Low-Carb Pasta

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Does such a thing exist? I'm a carb nut! But I'm also realistic and know I can't eat this stuff like I want and not see it reappear on my ass. :lol:

I didn't see anything at the grocery story that jumped out at me as a low-carb pasta. Anyone know where I can find one/some? :shrug: I'm not picky about the shape/size, etc. I just need some pasta. I have a couple of recipes I want to try for lunches, but like I said, I don't want to see my ass expand at the expense of good eats. :ohwell:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I don't know about low-carb, but if you try the wheat or multi grain pasta it's better for you. It also tastes :yum:

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
How about the whole grain pasta? Not sure how many carbs it contains, but it is a bit healthier for ya.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Our grocery store sells a tri-color pasta that's made from vegetables. I can't for the life of me remember the brand, or which vegetables, but it's over by the spaghetti, in a bag.

Vince

migtig said:
I don't know about low-carb, but if you try the wheat or multi grain pasta it's better for you. It also tastes :yum:
:yeahthat: Some pastas have less starch than others. "Starches are the most basic form of carbohydrates. It is found in all fruits, vegetables, grains and legumes. Starch is broken down in our digestive tract into small molecules of glucose, which are then absorbed and transported into cells for energy production."

Last edited:

crabcake

I've seen the wheat and veggie pastas, and they're good, but most don't contain any significant less amount of carbs than regular pasta. :ohwell:

We can put a man on the moon; George Bush can create a hurricane, but we can't figure out how to significantly reduce the amount of carbs in pasta. :banghead:

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
I buy the Dreamfields pasta (in the black box). It's only got 5 grams of digestible carbs per serving; and even my persnippity husband loves the taste.

I know they sell it at Giant, and I believe I've seen it at Shoppers as well.

crabcake

Club'nBabySeals said:
I buy the Dreamfields pasta (in the black box). It's only got 5 grams of digestible carbs per serving; and even my persnippity husband loves the taste.

:confused: Digestible carbs? I need a carbs-for-dummies briefing. :lol:

I'll check it out and see if they carry it at our grocery stores here. Thanks! :yay:

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
crabcake said:
:confused: Digestible carbs? I need a carbs-for-dummies briefing. :lol:

It basically means you don't count the "roughage" that simply passes through your body without being turned to energy or fat. Dietary Fiber is the most common thing that you can subtract from the total carb count. Since whole grains are much higher in Dietary Fiber than processed wheats and white flour, that's why you see the difference in digestible carbs between whole wheat and regular pasta. It's also a good excuse to give up white bread in favor of wheat bread.

crabcake

Club'nBabySeals said:
It's also a good excuse to give up white bread in favor of wheat bread.

I usually buy wheat english muffins, order my lunch sandwiches on wheat, etc. Even DQ prefers wheat bread over white (which is amazing, considering she's a kid.)

forever jewel

Green Eyed Lady
I thought about the low-carb diet and remembered how much I love carbs. Since I'd probably fail within a day or two, I decided to just eat the whole grain carbohydrates in moderation and its worked so far :popcorn:

Club'nBabySeals said:

I tried Dreamfields pasta for the first time this week and it was delish.

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
forever jewel said:
I thought about the low-carb diet and remembered how much I love carbs. Since I'd probably fail within a day or two, I decided to just eat the whole grain carbohydrates in moderation and its worked so far :popcorn:

Just limiting myself to one real meal a day has been working for me. Plus spending extra time at the gym. One more week and I will have to buy new pants :getdown:

CMC122

Go Braves!
jwwb2000 said:
Just limiting myself to one real meal a day has been working for me. Plus spending extra time at the gym. One more week and I will have to buy new pants :getdown:
You're only eating one meal a day?

Or are you limiting your carbs to one meal a day? I only eat carbs at breakfast and I always have protein with it:yay: It's helped tremendously!

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
CMC122 said:
You're only eating one meal a day?

Or are you limiting your carbs to one meal a day? I only eat carbs at breakfast and I always have protein with it:yay: It's helped tremendously!

Yes. One well balanced meal a day. Throughout the day I will have lots of water and a protein shake or two. Also on the days I go to the gym, I have one SOBE Power drinks.

forever jewel

Green Eyed Lady
jwwb2000 said:

I can't limit carbs to one meal a day. I base my diet off the food pyramid: certain number of carbs, fruits/veggies and protein throughout the day. I also try to include color in my diet. Makes fulfilling the daily requirement easier! :yay:

CMC122

Go Braves!
jwwb2000 said:
Yes. One well balanced meal a day. Throughout the day I will have lots of water and a protein shake or two. Also on the days I go to the gym, I have one SOBE Power drinks.
How is that teaching yourself to eat healthy:tap:

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
CMC122 said:
How is that teaching yourself to eat healthy:tap:

Once I get to the weight I want to be at, eating a little more a day should not be an issue as long as I keep up the steady workout schedule. Hell, I never at a lot when I was in my teens and most of my twenties. I decided since my ass was way bigger than it should be, I would just go back to my eating habits of before of barely anything.

CMC122

Go Braves!
jwwb2000 said:
Once I get to the weight I want to be at, eating a little more a day should not be an issue as long as I keep up the steady workout schedule. Hell, I never at a lot when I was in my teens and most of my twenties. I decided since my ass was way bigger than it should be, I would just go back to my eating habits of before of barely anything.
Why not incorporate all your new healthy habits at once? Adding lots of veggies and cutting out the bad stuff AND exercising? I hate to think of how you're damaging your self by living off of protien shakes all day then one meal. You're hair is gonna fall out:lol:

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
CMC122 said:
Why not incorporate all your new healthy habits at once? Adding lots of veggies and cutting out the bad stuff AND exercising? I hate to think of how you're damaging your self by living off of protien shakes all day then one meal. You're hair is gonna fall out:lol:

My hair didn't fall out before so I should be good to go. Plus I do not like veggies.