Cleaning image sensor

I've got a few specks of dust on the sensor (Rebel OES). I'm a little nervous about cleaning it, does anyone have any tips?

mainman

Set Trippin
desertrat said:
I've got a few specks of dust on the sensor (Rebel OES). I'm a little nervous about cleaning it, does anyone have any tips?
Just a suggestion so I dont know, how about a short quick burst of air from a compressed can..:shrug:

Jameo

What?!
mainman said:
Just a suggestion so I dont know, how about a short quick burst of air from a compressed can..:shrug:

After Dems's little episode :lmao: and I actually read the back of a can of compressed air, your not supposed to use it on camera mirrors :shrug:

ylexot

Super Genius
It's strange...with the Rebel, I never had problems with dust on the sensor. With the 5D, I've had problems with it twice so far. I guess it's time for me to get sensor cleaning gear.

I just set the camera for sensor cleaning, turn it so the opening is facing down, and use an air blower (not compressed air) to blow stuff away. It worked the first time.

Also, for a cheap and readily available air blower, you can get a suction bulb that's used to suck out mucus from babies. Costs about a buck or two and is the same thing as a Giottos Rocket that sells for >$10.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Never use compressed air inside a camera or on a lens.

You can get a blower bulb for $10. Just be careful not to wack anything inside the camera with the tip. I use a Giottos Rocket-Air. I typically put the camera on the tripod and point it down at like a 45-degree angle to keep more dust from falling in while you are working on it.

Some people suggest using these sensor cleaning kits where you actually sweep the sensor with a sterile pad. Some people say they have good luck, many cringe when you suggest it, and I don't think any manufacturer will go on record as approving of their use.

If you are using a Nikon, I recommend getting their Nikon Capture software for around $100. It can actually remove dust spots using software. Just take a reference photo (a special camera setting, then shoot at a pure white background 10cm away). The software then uses the reference photo as an overlay to calculate and remove the dust spots.

Some of the newer cameras have an ultrasonic filter on them to vibrate the dust away.

jbr13

www.jbr.smugmug.com
This site will tell you everything you need to know about cleaning your sensor. I would first try a blast of air, from something like the Rocket. These things put out a BIG burst of air the is not going to damage your sensor. If that still doesn't clean it, then you may want to get the senor swabs and cleaning solution. I have used this on my D50, and it is not hard.

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/cleaning.html

Jason