Motor Oil

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
New clothes and now an oil change, oh my, the world is coming to an end. :killingme

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Kyle said:
Mobil 1, Performax or some other Full Sythethic.
:nono: read you owners manual concerning any required break in period. I won't go to synthetic till after 10k miles.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Just noticed it's a 2004, how many miles on it?
...and if you got it new, why'd you wait 2 years to change the oil?

Agee

aps45819 said:
Just noticed it's a 2004, how many miles on it?
...and if you got it new, why'd you wait 2 years to change the oil?

55 K, bought it used about a month ago... Owners manual recommends weight/viscosity, but not manufacturers or synthetic vs. conventional.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Airgasm said:
55 K, bought it used about a month ago... Owners manual recommends weight/viscosity, but not manufacturers or synthetic vs. conventional.
Synthetics resist breakdown much better than conventional, i.e. they'll last longer. If it's easy to get to the filter and you can change it without a complet oil drain you can be good to go for longer intervals. If you're going to change the oil and filter every 3k miles, don't think it's worth the extra expense.

Floyd2004

-Void-
If the Jeep has has ANY conventional oil in it then you are doomed to that and that only. Going from Conventional to syn. will break down most of your seals mush faster.

BUT if the previous owner used Full Syn. (stock for any DCX vehicle) then keep on using it. I Use full syn. and change it out every 5-7k with no issues. Its an 04' with 53k on the dial

EDIT: Oh yea, my car uses 5W-30 Mobil 1.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Floyd2004 said:
If the Jeep has has ANY conventional oil in it then you are doomed to that and that only. Going from Conventional to syn. will break down most of your seals mush faster.
I heard that story many times myself and changed over to sythethic on a 92 F-150 at 60K and a 1999 E-150 at 24k. Never had a leak.

Had a friend who changed over his 99 F-150 at 70-some Thousand miles and never had a problem.

Read up on the issue but I'd venture a guess that this is just one of those old wives tales left over from the days of compressed-fiber, cheap rubber and rope main seals.

Dukesdad

I use Castrol GTX in everything I have.If you do go synthetic, remember to only add synthetic if it is low between changes. Yes, we are supposed to check the dipstick frequently. I forget lots of times myself...

Agee

Floyd2004 said:

BUT if the previous owner used Full Syn. (stock for any DCX vehicle) then keep on using it. I Use full syn. and change it out every 5-7k with no issues. Its an 04' with 53k on the dial

EDIT: Oh yea, my car uses 5W-30 Mobil 1.

Jeep? V-8, I-6?

willie

Kyle said:
I heard that story many times myself and changed over to sythethic on a 92 F-150 at 60K and a 1999 E-150 at 24k. Never had a leak.

Had a friend who changed over his 99 F-150 at 70-some Thousand miles and never had a problem.

Read up on the issue but I'd venture a guess that this is just one of those old wives tales left over from the days of compressed-fiber, cheap rubber and rope main seals.
:yeahthat:
If you are going to keep it forever, synthetic is the way to go otherwise 5w-30 every 5-6000 miles.

Pete

Repete
CMC122 said:
So my Yuxon that has 70,000 miles on it can definately be changed over to synthetic:eyebrow:
After the initial break in (about 2 oil changes) you can convert to synthetic anytime. I have had several dozen vehicles and never once had an oil leak after switching to sythetic.

CMC122

Go Braves!
Pete said:
After the initial break in (about 2 oil changes) you can convert to synthetic anytime. I have had several dozen vehicles and never once had an oil leak after switching to sythetic.
After you switch it over how often do you change it? Isn't it longer intervals?

Pete

Repete
CMC122 said:
After you switch it over how often do you change it? Isn't it longer intervals?
Typically double the manufacturers recommended interval. If you have a Yukon you have the oil monitoring system that prompts you to change the oil when the computer calculates based on miles, engine revolutions and work load, just reset it and go again. You should change the filter and top off when prompted to change the oil, but changing the oil can go 2 cycles.

CMC122

Go Braves!
Pete said:
Typically double the manufacturers recommended interval. If you have a Yukon you have the oil monitoring system that prompts you to change the oil when the computer calculates based on miles, engine revolutions and work load, just reset it and go again. You should change the filter and top off when prompted to change the oil, but changing the oil can go 2 cycles.
I bet it will feel very wierd to resist the change the first few times:lol: