Moving with kids next month...

Hawkeyewife

Hello!
In a couple of weeks our my family is relocating to Pax River NAS from Norfolk, VA. I have a 3 and 1/2 yr old and a 17 month old and I am looking for a preschool for our older child since she has been attending a two day program for the last year and really enjoys it. I have talked to a few schools over the phone, but I am intrested in hearing opinions on what is offered in the region.

I plan on going to the local library system once we get settled and look into storytimes etc, but I welcome any information on programs in the area.

I was also wondering if anybody has a recomendation on gyms or recreation centers in the area that offer childcare. We currently belong to our local YMCA which offers great childcare while I work out. It is very important to me to keep up exercise since I have lost over 60 pounds since last year and I plan on keeping it off. Is anybody involved in Weight Watchers? I have been extremely successful with them and would like to continue with a group in MD.

Thanks in Advance for your feedback.

Elisa

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Can I toss out a suggestion? I know a lot of parents enjoy their workout time, and would like to have the kids being watched while you're doing it. But can you cut some of your "gym" time and make it more family exercise time?

Too many kids nowadays are becoming obese at an early age. Rather than stick 'em in some room while you go tone your tush, take 'em outside and play soccer with them, or go rollerblading, bike riding, etc. Heck, take them for a walk/hike if they're too young to do that stuff. Anything ... but don't focus your exercise energies so much on yourself ... include the kids and set good habits for them now so they don't fall into the rutt a lot of kids today seem to fall into.

And good luck with your move. :yay:

Hawkeyewife said:
Hello!
In a couple of weeks our my family is relocating to Pax River NAS from Norfolk, VA. I have a 3 and 1/2 yr old and a 17 month old and I am looking for a preschool for our older child since she has been attending a two day program for the last year and really enjoys it. I have talked to a few schools over the phone, but I am intrested in hearing opinions on what is offered in the region.

I plan on going to the local library system once we get settled and look into storytimes etc, but I welcome any information on programs in the area.

I was also wondering if anybody has a recomendation on gyms or recreation centers in the area that offer childcare. We currently belong to our local YMCA which offers great childcare while I work out. It is very important to me to keep up exercise since I have lost over 60 pounds since last year and I plan on keeping it off. Is anybody involved in Weight Watchers? I have been extremely successful with them and would like to continue with a group in MD.

Elisa
Where are you planning to live? That has a large bearing on what we recommend for preschools and what not.

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
Hawkeyewife said:
Hello!

Elisa

Pro Fitness has a childcare within the gym as do others. If you want to continue to workout, you could join one of the local gyms.

K

Katie

Maximum Fitness has childcare also. They do have a Kid Fit program also for the kids to move it and have fun.

The county has activites that will get the kids active also.

There is a Weight Watchers meeting on Saturday morning at Chancellor's Run Park at 9:30 am. They also have ones on Monday night and Wednesday during the day.

Go the website and put in the zip code 20653(Lexington Park, MD) and it will give you the different times and locations.

Weight Watchers is a good program. I have lost over 100 with it.

Vince

Depending on where you're going to live will depend on the gym you're using. World Gym is in Leonardtown and in Calvert County just north on rt 4. Calvert County School system is very good and your 3 1/2 year old will be school age soon.

Hawkeyewife

Thanks so much for your replies. We are going to be living on base since we'll only be in Pax for a year or so (at least that is what they are telling us right now). I will look into St Andrews, thanks!

I am active with my kids, we spend a lot of time outdoors and my daughter (3 yrs old) has participated in children races whenever I run a race that offers a kids program. At the YMCA here, one of my kids usually is taking a class (swimming or gymnatstics) and the other is in daycare, I usually workout before or after the class. With two kids under 3 I find that is the best way for us to participate. I also feel that my personal gym time is important since I am a stay at home mom and over the last 3 and a half years my husband has been away 2/3's of the time on deployment. The gym time keeps me "sane" and allows me to be more focused on my kids when we reunite an hour or so later. Also, I found that over the last year my fitness has improved to the point that I need my time alone for intensity purposes. I don't get a great workout when I have to stop every 2 minutes to address the issues of my 17 month old. Sorry for the long explanation, I guess its a sore spot.

Anyway, I do appreciate your responses.

Elisa

Hawkeyewife

Thanks Again, I have to take my daughter to school now. I'll check out the forum later again this afternoon (naptime).

Elisa

jayden0405

Hi My mom is a Weight Watchers instructor in the Waldorf location, but I know she has substituted for some leaders down in the St. Marys/Calvert area, so I know that there are meetings that are offered down there. I must CONGRATUALTE you on yoru success with Weight Watchers, it had worked for MANY people.

Hawkeyewife said:
Hello!

Elisa

Hawkeyewife

THANKS! I called Honey McCallum and they have one slot in the PM 3's class. I drove by the school when we went up to househunt but didn't get a chance to visit since it was a weekend.

sockgirl77

crabcake said:
Can I toss out a suggestion? I know a lot of parents enjoy their workout time, and would like to have the kids being watched while you're doing it. But can you cut some of your "gym" time and make it more family exercise time?
Great idea! Those gym daycares are germ pits! :dead:

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
sockgirl77 said:
Great idea! Those gym daycares are germ pits! :dead:

My two kids go all the time and they haven't gotten sick from going. I guess it all depends on if you are a total germaphobe and keep your children in a bubble so when something new is introduced to them, they get sick.

CMC122

Go Braves!
jwwb2000 said:
My two kids go all the time and they haven't gotten sick from going. I guess it all depends on if you are a total germaphobe and keep your children in a bubble so when something new is introduced to them, they get sick.
That's not always true. When I used to go to ProFitness my kids got sick every freaking time I had them in their play room and I'm no germaphobe bubble person:shrug:

sockgirl77

jwwb2000 said:
A friend of mine used to work at the gym in Leonardtown. Her daughters went with her alot. They stayed sick. She quit there in May and have not been sick other than a minor cold since. :shrug:

Hawkeyewife

The reason we go to our YMCA here in Norfolk is due to the "germ factor". There are three gyms that offer childcare that are closer to me, but I felt that the Y's standards were higher and there are a lot of opportunities to take classes/activities with the kids.

I do keep antibacterial wash in the car and whenever I feel like the kids have not washed enough while out I clean thier hands off once I get them in the carseats, that seems to help.

I don't suppose the gym on base offers childcare. Unfortunately, my husband's schedule is going to be pretty busy so I don't know how much he'll be able to watch the kids so I can get a workout in. I am also training for a half-marathon (I did my first one in September) and don't want to get off track.

Thanks for the Weight Watcher's info, I hope to pick that back up before Thanksgiving.

Any info on the Parks, which ones are the best for say, a 1 and 3 year old.

THANKS!

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
sockgirl77 said:
A friend of mine used to work at the gym in Leonardtown. Her daughters went with her alot. They stayed sick. She quit there in May and have not been sick other than a minor cold since. :shrug:

Guess it all depends on the kids.