Volkswagen

N

nitwhit3286

Have a VW Passat 4 motion. the engine light came on yesterday and started acting funny like shaking forward and backward for a minute. Have an appointment at waldorf VW...I am hoping it is not anything serious. Has anyone else had this happen to their vw? Mind you this is only a 2002

bcp

In My Opinion
the small oem vacuum hoses (with the woven covering) go bad very rapidly. The rubber dries out, and they crack and crumble. Replace any that are found to be bad, and the light and message should go out after a few trips. Tip: don't use oem hose, or you will have the same problem in a few thousand miles. Toss those crimped clamps, but do use clamps - even an intermittent leak can set off the check engine light and notice.

dustin

UAIOE
the stealership has a code reader they plug into a jack under your dash that reads fault codes. once they run that they will decipher the code and tell you what they think is wrong. then they start replacing parts until the code goes away. $3 grand later your car is fixed with a bunch of parts that didnt need to be replaced.

or you can go to autozone and let them scan it for you for free and they will tell you what they have as a code. granted this probably wont be as specific as VW could guess, but its a start. Once you have the gouge from autozone, get on the internet and do a google search for the problem on your car, any recalls, and also check volkwagen forums FAQ like www.vwvortex.com

good luck.

N

nitwhit3286

Thanks so much for your help...I guess hubby is stilling at the VW dealership right now so I guess he is going to see what needs to be fixed...as for the recall...it has already been upgraded and was back in 2004. So, the engine light finally went off yesterday I dunno if that was a good thing or not. WE will see!

Mikeinsmd

nitwhit3286 said:
Thanks so much for your help...I guess hubby is stilling at the VW dealership right now so I guess he is going to see what needs to be fixed...as for the recall...it has already been upgraded and was back in 2004. So, the engine light finally went off yesterday I dunno if that was a good thing or not. WE will see!
All you had to do was change the blinker fluid. :duh:

John Z

if you will
dustin said:
the stealership has a code reader they plug into a jack under your dash that reads fault codes. once they run that they will decipher the code and tell you what they think is wrong. then they start replacing parts until the code goes away. $3 grand later your car is fixed with a bunch of parts that didnt need to be replaced.

or you can go to autozone and let them scan it for you for free and they will tell you what they have as a code. granted this probably wont be as specific as VW could guess, but its a start. Once you have the gouge from autozone, get on the internet and do a google search for the problem on your car, any recalls, and also check volkwagen forums FAQ like www.vwvortex.com

good luck.

Interesting; Autozone has a code reader that works on VAG products? That is good info.

Waldorf VW, they are great folks, but Dustin is right about price. Their labor rate is currently $87/hr, and I'll bet reading codes will cost that much minimum.

I just had them look at my '96 Jetta GLX for A/C that doesn't cool. They said (after their $87 diagnostic) that the compressor and drier needed to be replaced, and the job would cost $1675. $995 of that is for the compressor (which I can buy new online for $400). Talk about cha-ching!

dustin

UAIOE
John Z said:
Interesting; Autozone has a code reader that works on VAG products? That is good info.

Waldorf VW, they are great folks, but Dustin is right about price. Their labor rate is currently $87/hr, and I'll bet reading codes will cost that much minimum.

I just had them look at my '96 Jetta GLX for A/C that doesn't cool. They said (after their $87 diagnostic) that the compressor and drier needed to be replaced, and the job would cost $1675. $995 of that is for the compressor (which I can buy new online for $400). Talk about cha-ching!
when's the last time you had it charged?

I had autozone read codes on our old 96 Audi A4. They arent the specific codes like the dealer can read but generic codes. IIRC.