something cool I learned today in anatomy class: Head cases

A

Aura

Many times when a person has had a head injury to the frontal bone (forehead area) - it can change their personality for life.
It can sober up a wild chid, and make a sinner out of a saint.
It doesnt even have to be a major blow, for the frontal lobe (the area of the brain that affects the personality) to be altered for life.

have you ever known someone hit by a baseball bat when they were the catcher?
or someone been in a car accident? even whiplash can cause a change in personality, when the impact causes the frontal lobe to be slammed inside the head.
Its crazy how delicate, and really just amazing the human body is.

It goes to show that your personality isn't always gentically predisposed, but your personality really is based on experiences- it sound really like a stupidly simple statement, but that is something that has been the matter of heated debate: wether your personality is inherited, or a matter of life experience. Some people claim that personality flaws can't be fixed or altered.
THat people dont change-that what was in them to do has always been there.
for example murderers, personality disorders, sexual promiscuity...
most of the people in my class are either, LPNs transitioning to RNs or CNAs or work in hospitals, well one lady told of a patient who had been in the hospital a few times for recurring pnumonia(over a years time), he is a 17 year old boy, was a good catholic -altar boy kid. well one day he went in to the ER with a head injury, he had gotten hit (more like bumped ) by a car while he was on his skateboard, he fell and recieved a head injury to his frontal bone( a concussion with hemotoma) while he was recovering, he spent 2 nights in the hospital for observation- he started to proposition the nurses -GROWN WOMEN TWICE HIS AGE!
its pretty freaky how delicate yet resilient our human bodies are. he didn't have any bleeding yet he was permanantly injured.
they said that these types of injuries dont present as what someone might think brain damage is- but only like their personalities have changed.
I just thought it was amazing- I came home did more reading and wanted to type something out about it- SOMD wa the only place I thought someone might find it interesting :smack: <-- hey look this smiley might be getting his personality changed, over, and over, and over.....

http://www.state.sc.us/ddsn/pubs/head/equip.htm

Frontal Lobe Syndromes - Include symptoms of behavioral dyscontrol, such as:

* Impulsivity and disinhibition, particularly in orbitofrontal injury
* Blunted affect, emotional and/or social withdrawal, passivity, and lack of spontaneity, particularly in dorsalateral cortex injury
* Aggression, outbursts of rage, and violent behavior, particularly in damage to the inferior orbital surface of the frontal lobe
* Amotivation and apathy, particularly in mesial frontal lobe damage
* Disorganization
* Attentional and memory deficits
* Executive dysfunction, particularly in damage to the dorsal convexity of the frontal lobes
* Mood dysregulation
* Impaired social judgement
* Uncharacteristic lewdness
* Inability to appreciate the effects of one's own behavior or remarks on others
* Impaired communication skills, such as an impaired capacity to understand conversational inference (Pearce, et al 1998)
* Loss of social graces
* Diminution of attention to personal appearance and hygiene
* Boisterousness
* Stronger imitative response tendencies (Brass, et al 2003)

Last edited by a moderator:

lillymay

I got kicked out of Borders for moving all the bibles to the fiction section!

OMG this is so awesome that I want to go to Boarders now! How much fun! Muah***

A

Aura

mainman said:
Are you saying that someone we know has had a head injury in the past? :confused:
my daughter got hit in the head with a baseball bat last year got a concussion and I din't notice any personality differences.
but then again she is a child and kids bounce, but I came home and was facinated by this because I immediatly thought of my daughter and I researched it more online. it just seemed like a lot of research to waste,so I wanted to put it somewhere without bookmarking it
I don't know-I thought SOMD could like it or lump it-It was just so intresting to me...it felt like I found $5.00 or something..and i thought it might intrest someone out there in the great big world of internetland :shrug:

harleygirl

Working for the weekend
This can in fact happen, but it is very rare. Years ago before we knew more about psychiatric medical conditions, strange or deviant behavior was always blamed on prior head trauma. Now in most cases it is schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, or something of that nature.

H

HollowSoul

so basicly what she is saying is that if you don't like the way someone is acting........BEAT EM IN THE HEAD!

M

Mousebaby

Actually I find it very interesting! I have had at least 3 or 4 said head injurys, one resulting in an actual fracture. Makes me wonder if that is why I have had so much trouble with my moods during my life. You've given me something to talk to my doctor about. Can you tell me, can these head injury's result in frequent severe headaches? :confused:

A

Aura

Mousebaby said:
Actually I find it very interesting! I have had at least 3 or 4 said head injurys, one resulting in an actual fracture. Makes me wonder if that is why I have had so much trouble with my moods during my life. You've given me something to talk to my doctor about. Can you tell me, can these head injury's result in frequent severe headaches? :confused:

actually- I found one website that actually said: depending on where on your frontal bone you recieved your head injury, the different ways your personality could be affected.

mood, an headaches would be a side affect of head injury...
well, let me see if I can find you that link ...

here it is I found it,
sounds like you might have post concussion syndrome???
link for post concussion syndrome

here is the other link stating where different areas injured can affect the personality differentlyel linko

A

Aura

HollowSoul said:
so basicly what she is saying is that if you don't like the way someone is acting........BEAT EM IN THE HEAD!

or :jet:
knocking some sense into someone

M

Mousebaby

Aura said:
actually- I found one website that actually said: depending on where on your frontal bone you recieved your head injury, the different ways your personality could be affected.

mood, an headaches would be a side affect of head injury...
well, let me see if I can find you that link ...

here it is I found it,
sounds like you might have post concussion syndrome???
link for post concussion syndrome

here is the other link stating where different areas injured can affect the personality differentlyel linko

Unfortunately I don't think that could be me because this happened 31 yr.s ago. I was thrown from a very large horse and landed on my forehead on a rock. Maybe my headaches are really just migraines. Oh well it didn't hurt to ask. Thanks :howdy: