Car maintenance day!

Pete

Repete
So after doing some work this morning Boy and I hit Cheeseburger in Paradise for lunch, then off for supplies.

Changed the oil and filter. I don't mind doing this except for trying to get the catch can in the right spot for that first surge of oil when you drain it. I now have a oil slick in my driveway. :mad:

So I have the truck jacked up and I am underneath pulling the drain plug. WTF is that dripping on me I ask. Must be water from the frame, oh wait, it smells like oil. Dang shock is squirting oil over and it is dripping on me. :banghead:

Get the oil changed and move onto the spark plugs. GM is easier than some but the back cylinder on the left side sucks ass to get to. Finished.

Air filter no problem. Off to Car Quest for a shock. Don't have it and besides it is $97 each. :yikes: Off to AutoZone. $29 each, replace both front ones.

Now I am fairly mechanically inclined due to my upbringing in Dog Patch Georgia on the farm. I effing hate changing shocks, particularly front shocks/struts. It top where the strut protrudes through the frame is a biatch. So I have my ratchet, I have to reach through the plastic fenderwell so I can get 1/8th of a turn on the rusty nut before having to ratchet it back. I can't reach the top to put a wrench on it to keep the strut from spinning so I use a pipe wrench on the metal ring. Took me 2 hours, my hands and arms are cut up, my back hurts but now it is Black and Tan time!

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
K_Jo and I did the same thing today. Well, just the cheeseburger part! :lol:

Enjoy that beer. :cheers: It sounds like you really earned it.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Pete said:
So after doing some work this morning Boy and I hit Cheeseburger in Paradise for lunch, then off for supplies.

Changed the oil and filter. I don't mind doing this except for trying to get the catch can in the right spot for that first surge of oil when you drain it. I now have a oil slick in my driveway. :mad:

So I have the truck jacked up and I am underneath pulling the drain plug. WTF is that dripping on me I ask. Must be water from the frame, oh wait, it smells like oil. Dang shock is squirting oil over and it is dripping on me. :banghead:

Get the oil changed and move onto the spark plugs. GM is easier than some but the back cylinder on the left side sucks ass to get to. Finished.

Air filter no problem. Off to Car Quest for a shock. Don't have it and besides it is $97 each. :yikes: Off to AutoZone. $29 each, replace both front ones.

Now I am fairly mechanically inclined due to my upbringing in Dog Patch Georgia on the farm. I effing hate changing shocks, particularly front shocks/struts. It top where the strut protrudes through the frame is a biatch. So I have my ratchet, I have to reach through the plastic fenderwell so I can get 1/8th of a turn on the rusty nut before having to ratchet it back. I can't reach the top to put a wrench on it to keep the strut from spinning so I use a pipe wrench on the metal ring. Took me 2 hours, my hands and arms are cut up, my back hurts but now it is Black and Tan time!
Cheseldynes ( or however you spell it) is my best friend, weiner boy. :lmao:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Pete said:
Funny, I figured a body shop would be your best friend. :confused:
I never wreck anything except personal body parts. I need to kick your ass. This entire weekend, well except for most of Sunday, is devoted to riding the new bike. You might want to stay off 235.

dustin

UAIOE
Pete when you loosened the top strut nut did the shock rod turn as well? I had that happen to me while working on a buddies Chevy. A real PITA that was.

Pete

Repete
dustin said:
Pete when you loosened the top strut nut did the shock rod turn as well? I had that happen to me while working on a buddies Chevy. A real PITA that was.
Yup, and the strut nut was rusty and turned like a biatch. No way to hold it except a pipe wrench on the top flange.