I'll probably catch crap for this but....

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Is it tacky to take the diamonds out of my old engagement ring and use them when we reset my new one. For those unfamiliar, divorced and that's the ring I'm talking about. I'm not seeing too much wrong with it; they're just sitting in a jewelry box and I have no intention of ever giving them to N as his father is absent from his life. There is almost a carat worth of very nice side stones. The current and I bought my ring knowing we'd re-set it after we were married. Our wedding rings weren't on hand and are rather wide. We just got a solitaire as to ensure that the rings would sit flush against each other. I tried to give the old ring back to the ex when we split but he refused.

Tina2001aniT

pixiegirl said:
Is it tacky to take the diamonds out of my old engagement ring and use them when we reset my new one. For those unfamiliar, divorced and that's the ring I'm talking about. I'm not seeing too much wrong with it; they're just sitting in a jewelry box and I have no intention of ever giving them to N as his father is absent from his life. There is almost a carat worth of very nice side stones. The current and I bought my ring knowing we'd re-set it after we were married. Our wedding rings weren't on hand and are rather wide. We just got a solitaire as to ensure that the rings would sit flush against each other. I tried to give the old ring back to the ex when we split but he refused.

I would see what B's opinion was....If it doesn't bother him, go for it!

pixiegirl said:
I see nothing wrong with it. But because there will be those who will want to turn there nose down at it... I wouldn't make any big deal over where the diamonds came from for the new rings. It's nobody elses concern.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Jameo said:
I wouldn't do it
:yeahthat: I don't think it's tacky, but in my opinion it's inappropriate. I'd reset the diamond(s) in something else...a necklace, earrings, etc. But I wouldn't reuse a diamond from a former marriage in a setting for the new marriage. But that's just my opinion, you do what you want. :lol:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Why not? A friend used the diamonds from her first marriage's engagement/wedding band set to make a lovely pendant. You may as well enjoy them.

rack'm

Jaded
kwillia said:
I see nothing wrong with it. But because there will be those who will want to turn there nose down at it... I wouldn't make any big deal over where the diamonds came from for the new rings. It's nobody elses concern.

Good idea Kwillia........

Pixie, put them in a STFU setting. :yay:

bresamil said:
Why not? A friend used the diamonds from her first marriage's engagement/wedding band set to make a lovely pendant. You may as well enjoy them.
But she's talking about using them for her new wedding set... that's different from a pendant.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
rack'm said:
Go for it, why waste diamonds in a ring you're not going to wear anymore? :shrug:

That's my thinking. It's not like it's only 1/4 carat tw or anything. There's almost a carat in the setting itself. The center stone was crappy quality but the setting had very good quality stones in it. He thought "bigger was better" and strictly went for size and bling factor. A crappy diamond doesn't "bling". :lmao:

Nickel said:
:yeahthat: I don't think it's tacky, but in my opinion it's inappropriate. I'd reset the diamond(s) in something else...a necklace, earrings, etc. But I wouldn't reuse a diamond from a former marriage in a setting for the new marriage. But that's just my opinion, you do what you want. :lol:
:yeahthat:

harleygirl

Working for the weekend
I would do it. I gave my niece my old one, she was able to remove all the diamonds and have a ring made for her and her new hubby.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
kwillia said:
But she's talking about using them for her new wedding set... that's different from a pendant.
They're hers. She owns them. She can do whatever she wants with them. No one needs to know where each diamond came from. :shrug: Unless B objects, why not? Saves them the cash of buying additional diamonds.

On the flip side, my friend the jeweler says he always resets diamonds from used engagement rings because people are superstitious. They think the diamond could be tainted from a bad relationship, so they won't buy used sets for their weddings.

Jameo

What?!
Nickel said:

Yeah, inapproriate is a better word than tacky. Just doesn't seem right to me. Everytime you look at your wedding ring, you should think of your new hubby, not your ex and where the diamonds come from. New man = new diamonds :yay:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Nickel said:

They're bqugettes (sp?). I have a diamond necklace that B gave me and earings from my ma. It's just my thinking that we were already planning on resetting my ring and I have these on-hand and they're free, why pay a couple grand to buy new ones.

When I had it appraised when we were still together the totaly was right around $4K. Over half of it was in the setting. It's worth more than the center stone.

Jameo said:
Yeah, inapproriate is a better word than tacky. Just doesn't seem right to me. Everytime you look at your wedding ring, you should think of your new hubby, not your ex and where the diamonds come from. New man = new diamonds :yay:

:yeahthat:

Personally, I wouldn't feel odd about using the stones in a bracelet, earrings, etc. But not in my engagement ring. New beginnings are just that. Just my .02.