Candidates Forum

navigator

The persons on the November 7th General Election ballot in St. Mary’s County will be in the position to make decisions that can have a profound effect on your life and the lives of your family, friends and neighbors.
Many animal related issues also wind up in the political arena. In Annapolis laws have been changed recently to make animal cruelty a misdemeanor. Did they go far enough? How about laws controlling tying up dogs outside unattended? What do you think about giving away animals as prizes at fairs and carnivals? Should pet stores be regulated? At the county level are we ready for our own shelter? How is the Tri-County Animal Shelter doing? Do the animal control regulations go far enough?
These are all questions that you as voters should be able to ask of the candidates. Now you will have that opportunity. St. Mary’s Animal Welfare League is sponsoring its first ever candidates forum on Monday, October 23rd in the auditorium of the College of Southern Maryland, Leonardtown campus. The event starts with a meet and greet of the candidates at 6:30, and the forum from 7-9 p.m.
At the forum you will be able to write questions that will be addressed to the candidates for the offices of county commissioner, delegate, state senator and sheriff. Those questions can be animal related or whatever else you would like to discuss. Questions to be asked will be chosen from a panel of SMAWL board members. Long-time SMAWL member Dick Myers will moderate.
Tell your animal loving friends about this event. We hope you will join us on October 23rd to discuss the issues in this important November 7th General election in St. Mary’s County.

Last edited:

Animals4Life

navigator said:
The persons on the November 7th General Election ballot in St. Mary’s County will be in the position to make decisions that can have a profound effect on your life and the lives of your family, friends and neighbors.
Many animal related issues also wind up in the political arena. In Annapolis laws have been changed recently to make animal cruelty a misdemeanor. Did they go far enough? How about laws controlling tying up dogs outside unattended? What do you think about giving away animals as prizes at fairs and carnivals? Should pet stores be regulated? At the county level are we ready for our own shelter? How is the Tri-County Animal Shelter doing? Do the animal control regulations go far enough?
These are all questions that you as voters should be able to ask of the candidates. Now you will have that opportunity. St. Mary’s Animal Welfare League is sponsoring its first ever candidates forum on Monday, October 23rd in the auditorium of the College of Southern Maryland, Leonardtown campus. The event starts with a meet and greet of the candidates at 6:30, and the forum from 7-9 p.m.
At the forum you will be able to write questions that will be addressed to the candidates for the offices of county commissioner, delegate, state senator and sheriff. Those questions can be animal related or whatever else you would like to discuss. Questions to be asked will be chosen from a panel of SMAWL board members. Long-time SMAWL member Dick Myers will moderate.
Tell your animal loving friends about this event. We hope you will join us on October 23rd to discuss the issues in this important November 7th General election in St. Mary’s County.

So this is a general forum which means any topics may be presented by anyone in attendance and not just animal related topics?

SoftballCrazy

Nucklesack said:
Wrong

check the attached picture
They weren't referring to THIS forum, but this one from the first paragraph.
:smack:
The event starts with a meet and greet of the candidates at 6:30, and the forum from 7-9 p.m.

Animals4Life

Nucklesack said:
Wrong

check the attached picture

No not this forum......the forum to be held at CSM on the 23rd is a general forum and not just animal related. I was curious because I did not want to sit through hours of forums about all areas of our county. Thanks.

navigator

No, the forum is OPEN TO ALL QUESTIONS FROM THE AUDIENCE ON ALL TOPICS. We have also posted the announcement on the Political and Election forums because this is an OPEN FORUM.

navigator

The people of our county have expressed many concerns to us regarding animal issues. We wanted to sponsor this event to give them a chance to be heard by those people who can make a difference. Although this is an open forum, we feel the majority of the discussion will focus on animal issues. The discussion period will be two hours.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
navigator said:
The people of our county have expressed many concerns to us regarding animal issues. We wanted to sponsor this event to give them a chance to be heard by those people who can make a difference. Although this is an open forum, we feel the majority of the discussion will focus on animal issues. The discussion period will be two hours.

Calvert County should have the same type of forum. That way we can ask them to ask Calvert County Animal Control how it is that they let those 18 horses starve when it was reported to them back in May!!

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
SouthernMdRocks said:
Calvert County should have the same type of forum. That way we can ask them to ask Calvert County Animal Control how it is that they let those 18 horses starve when it was reported to them back in May!!
I will second that motion! :flowers:
And also, Why they let the Bum get off without being charged with animal neglect or at least being held financially responcible for the damage he did to the horses!

Last edited:

SouthernMdRocks

mygoldnhorse said:
I will second that motion! :flowers:
And also, Why they let the Bum get off without being charged with animal neglect or at least being held financially responcible for the damage he did to the horses!

Yep, that is right. Still find it unbelievable that he will walk.

SouthernMdRocks

SouthernMdRocks said:

Candidates Forum 10-17-2006 03:24 PM Go & crawl back under the rock you came from - POS!

:lmao: :killingme

I would say back at you and happily sign my name to it!!! :buttkick:

SoftballCrazy

SouthernMdRocks said:
Candidates Forum 10-17-2006 03:24 PM Go & crawl back under the rock you came from - POS!

:lmao: :killingme

I would say back at you and happily sign my name to it!!! :buttkick:
HEY! I got the same message! Sheesh...at least be creative and leave a different msg...haha
10-17-2006 03:22 PM Go & crawl back under the rock you came from - POS!
What is POS? :shrug:

SouthernMdRocks

SoftballCrazy said:
HEY! I got the same message! Sheesh...at least be creative and leave a different msg...haha
10-17-2006 03:22 PM Go & crawl back under the rock you came from - POS!
What is POS? :shrug:

My guess would be, piece of shiat!!
I think someone just enjoys sending out those stupid bulk red karma's. Do they actually think it bothers us. :whistle:

Animals4Life

SoftballCrazy said:
So.............any feedback from the forum last night? I got some from a co-worker and she said that McKay could care less about the animals and that Mattingly and Raley both said things were fine at the shelter but then changed their tune when talked to afterwards and presented with some cold hard facts. :smack: Ken Carkhuff (republican candidate) was very supportive.

SouthernMdRocks

Animals4Life said:
So.............any feedback from the forum last night? I got some from a co-worker and she said that McKay could care less about the animals and that Mattingly and Raley both said things were fine at the shelter but then changed their tune when talked to afterwards and presented with some cold hard facts. :smack: Ken Carkhuff (republican candidate) was very supportive.

Thanks for the information. Glad to hear a republican candidate cared!

SoftballCrazy

Animals4Life said:
I haven't heard anything...couldn't make it to the forum due to not feeling well...Alot of folks don't realize what the shelter is like here. I think DC did a great job w/ one of their shelters, they have heated floors and looked like kuranda beds for the dogs....I'm sure a towel on the wet/damp concrete floor at Tri Cty is is not very comfy, esp for the older dogs w/ arthritis...I'm trying to get some info from some folks that were supposed to go...

Animals4Life

navigator said:
Ken Carkhuff had actually gone to TCAS and done some homework on the issues before he came to the forum.
That is what my co-worker said also. That is pretty impressive that he would do that. Maybe "new blood" in this "good ole boy county" is just what is needed. I wonder if Raley or Mattingly will investigate further since their attention was called to the facts? Can't blame a girl for wishing :angel: