Dog Comes Home After Seven-Month Absence

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
LE MARS, Iowa - A retired school teacher couldn't believe her eyes last week when her dog, Taffy, returned home after disappearing seven months ago.

"When I went out to do the chores, he was standing on the deck waiting for me just like he always did," said Betty Jordt, who lives just north of Sioux City. "I thought, 'It can't be Taffy, it can't be.' But as I got closer, he looked up at me as if, 'I waited for you.'"

The dog, a taffy-colored Labrador mix, returned March 19 — just in time for Jordt's birthday.

Jordt, a widow, found Taffy at the Siouxland Humane Society about five years ago. The dog always came when called, until he vanished seven months ago, she said.

In an attempt to find her pet, Jordt placed advertisements in local publications and enlisted the help of the sheriff's office.

Jordt didn't get a new dog, because she didn't want to risk losing another companion.

Taffy showed up last week wearing the same collar, but no tags.

"I must say he's in excellent condition," Jordt said. "Whoever took him or took care of him did take very good care of him."