Flan recipe

Anyone have an easy flan recipe? I had some at Mexico the other night, and it was so delicious. :yum:

I looked online but there are so many variations. I thought I'd start here to see if you guys have anything.

punjabigyrl

you can buy some at shoppers or food lion in the international section and make it your self. All you have to do with it is make the sugar syrup, mix the powder with milk and stick it in the fridge to cool....enjoy

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
This is a very easy recipe:

Caramel Flan

INGREDIENTS:

3/4 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 3/4 cups water
1 (14 ounce) can EAGLE BRAND® Sweetened Condensed Milk (NOT evaporated milk)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In heavy skillet, over medium heat, cook sugar, stirring constantly until melted and caramel-colored. Pour into ungreased 1 1/2 -quart ring mold* or 9-inch round or square baking pan, tilting to coat bottom completely. In medium bowl, beat eggs; stir in water, EAGLE BRAND®, vanilla and salt. Pour over caramelized sugar; set pan in larger pan (a broiler pan). Fill larger pan with 1-inch hot water. Bake 55 to 60 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool. Chill. Loosen side of flan with knife; invert onto serving plate with rim. Garnish as desired. Refrigerate leftovers.

* If using ring mold, decrease sugar to 1/3 cup.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
The more classic version but well worth it:

Flan

INGREDIENTS:

4 eggs
5 egg yolks
1 cup white sugar
3 cups heavy cream
1 cup half-and-half cream
1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
1 orange peel
1/2 fluid ounce orange liqueur (Grand Marnier)

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

In a medium bowl, beat eggs and yolks. Beat in sugar until smooth. Set aside.
In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine cream, half-and-half, the vanilla bean and its scrapings, and the peel of one orange. Heat until bubbles form at edges of liquid, reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes. Beat hot cream into egg mixture, a little at a time, until all is incorporated. Stir in orange liqueur. Pour into 6 individual ramekins or custard cups.

Line a roasting pan with a damp kitchen towel. Place ramekins on towel, inside roasting pan, and place roasting pan on oven rack. Fill roasting pan with boiling water to reach halfway up the sides of the ramekins.

Bake in preheated oven 45 to 60 minutes, until set. Let cool completely before serving.

:drool:

punjabigyrl said:
you can buy some at shoppers or food lion in the international section and make it your self. All you have to do with it is make the sugar syrup, mix the powder with milk and stick it in the fridge to cool....enjoy

I'll check at Giant or Safeway to see if they have it. :yay:

jazz lady said:

Caramel Flan

INGREDIENTS:

3/4 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 3/4 cups water
1/8 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS:

In heavy skillet, over medium heat, cook sugar, stirring constantly until melted and caramel-colored. Pour into ungreased 1 1/2 -quart ring mold* or 9-inch round or square baking pan, tilting to coat bottom completely. In medium bowl, beat eggs; stir in water, EAGLE BRAND®, vanilla and salt. Pour over caramelized sugar; set pan in larger pan (a broiler pan). Fill larger pan with 1-inch hot water. Bake 55 to 60 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool. Chill. Loosen side of flan with knife; invert onto serving plate with rim. Garnish as desired. Refrigerate leftovers.

* If using ring mold, decrease sugar to 1/3 cup.

Mmm, this sounds good! TYVM! :huggy:

BlackSheep

Isn't flan the same as egg custard?
Hey Nanny Pammmmmmmmm didn't we eat that stuff when we was youngins????
:killingme

F

Fallen

jazz lady said:

Oyster Flan

INGREDIENTS:

6 lbs oysters out of the shell
4 eggs
1 3/4 cups water
1/8 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS:

In heavy skillet, over medium heat, cook oysters, stirring constantly until cooked and sticking to the pan. Dump into ungreased 1 1/2 -quart ring mold* or 9-inch round or square baking pan, tilting to coat bottom completely. In medium bowl, beat eggs; stir in water, EAGLE BRAND®, vanilla and salt. Pour over caramelized sugar; set pan in larger pan (a broiler pan). Fill larger pan with 1-inch hot water. Bake 55 to 60 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool. Chill. Loosen side of flan with knife; invert onto serving plate with rim. Garnish as desired. Refrigerate leftovers.

* If using ring mold, decrease oysters to 4 lbs.

:fixed: Now CMC will eat it :biggrin:

Flan and Oysters alone or together are :barf:

T

tikipirate

Next time I have 6 pounds of shucked oysters, flan will be on the menu!

Until then, I will stick with my Hangtown Fry:

Cook down 4 ounces (more or less) of bacon.

Sautee one large onion, roughly chopped, in bacon fat.

Chopped red pepper never hurts.

Add one pint drained oysters. Cook until edges curl.

Scramble in 4 to 6 eggs. Cayenne sounds good about now.

Serve on sourdough toast. Top with capers.

Caramel topping optional.

R

remaxrealtor

punjabigyrl said:
That's where I get mine and I add toasted coconut, MMMMMM!