Any SOMD F1, Sports Car, or WRC Fans?

Michael Delaney

Porsche 917K
The area seems dominated by NASCAR fans, but I was wondering how many people on the forum watch other forms of racing, such as F1, ALMS, WRC, Champ Car, or any other form of Road Course racing.
I am also a fan of MotoGP, hoping Hayden can win the Championship.

I enjoy F1 for the unmatched technology and speed of the cars.
ALMS is very intersting as it showcases some very stock cars, and awesome fast protypes.
WRC also uses somewhat stock cars, with drivers capable of driving on any surface in all conditions. Very Ballzy drivers!
MotoGP contains the closest and best racing there is to offer in my opinion, but I like watching cars race a little more.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Michael Delaney said:
MotoGP contains the closest and best racing there is to offer in my opinion, but I like watching cars race a little more.
It's cool to see a kentucky redneck make good in international sports

Michael Delaney

Porsche 917K
Yeah, it is funny to hear his (Haydens) accent during the post race interviews.

In F1 the Schu really stepped it up at the end though, showing that he is the best.

aps45819 said:
It's cool to see a kentucky redneck make good in international sports

Michael Delaney

Porsche 917K
Did ya hear Varsha give the "shout out" to Pax River? Made my day to hear it.
I met Varsha, Hobbs, Matchet, and Sam Posey at Indy at few years ago. Really kewl group to talk to. Heck, I think we chatted for about 20 minutes about F1 and auto racing.

Bustem' Down said:
I like F1. Sad the season is over. Renault really ran away with it this year.

smoothmarine187

I'm a big F1 fan.....Honda/Jenson Button....I really like watching WRC also.....it just sucks that they don't broadcast it anymore.

dustin

UAIOE
WRC, SCCA SPEED World Challenge Touring and GT

MotoGP, World Superbike, AMA Superbike-Supersport-Formula X-Superstock-Flat Track, Isle of Man TT, FIM motorcross, AMA motorcross...

Last edited:

Michael Delaney

Porsche 917K
Unfortunately, I guess the WRC fan base in the US isn't large enough for SPEED to televise any longer. Kinda hard to believe that NASCAR is the largest form of racing watched in the U.S. when it is far from being the quickest or purest form of racing.

smoothmarine187 said:
I'm a big F1 fan.....Honda/Jenson Button....I really like watching WRC also.....it just sucks that they don't broadcast it anymore.

Claff

I'm a NASCAR fan since I was a little kid, but even before that I was a sporty car racing fan. My dad raced Triumph Spitfires in amateur SCCA races since before I was born till I was about 10 years old so I spent lots of my youth at places like Lime Rock and Watkins Glen and Bryar.

I used to make a point of going to at least one SCCA regional or national at Lime Rock a year before moving down here but that was a few years ago.

I keep thinking of finding more sporty car races round here every time I see that guy with his GP MGB at the DC auto show (I have a clapped-out MGB in storage near my folks' place up north), but chasing NASCAR races during the season really cut down on the available weekends to explore this further.

One thing I want to get into before the year's out is autocrossing. The Capital Driving Club (http://members.cox.net/capitaldrivingclub) looks like fun and occasionally come close to SoMD. I'd like to take my Tiburon out for a spin to see how badly it'll (I'll) do.

Michael Delaney

Porsche 917K
There is a somewhat local track called Summit Point that hosts races and open track events/HPDE's on any given weekend through most of the year. You should check out the National Auto Sport Association (NASA) and get your car out on track for a High Performance Driving Event (HPDE).

http://www.summitpoint-raceway.com/
http://www.nasaracing.net/

I have ran many HPDE's and currently race a kart with the Woodbridge Kart Club enduro series, which takes place on auto racing tracks.