What's Wrong With This Picture? Irony for Today

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Today I walked into Breton Medical in California, MD. Since I was last there a few weeks ago, they have installed a big junk food machine right in the lobby where the clients sit. It contains soda and the typical junk food.

Keep in mind that this is a doctor's office.

I was so astonished when I saw it that I actually said out loud for all to hear, "That's a great thing to have in a doctor's office -- a junk food machine."

So, I sit down and I'm looking at this beast and then I notice hanging right next to it on the wall a big poster probably 2' x 3' in dimensions. As God is my witness, the poster had "Diabetes" in big bold letters and proceeded to give advice like watch what you eat and be sure to get plenty of exercise. On the right half of the poster taking up almost 50% of the space is a big ad for sugar-free Jello Pudding with a huge picture of a bowl of pudding.

My only regret is that I was not carrying my pocket camera.

What's next? Adult Diaper dispensers in the rest rooms?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
David said:
Of course. It's called job security. Eat enough junk food, get diabetes or heart problems, see your doctor for treatment, doctor vacations in Europe.

Very similar to defense lawyers who get their guilty as hell client off on a technicality, ensuring his future business. :yay:

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
David said:
Today I walked into Breton Medical in California, MD. Since I was last there a few weeks ago, they have installed a big junk food machine right in the lobby where the clients sit. It contains soda and the typical junk food.

I was so astonished when I saw it that I actually said out loud for all to hear, "That's a great thing to have in a doctor's office -- a junk food machine."

So, I sit down and I'm looking at this beast and then I notice hanging right next to it on the wall a big poster probably 2' x 3' in dimensions. As God is my witness, the poster had "Diabetes" in big bold letters and proceeded to give advice like watch what you eat and be sure to get plenty of exercise. On the right half of the poster taking up almost 50% of the space is a big ad for sugar-free Jello Pudding with a huge picture of a bowl of pudding.

I agree and some gyms are the same way. For once I would like to see an ALL healthy snacks machine. I think it would catch on if they would give it a chance.

If people can eat those pretzels, red bag skittles and peanut butter crackers from the vending machine they can definitely eat healthy snacks.

forever jewel

Green Eyed Lady
LexiGirl75 said:
I agree and some gyms are the same way. For once I would like to see an ALL healthy snacks machine. I think it would catch on if they would give it a chance.

If people can eat those pretzels, red bag skittles and peanut butter crackers from the vending machine they can definitely eat healthy snacks.

:yeahthat: If we switch out the junk food for healthier food now, we might hear some b*tchin' from the kids now, but the next generation would grow up with it and never know the difference :yay: Ignorance is bliss, right? :dance:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
vraiblonde said:
Of course. It's called job security. Eat enough junk food, get diabetes or heart problems, see your doctor for treatment, doctor vacations in Europe.

I had the exact same thought. Vrai, does it scare you that we sometimes think alike?

mdgirlie

What's the matter with junk food? It's all about control. If you can control what and how much goes in your mouth and exercise like its your job, then you should be OK. It's kind a funny when you think about it. I've seen cops pull people over for driving uncautiously while blabbing on their cell phone, and then see the same cop driving their patrol vehicle while blabbing on their cell phone. I've seen "We don't accept plasma donations from drug addicts" signs in the plasma donation center, but see it packed with crack addicts hooked up to IVs donating plasma for drug money. It's a confusing world full of hypocrites I tell ya.

forever jewel

Green Eyed Lady
mdgirlie said:
What's the matter with junk food? It's all about control. If you can control what and how much goes in your mouth and exercise like its your job, then you should be OK.

I don't want to exercise like its my job to justify eating that kind of food. Personally, my body feels much healthier when I exclude junk food from my daily diet.

But I can't help but eat some ice cream once in a while :yum:

Toxick

Splat
mdgirlie said:
What's the matter with junk food?

I think the point was not the junk food, but the placement of a junk-food dispenser... i.e. in a health-care facility.

It's kind of like running a brothel out of a church basement.

dustin

UAIOE
on my ship we've switched out about 75% of the junk food with healthier snacks in the vending machines. the soda machines are still there, but you can buy juice and water too.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
David said:

If the healthy crap sold, the vending machines would be full of it.. but it doesn't. When it comes down to a 3 Musketeers or a Granola bar, the musketeers wins every time!

Terps

That is horrible. Everyone in this country is complaining about the obesity epidemic that is plagueing our kids and adults all over the US, even the world. If doctors are going to say that people need to eat healthier and exercise and live better lives they should start with promoting it in their office. Its so important for a good diet. Did you comment to the doctor about the vending machine and poster? I hope so and hopefully you let him know he is sending out the wrong message to his patients.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
itsbob said:
If the healthy crap sold, the vending machines would be full of it.. but it doesn't. When it comes down to a 3 Musketeers or a Granola bar, the musketeers wins every time!
Okay, but why does a doctor's office need a snack machine in the first place? Are his patients going to need sustenance while they wait hours for their "appointment"?

dustin

UAIOE
vraiblonde said:
Okay, but why does a doctor's office need a snack machine in the first place? Are his patients going to need sustenance while they wait hours for their "appointment"?
the employees might have wanted it... :shrug:

B

bennydafig

vraiblonde said:
Same reason a car repair shop needs one. Impulse buying while you wait.. a snack to hold you over, a soda to get you through.. another couple of dollars into his pocket.

That and I can't help agreeing with "itsbob" he's just so damn smart.