Dear fellow parents

Pete

Repete
As most of you know I have a 9 year old son who I refer to as "Boy". Boy rocks, he is funny, good natured and I like to think he is fairly smart.

So I was wondering at what age I can expect him to open food packages like a civilized human and not a savage beast starving to death. I also cannot seem to impress upon him how to "close" the package after he has secured his snack.

Now I have suffered (not really suffered but I couldn't think of a better word) through 9 years of horribly mangled cereal boxes and I have pretty much taken it in stride. However day before yesterday I got some groceries. Yesterday morning Boy, a funny, good natured and smart kid mangled the Hostess donut box and snared a powdered morsel of bliss. After scolding him I figured that he had finally gotten the picture until tonight when I opened the cupboard and found a package of mangled saltine crackers still open with cracker shrapnel laying about.

When will it end :jameo:

Pete said:
As most of you know I have a 9 year old son who I refer to as "Boy". Boy rocks, he is funny, good natured and I like to think he is fairly smart.

So I was wondering at what age I can expect him to open food packages like a civilized human and not a savage beast starving to death. I also cannot seem to impress upon him how to "close" the package after he has secured his snack.

Now I have suffered (not really suffered but I couldn't think of a better word) through 9 years of horribly mangled cereal boxes and I have pretty much taken it in stride. However day before yesterday I got some groceries. Yesterday morning Boy, a funny, good natured and smart kid mangled the Hostess donut box and snared a powdered morsel of bliss. After scolding him I figured that he had finally gotten the picture until tonight when I opened the cupboard and found a package of mangled saltine crackers still open with cracker shrapnel laying about.

Zipper Ziploc baggies are your friend.

harleygirl

Working for the weekend
Pete said:

It will not end....sixteen year old still does the same thing. I bought a bunch of tupperware like containers, and keep anything that goes stale in them. Now he forgets to seal the lids, puts them back in the pantry on crooked. :jameo:

Pete

Repete
kwillia said:
Zipper Ziploc baggies are your friend.
That is IF I find it in time. Even then that is reactionary. I shouldn't have to accommodate his swine like traits, he should adapt to my more civil demands.

Perhaps I should feed him stale saltines every meal until he gets the picture.

Pete

Repete
cattitude said:
Never. It is gender related.
I am not that way. I even have some of those clip dohickeys to secure the packaging to maintain freshness. :shrug:

Pete said:
That is IF I find it in time. Even then that is reactionary. I shouldn't have to accommodate his swine like traits, he should adapt to my more civil demands.

Perhaps I should feed him stale saltines every meal until he gets the picture.
That's why I specified "zipper"... teach him he is responsible for zippering up the food that he opens... and yes... a good consequence would be him having to eat the stale stuff.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Pete said:
I am not that way. I even have some of those clip dohickeys to secure the packaging to maintain freshness. :shrug:

If you find a box mangled, toss it and don't replace it. No snacks or crap if he can't manage to open the boxes properly.

Pete

Repete
So you three ladies are telling me that Boy is not suffering from some sort of food packaging mental retardation and he is normal?

Pete said:
So you three ladies are telling me that Boy is not suffering from some sort of food packaging mental retardation and he is normal?
He is normal... he does it because he can... and because he gets away with it...:yay:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Pete said:

It is training. Ott's mom was a lovely, dear person but she didn't train her son well. I raised two (and a half) anal neatniks. :lol:

Pete

Repete
cattitude said:
If you find a box mangled, toss it and don't replace it. No snacks or crap if he can't manage to open the boxes properly.
Good idea, so I need to hoard the snacks in my room. :yay:

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
Pete said:

maybe show him how to do it? my eight yearold is awsome about those things if he thinks he is gona have trouble he asks for help. The 5 year old is always tryin to sneak food and always gets caught by the forementioned evidence .

harleygirl

Working for the weekend
Pete said:
Totally normal. Wait until he hits puberty and starts leaving crusty towels on his bedroom floor...... :jet:

Pete

Repete
cattitude said:
It is training. Ott's mom was a lovely, dear person but she didn't train her son well. I raised two (and a half) anal neatniks. :lol:

kwillia said:
He is normal... he does it because he can... and because he gets away with it...:yay:

You are both right, I am going to go beat him now with a box of Mueslix.

Pete said:
You are both right, I am going to go beat him now with a box of Mueslix.
Be sure to point out to him that you are using the stale box so as not to waste perfectly good food. :yay:

Pete

Repete
harleygirl said:
Totally normal. Wait until he hits puberty and starts leaving crusty towels on his bedroom floor...... :jet:
Oh joy, like one pile of crusty towels in this house is not enough. :rolleyes:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
kwillia said:
That's why I specified "zipper"... teach him he is responsible for zippering up the food that he opens... and yes... a good consequence would be him having to eat the stale stuff.
:killingme

Do you have male kids? I really don't know if you do or not, but I'm wondering. :lmao: