Farmer's Market and the Candidates Forum

SoftballCrazy

From a St Mary's Today Online article, in ref to puppy mills, farmer's market, and some comments about the Public Forum held last nite at the College in L'town...
Illicit Puppy Mill Flourishes Near Farmer's Market

By Ahmar Khan

ST. MARY'S TODAY

LEONARDTOWN --- Unscrupulous elements from Anne Arundel and other counties are selling sick and underage puppies at the farmer's market on Saturdays in the absence of animal wardens, the St. Mary's Board of County Commissioners heard Tuesday afternoon.

The matter was first brought up at the St. Mary's Animal Welfare League public debate at the College of Southern Maryland Monday evening by past president of SMAWL, Rose Tyler. The public debate saw Commissioner President Tommy McKay (R. Hollywood) have a change of heart as he said his rival Senator Roy Dyson had done a "fine job" for 32 years, but that this time voters should give him a chance instead.

Larry Jarboe (R. Golden Beach) said he knows the Animal Control works on Saturdays and forcefully brought up the issue during commissioner's time.

"We all know that sick and underage animals are sold there every weekend. I have received numerous calls from people who have purchased animals and they have ended up extremely sick and in one case the puppy died," Tyler informed the SMAWL.

The all-volunteer SMAWL, with more than 700 members, does not officially endorse any candidate seeking public office and the leadership said they had no track record of contestants, baring one. "Senator Roy Dyson has worked on animal rights issues and put in legislation," said Barbara Whipkey.

"Every Saturday that I have been to the Vet Home I have seen people on the side of the road selling puppies. They are between Tidewater Vet and 7-11"

Tyler said the unscrupulous sellers have all breeds, doxies, beagles, bassets, poodles, pugs and shelties to name a few and some days mixes.

"The people who are bringing these animals down here are not breeders who care about maintaining the integrity of the breed. They are unscrupulous elements who are trying to make a buck at the expense of the animals in their care. In my opinion they are just traveling puppy mills."

She said there are probably regulations regarding selling on the side of the road where the sellers live so they come down to St. Mary's County. Last Saturday she said she saw about a dozen cars pulled over on the side of the road making this also a public safety and traffic issue.

"Why when Tri County and all the rescue groups have worked so hard and so long to spay and neuter everything we adopt are we allowing people from outside our county to sell unneutered animal in St. Mary's?"

She asked those running for commissioner if when the put the legislative package together if they would be willing to have something in there prohibiting people who don't live in St. Mary's from physically coming here to sell animals.

Jarboe requested Tim Cameron to bring the culprits to justice.

Animals4Life

krazd_kat said:
So was there not any "answer" to this? Just more passing the buck for someone else to deal with?
How can Tim Cameron bring the culprits to justice when there does not seem to be any laws established in the first place? Was anyone from Animal Control or Tri-County present at this forum? No. These people are also county employees. Sounds to me like the buck was being passed as usual.