you again, Darby!!! I gotta pot 'o boilin' water, and I'm looking for your pet rabbit....BTW, I think you're funny TOO!

I HAD to reply, because I LOL when I read Vrai's reply concerning BJs...(being the dirty-minded gutter snipe that I am!)

I, too, am tired of the HUGE stores like WalMart...I like small stores where you can actually park close, run in and grab a few screws (if it's a hardware store) and get out in 5 min. or less...NOTHING's more aggravating than when you're in the middle of a home improvement project and you REALLY need some screws and the only place open is WalMart – it takes 30 min. just to hike through their warehouse-sized store to find your screws...another 30 min. to wait in line to PAY for your screws....15 minutes to wait for a price check on your screws...then another 30 min. to FIND your car in the 5-acre parking lot... By the time you're done, you're plum pissed off and tired, the dog has had plenty of time to chew up your project (since you've been gone 2 hours!) and you've got 10 minutes of daylight left to finish 60 minutes worth of work...(yes, this is a true story!)

I, myself, would be HAPPY and GRATEFUL to return to the good 'ol days of customer service over THESE days of price savings! I would pay a few cents more for: home delivery of milk...not having to pump my own gas in the cold rain and have my hand stink all day at work...having my shoes properly fitted my someone who ACTUALLY wants to do a good job of it...a small store where they know the prices and function of ALL their merchandise, so are actually able to help you...and most importantly, movie theaters with ushers who will actually tell people to leave if they don't SHUT UP!!! :lmao:

Vrai – you actually prefer buffets to being waited on??? :eek: I thought they were just public breeding grounds for salmonella... :lmao:

DarbyOhara

Musician
Sierra39 on 4:52 pm on April 25, 2002[br]I'm stalking you again, Darby!!! I gotta pot 'o boilin' water, and I'm looking for your pet rabbit....BTW, I think you're funny TOO!

Hey!  Were you that one in the gas station I met, going through Calvert County last weekend?  I think I had your lemonade! Week before last, I use to look young, have hair and teeth... now I have none of the above.... Hmmmm.....     :scowl: