ps3

cdsulhoff

Okay, So how many of you are going out to get the new PS3 in a couple of weeks?? My hubby is set on getting one and I am thinking he is nuts. The damn thing is $600. I do not think it is worth the $600, however my hubby thinks that it is a steal because it has the bluray DVD set up.. Then you have the new Wii by Nintendo. Kids want that one but hubby wants PS3. Looks like I am going to be broke yet another Christmas...

dustin

UAIOE
600 bucks? yeah right.

we sure dont plan on getting one anytime within the next couple years.

sony is trying to pass off bluray as the next big thing but the DVD market has such a stronghold on the current technology i dont see bluray taking off for another couple years if that.

Goobergrl6

cdsulhoff said:
The damn thing is $600. I do not think it is worth the $600, however my hubby thinks that it is a steal because it has the bluray DVD set up..

Welcome to my world! Hubby is saying the same stuff to me! LOL! See you at the store!

Last edited:

thetruediva

cdsulhoff said:
Okay, So how many of you are going out to get the new PS3 in a couple of weeks?? My hubby is set on getting one and I am thinking he is nuts. The damn thing is $600. I do not think it is worth the $600, however my hubby thinks that it is a steal because it has the bluray DVD set up.. Then you have the new Wii by Nintendo. Kids want that one but hubby wants PS3. Looks like I am going to be broke yet another Christmas...

BIG BABY @ MY HOUSE ALSO!! Thats all I keep hearing about! He would camp out for this but lord forbid my 3 year old want an Elmo!
I have a PSP at my house that he never uses too? :crazy:

dustin

UAIOE
thetruediva said:
BIG BABY @ MY HOUSE ALSO!! Thats all I keep hearing about! He would camp out for this but lord forbid my 3 year old want an Elmo!
I have a PSP at my house that he never uses too? :crazy:
i'll give you 40 bucks for the psp. :biggrin:

cdsulhoff

Well now he is trying to get me involved in his quest for PS3. He has another thing coming to him. I told him I am not going to go a camp put for that stupid thing. So now he is mad at me. He said" You can wake up a 3am and go out for Black Friday shopping but you can't help me get an PS3". Lets see here my answer was still NOPE! I go out Blk Fri shopping to save money. He is calling around seeing who will be doing first come first serve and who is going to do the lottery. I think my hubby has OCD!!!!! LOL, more like big kid syndrome.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
My hubby absoloutly loves playstation. We've spoken with two different ppl from 2 different gaming/electronic stores and they both said it isnt worth the price. Besides Im sure in a yr or so the price will drop somewhat.

pingrr

Camping out for a PS3 and reselling it on ebay is easy money. They will be very hard to come by over the next 3 to 4 months. Sony has even said that they are only going to have around 1 million units for the US during the xmas season.

You can by a PS3 for 600 and then resell it on ebay the next day for about 1200. I am going to camp out and buy one just to resell it. I'll sit outside in the cold all night to make and easy 600 bucks.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
All ya'll who pay that kind of money for a freakin' video system are absolutely crazy. :crazy:

Vince

BadGirl said:
All ya'll who pay that kind of money for a freakin' video system are absolutely crazy. :crazy:
:yeahthat: Especially if you wait until summer, the price will drop and so will the demand.

pingrr

Vince said:
:yeahthat: Especially if you wait until summer, the price will drop and so will the demand.

I wouldn't expect a price drop until early 2008. At 600 Sony will loose money on every PS3 system they sell until the price of blue ray drives comes down.

Just like microsoft looses money an every xbox 360 they sell. Ms loosed $150 per system they sell.

J

juggy4805

pingrr said:
I wouldn't expect a price drop until early 2008. At 600 Sony will loose money on every PS3 system they sell until the price of blue ray drives comes down.

Just like microsoft looses money an every xbox 360 they sell. Ms loosed $150 per system they sell.

The bad thing is no one knows if BluRay will win the format war.

pingrr

juggy4805 said:
The bad thing is no one knows if BluRay will win the format war.

I don't think it will really matter. There is a company that built a player that can play blue ray and HD-HVD's. It puts one of two lenses in front of the laser depending on what you want to play.

There is also a new disc out there than can be burned with multiple formats. It can have a blue ray side and a HD-dvd side. This new disk can also have a standard DVD as a second layer over the HDdvd side. I'll try and find a link to the tech info.

There are advantages to both formats. So who knows what next gen format is going to win.

pingrr

New Device Reads Both HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc Media
>> From teamxbox.com:
Blu-ray Disc is incompatible with HD DVD and DVD media because instead of having a 1.2mm thick disc made of a 0.6 mm disc with 0.6 mm protective coating on top (as in DVD media), Blu-ray Disc is made of a 1.1 mm disc covered by a 0.1mm protective layer.
Because of the different thicknesses of the protective layers, the data layers of both formats are at different depths from the surface and thus the components required to read or write them are different...until now.

The Nikkei Net Interactive reported over the weekend that Ricoh Technologies has developed an optical device that can read and write both next-generation optical disk formats.
The device in question is a diffraction plate that is placed between the laser and the lens, which allows changing the laser beam's spot size on the fly. This will make possible to use the same components to read both Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD media. Hardware manufacturers would only need to make the diffraction plate change to the proper state depending on the media loaded in the disc drive.

J

juggy4805

pingrr said:
New Device Reads Both HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc Media
>> From teamxbox.com:
Blu-ray Disc is incompatible with HD DVD and DVD media because instead of having a 1.2mm thick disc made of a 0.6 mm disc with 0.6 mm protective coating on top (as in DVD media), Blu-ray Disc is made of a 1.1 mm disc covered by a 0.1mm protective layer.
Because of the different thicknesses of the protective layers, the data layers of both formats are at different depths from the surface and thus the components required to read or write them are different...until now.

The Nikkei Net Interactive reported over the weekend that Ricoh Technologies has developed an optical device that can read and write both next-generation optical disk formats.
The device in question is a diffraction plate that is placed between the laser and the lens, which allows changing the laser beam's spot size on the fly. This will make possible to use the same components to read both Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD media. Hardware manufacturers would only need to make the diffraction plate change to the proper state depending on the media loaded in the disc drive.

Good info.

pingrr

I will also try and find the info about the new disks that can have both formats on them.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
pingrr said:
I'll sit outside in the cold all night to make and easy 600 bucks.
That's a good idea. :lol: I purchased one of the 10th anniversary Elmo dolls the day they came out, not knowing what a hit they would be. I'm waiting until December to put him on eBay. :smile:

cdsulhoff

Chasey_Lane said:
That's a good idea. :lol: I purchased one of the 10th anniversary Elmo dolls the day they came out, not knowing what a hit they would be. I'm waiting until December to put him on eBay. :smile:

Got a couple of those bad boys. I am so waiting for the right time to put them up on eBay...