Gibson exhaust on trucks?

John Z

if you will
Anybody have opinions on Gibson exhaust systems? I'm in the market for a new exhaust for my 2002 Silverado 1500 (2wd). It came from the dealership with a split rear exhaust system (indeterminate brand, installed by Southern Comfort Conversions). The system is rusty and actually broke where the two pipes split after the muffler/resonator.

Anyhoo, the Gibson systems seem nice, and there are a lot of differnt configurations (I'm leaning towards a more normal swept side exhaust). Here is the pic from their website of the type I'm looking at.

Attachments

• gibson.jpg
    gibson.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 160

willie

There are a lot of opinions on this site and I believe they are mostly favorable. I had a Flowmaster, one in two out that sounded real good. The Flowmaster hurt the low end torque noticeably on my 5.3 so my Yukon will stay stock.
http://www.gm-trucks.com/home/

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
I'm sure the Gibson is a good product but it is a very expensive system too....Have you considered going to a custom shop and have the exhaust system made up and installed....If you are in Calvert, I know a guy that is great on custom exhausts...I am in St. Mary's and I went to him...By the time you buy the Gibson and pay to have it out on, you've tied up a bunch....

John Z

if you will
Yeah, I've gone both routes (ordering a name brand system and had it installed, and gone to Midas and had them do a 'custom' job). I like the name brand ones because they actually mandrel bend the pipes, but I suppose I'm going to pay a bit more. The Gibson systems are $320 for aluminized or $460 for stainless steel (at Summit Racing).

I live in the Waldorf area.

willie

If you're going to keep the truck, stainless is the only way to go. Mine was a local install of supposedly the best products blah...blah...blah and after 4 years it rusted out at the welds. Stainless Corsa's on a Vette look brand new after 5 years.

Ponytail

I put a Gibson Cat back on my Jeep about 5 years ago. I LOVED it. I had a Dyno something or other on it before the Gibson, and not only did it not last long but it sounded like hell. Was too loud in the cab too.

The Gibson systems have a really nice tone to them without being overbearing and the fit was perfect. I got the aluminized system and it has held up will. The only thing that has rusted so far are the baffles inside the muffler. They blew right out. :yay: But that hasn't noticeably affected the sound or performance.

Not too bad for being 5 years old, and being beat on rocks and mud fairly consistantly for the first 3, and sitting in the front yard for the last 2. I used to get compliments on the sound too, was even accused of having a 302 conversion under the hood and had to stop and pop the hood to show him otherwise. Good sound is hard to accomplish out of Heep.

:yay:

John Z said:
Anybody have opinions on Gibson exhaust systems? I'm in the market for a new exhaust for my 2002 Silverado 1500 (2wd). It came from the dealership with a split rear exhaust system (indeterminate brand, installed by Southern Comfort Conversions). The system is rusty and actually broke where the two pipes split after the muffler/resonator.

Anyhoo, the Gibson systems seem nice, and there are a lot of differnt configurations (I'm leaning towards a more normal swept side exhaust). Here is the pic from their website of the type I'm looking at.
I like mine on my 2002 Silverado, it looks like the same system.

John Z

if you will
dustin said:
CHERRY BOMBS! :lol:

No way! :shocking: Actually, it is a bit loud now. Funny thing, when I crawl under there to look at it, the "muffler" is so small it looks like a slight widening in the exhaust tubing and not like a traditional muffler. I think the Gibson will actually quiet things down a lot while giving me *some* growl.

dustin

UAIOE
John Z said:
No way! :shocking: Actually, it is a bit loud now. Funny thing, when I crawl under there to look at it, the "muffler" is so small it looks like a slight widening in the exhaust tubing and not like a traditional muffler. I think the Gibson will actually quiet things down a lot while giving me *some* growl.
that might just be a resonator?

John Z

if you will
dustin said:
that might just be a resonator?

Yeah, I was thinking that too. But how likely is it that I don't even have an actual muffler on the truck, and it came that way from the dealer? :eyebrow:

dustin

UAIOE
John Z said:
Yeah, I was thinking that too. But how likely is it that I don't even have an actual muffler on the truck, and it came that way from the dealer? :eyebrow:
good point

I wonder what does the MD state inspection cover as far as exhaust goes?

dustin

UAIOE
oh and I hear pretty much universally that Gibsons arent obnoxiously loud and do increase HP and keeps/improves low end torque from stock. :yay:

John Z

if you will
dustin said:
good point

I wonder what does the MD state inspection cover as far as exhaust goes?

I don't know, but probably they just check that the piping is intact, exits the car in an accpetable location, has catalytic converter(s), has something that looks like a muffler (resonators are probably OK), and doesn't sound exceedingly loud.

I assume that new vehicles don't get state safety inspections, not sure though.

John Z said:
I don't know, but probably they just check that the piping is intact, exits the car in an accpetable location, has catalytic converter(s), has something that looks like a muffler (resonators are probably OK), and doesn't sound exceedingly loud.

I assume that new vehicles don't get state safety inspections, not sure though.
The muffler on the Siverado is pretty small. The catalytic converter actually does a lot of the sound suppression. Your truck will be just a bit louder and sound better with the Gibson.