Blackistone Road Paving ???

Why have they ruined a perfectly good road?

Today when I drove how from work, I found a crew paving my road - not with asphalt, which was already there and in perfectly good shape, but they were using what I think is known as tar and chip. I call it rocks glued together with tar. You drive over it, the tar sticks to your tires, the rocks stick to the tar, and the tire rotation throws the rocks off your tire and onto your car. And the final product is chipped paint with tar on your car. Who's brain-dead idea was that!!

The work is still in progress. So, I don't know if this is the final step. Maybe they will cover the stone with asphalt. Probably they will not.

I guess the old car stays in the garage or I trailer it to route 235!! Must be time for me to write to the county commisioners and maybe the state highway administration.

Anyone out there feel my pain? Or how about a reasonable explaination as to why this step backwarks in road quality.

Last edited:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Stillcrazy,

I have never understand much of what the State Highway Administration does around here. I too have felt the pain and have done the paint touch ups and tar scrubbing. No fun for sure. Wait till the stone lanes develop and then you can really sling the rocks, not to mention get yourself into a slide if it builds up really deep. Be careful until the loose stones are moved off the driving surface.

Cariblue,

Those rocks will sling again during those intense days of summer heat when the tar bubbles up through the rocks in its soft sticky essence. You can actually watch as it “boils” out of the road. Then all the fun of paint chips, cracked windshields, and broken headlights.

G

giggles04

You just gotta love it! hahaha yeah right. They screw up more roads around here than the man in the moon. They're doing a lot of the side roads down my way like that... and honestly its a pain! Its nice when it seems that all of the stone has settled into the road... but on a nice 90 some degree day.... that will change all together. Oh boy!

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
You would have loved it a few years ago when they had reflective markers cut into the white and yellow lines, so you can see them better in the rain, along the major roads in the county.

They followed it up by paving over them two months later!

Bureaucracy at its best!

G

giggles04

Ha... I remember that! Half of the things they do to roads around here are crazy! I'm one of those people that wishes that we could still have 235 the way it was like 15 yrs ago.... that would be so much nicer.... and this county would be a heck of a lot quiter!

shammy

You really have to wonder sometimes what kind of rocket scientists they've got working on the roads around here. Like who designed the 2-lane turning light at the intersection of great mills rd and route 5? It is so pointless because there is still only 1 lane on route 5 to turn onto. Now it's just you fight to get in front of the slow-people-pack and they end up getting to cut in front of you at that light anyway!!!
How about the 3 lanes going to 2 when you hit gate 1 of the base on 235. Brilliant! People putt in the fast lane then try to cut you off when they hit the light and realize they're now in a turning lane.
As for the tar and rocks, they did that to my road about 10 years ago. Like cariblue said it will eventually dry and no longer pummel your car with rocks. My fiance has a transam and he raises hell when they redo it every year. It seems just when the rocks are all settled in and all the tar is covered up they'll come back and do it all over again. :burning:

G

giggles04

Hahaha... yeah pretty much! Gotta love it!

As for Route 5 and Great Mills road.... All I have to say about that is the fact that I'm just glad that I get in the lane to go South... rather than North!

Originally posted by cariblue
where is this road? I'd like to avoid it!

Blackistone Road is off of Clarkes Landing road (off Rt 235) in Hollywood. It's not a through road. So unless your visiting friends or family, you probably won't encounter it.

G

giggles04

Yeah... but there are other side roads that they are doing that to.... so you're bound to have to deal with it sometime or other!

mrs potts

What about that strech of New Market Turner Road between Golden Beach Road to Route 6. IF you drink milk on that road, you will end up with a milkshake! :D

G

giggles04

This girl is clueless on that one.... too far up the road for me!!!! Not in my neck of the woods!

G

giggles04

Nah... I meant me!!!!!!!!
Any roads north of Great Mills... I have no clue what they're like....
I stay on the south end!