Controversy in 3rd Grade

Cross or No Cross?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
So DQ is running for student government. She has to give a speech, make a campaign poster, etc. So I'm helping her with the poster, coming up with things to put on it, and she cuts out a cross that she wants included. (Yes, she's a believer, goes to Sunday School, etc.).

Now, we all know that there's no place for Christianity in school (according to the lefties), but I personally don't have any problem with it.

Should I let her put it on there, or should I explain the politics associated with this, and why she can't/shouldn't? :shrug:

(Wait for the poll)

Last edited:

harleygirl

Working for the weekend
crabcake said:
So DQ is running for student government. She has to give a speech, make a campaign poster, etc. So I'm helping her with the poster, coming up with things to put on it, and she cuts out a cross that she wants included. (Yes, she's a believer, goes to Sunday School, etc.).

Now, we all know that there's no place for Christianity in school (according to the lefties), but I personally don't have any problem with it.

Should I let her put it on there, or should I explain the politics associated with this, and why she can't/shouldn't? :shrug:

(Wait for the poll)
If she wants a cross, go for it. It is never too early for her to stand up for what she believes in.... :yay:

punjabigyrl

I would let her do it. Simply because, running for lass president is a school life experience. Also, explain to her why you think it is a problem. good luck to her.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
crabcake said:

(Wait for the poll)
Put the cross on it, when they suspend/ expel her you can contact the ACLU to sue the school ...

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
itsbob said:
Put the cross on it, when they suspend/ expel her you can contact the ACLU to sue the school ...
And when you win a gazillion dollars, be sure to share it with the rest of us who voted the cross stays. :yay: :biggrin:

Tina2001aniT

I think it would be a great opportunity for a life lesson in Sticking up for what you believe/Not letting others reactuion affect what you are comfortable with....

crabcake

I'm thinking there is less chance of a backlash on this here (the Bible Belt), than we'd have up north. My instincts are to say, "Yes, let her put it on there." But my parental/responsible side says, "If you think it might be a problem, don't even go there." :tap:

crabcake

Chasey_Lane said:
And when you win a gazillion dollars, be sure to share it with the rest of us who voted the cross stays. :yay: :biggrin:

:lmao: You bet! We'll all get together, drink wine, and scream "Oh God" for hours and hours. :banana:

rack'm

Jaded
crabcake said:
I'm thinking there is less chance of a backlash on this here (the Bible Belt), than we'd have up north. My instincts are to say, "Yes, let her put it on there." But my parental/responsible side says, "If you think it might be a problem, don't even go there." :tap:

Yeah......capitulation is always the easiest way to go.....:duh:

Geek

crabcake said:

Any time I was teaching in schools we loved and encouraged kids to describe their culture. Sometimes parents would come in and make special foods for certain times of the year. I always make Jewish food and share with the class.

crabcake

rack'm said:
Yeah......capitulation is always the easiest way to go.....:duh:

Come on now, this is ME we're talking about. When have you EVER known me to walk away from a good fight? :really:

I'm thinking more along the lines of the girl who was on the beach drunk and passed out, and got raped. She kinda knew going into it that it wasn't the best place to camp out for the night drunk, yet she did it anyway. Or someone who wears a low-cut blouse, then gets pissed for guys checking out her ta-tas. :shrug: Kinda like, "Well, what'd ya expect? :smack:" ... know wheat I mean?

If I can forecast that it MIGHT be a problem, should I go forward with it anyway, and just suck it up if there are problems? Go forward with it anyway, pretend I didn't think there might be a problem, and go spastic on the principal if there IS a problem?

rack'm

Jaded
crabcake said:
Come on now, this is ME we're talking about. When have you EVER known me to walk away from a good fight? :really:

I'm thinking more along the lines of the girl who was on the beach drunk and passed out, and got raped. She kinda knew going into it that it wasn't the best place to camp out for the night drunk, yet she did it anyway. Or someone who wears a low-cut blouse, then gets pissed for guys checking out her ta-tas. :shrug: Kinda like, "Well, what'd ya expect? :smack:" ... know wheat I mean?

If I can forecast that it MIGHT be a problem, should I go forward with it anyway, and just suck it up if there are problems? Go forward with it anyway, pretend I didn't think there might be a problem, and go spastic on the principal if there IS a problem?

Well, if you really want to find out, call the principle at the school and ask.

I personally think that they will make you keep it off the poster to be sure not to "offend" some poor child. :duh:

We're becoming a society of sissbags who will do anything to keep the vast minority of people happy. :F'ingsad:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
The smartest thing to do is consult school policy.

If they don't allow religious symbols in school, why would you allow her to decorate her poster with such items and risk expulsion? That's not inviting a lawsuit or sticking up for your beliefs, that's going against the rules and regulations of that school and any trouble or fallout or disciplinary action that may result is your fault as the parent.

However, if her school doesn't have a policy against religious items, then go for it.

It's kind of like the kid who got expelled for wearing a t-shirt with a picture of a gun on it. NRA advocates were outraged, however, the school policy stated clearly no images of weapons allowed.

crabcake

Geek said:
Any time I was teaching in schools we loved and encouraged kids to describe their culture. Sometimes parents would come in and make special foods for certain times of the year. I always make Jewish food and share with the class.

You know what -- you just sealed it for me.

She WILL put the cross on there.

Her school is part of the International Baccalaureate Program (magnet school program), where they encourage and learn about different cultures, beliefs, backgrounds, etc., as well as the basic academics. I didn't think about that aspect of it.

:yay: :yay: for Diversity! :thewave: