Six kids

Is six kids a party and should Larry have consulted me before he gave permission?

• Yes, six kids is a party and Larry should have consulted you

Votes: 35 62.5%
  • Yes, six kids is a party but what's the big deal?

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • No, six kids isn't a party but Larry should have consulted you

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • No, six kids isn't a party and what's the big deal?

Votes: 5 8.9%

• Total voters

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Wait for the poll:

The girls asked Larry if they could have a party tonight. We told them no because they didn't bother to bring this up until 11:00 last night.

So, while I was at work today, they asked him if they could have 6 friends over tonight to spend the night. He, of course, told them yes without bothering to consult me on this. My points:

• The oldest just got off restriction and is going back on again on Monday for an infraction that happened last week (literally days after she got off restriction the first time).
  • Neither of them have done their chores all week long
  • They haven't done anything to deserve a party

Larry first tried to pretend that six kids isn't a party (because originally they wanted around 50). Then he threw the old, "So the kids can't have friends over ever??" Then he tried telling me I was hostile and out of control because I objected to this in less than dulcet tones.

So? Am I out of line to want to at least be consulted when the girls are having packs of friends over? Or is Larry out of line for doing this without talking to me first?

Poll coming up...

Vince

vraiblonde said:
[*]The oldest just got off restriction and is going back on again on Monday for an infraction that happened last week (literally days after she got off restriction the first time).
[*]Neither of them have done their chores all week long
[*]They haven't done anything to deserve a party
[/list]

From a man's point of view....sorry Larry, but someone who doesn't take on the responsibility of getting his/her work done does not deserve consideration.

Toxick

Splat
My take on it:

It sounds like a sleep-over. Personally I don't count a sleepover as a party, but some might. Take that for what its worth.

But here's the thing: if you're planning on grounding a child, or if you have already grounded the child, or just for whatever reason you don't want them to do something, I think the burden is on you to make these things known.

These...

vraiblonde said:
  • The oldest just got off restriction and is going back on again on Monday for an infraction that happened last week (literally days after she got off restriction the first time).
  • Neither of them have done their chores all week long
  • They haven't done anything to deserve a party

... are perfectly valid reason for putting the kibosh on any fun activities, which include parties, sleepovers, or even just talking on the telephone... but if you're going to do that, I think you should let your husband in on it, so he doesn't inadvertantly step on your toes, which is what it sounds like happened here.

Having said that:
If you informed him of your feelings on the matter BEFORE it all went down, then everything I just said is moot.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
My opinion...

vraiblonde said:
So? Am I out of line to want to at least be consulted when the girls are having packs of friends over? Or is Larry out of line for doing this without talking to me first?
He should have consulted you first. But he didn't. So, just back him up on his decision, make it known you'd like to be in on the decision next time, and call it a day. Don't sweat the small stuff, pick your battles, all that good stuff. :shrug: I can't see getting all in a tizzy over something like this. :shrug:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
6 kids? No, it's not a party. When my youngest was in his teens, we always had kids here, lots of them. I thought some of them had taken up residence. Nobody ever consulted anybody. My son would say "xxxx is coming over and so is xxx." I always enjoyed having the kids. Always fixed lots of food and a big breakfast. My house is pretty lonely now.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Nickel said:
I can't see getting all in a tizzy over something like this.
He does stuff like this all the time. :ohwell: And I really don't want to spend all night listening to 8 girls screaming their heads off until they drop from exhaustion at 5am. Had Alex cleaned the basement like she normally is required to do when she has gangs of friends over, that would've been a different story because they could be down there. But Larry felt bad for not letting her have a huge party tonight with less than 24 hours notice that he said yes with no conditions.

:rolleyes:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
cattitude said:
I always enjoyed having the kids. Always fixed lots of food and a big breakfast. My house is pretty lonely now.
Good. You can come to my house and deal with it and I'll go drinking with Otter.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Toxick said:
My take on it:

It sounds like a sleep-over. Personally I don't count a sleepover as a party, but some might. Take that for what its worth.

But here's the thing: if you're planning on grounding a child, or if you have already grounded the child, or just for whatever reason you don't want them to do something, I think the burden is on you to make these things known.

These...

... are perfectly valid reason for putting the kibosh on any fun activities, which include parties, sleepovers, or even just talking on the telephone... but if you're going to do that, I think you should let your husband in on it, so he doesn't inadvertantly step on your toes, which is what it sounds like happened here.

Having said that:
If you informed him of your feelings on the matter BEFORE it all went down, then everything I just said is moot.

:yeahthat: Great minds think alike.

mainman

Set Trippin
vraiblonde said:
He does stuff like this all the time. :ohwell: And I really don't want to spend all night listening to 8 girls screaming their heads off until they drop from exhaustion at 5am. Had Alex cleaned the basement like she normally is required to do when she has gangs of friends over, that would've been a different story because they could be down there. But Larry felt bad for not letting her have a huge party tonight with less than 24 hours notice that he said yes with no conditions.

:rolleyes:
So what does alex cleaning the basement have to do with larry consulting you? :confused:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
mainman said:
So what does alex cleaning the basement have to do with larry consulting you?
Alex cleaning the basement has to do with whether I would have said yes or not when Larry consulted me (IF Larry had consulted me).

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
vraiblonde said:
Good. You can come to my house and deal with it and I'll go drinking with Otter.

Go pop a beer and settle yourself. If the basement isn't clean, so what. Do you think they care? Send them to the basement, give em some snacks and send Pops to make sure they are "behaving." Mark my words, one of these days you will wish you had a house full of screaming teenagers. :huggy:

Pandora

I wouldn't have been happy to have come home today after a very long week to a house with 6 kids. :ohwell:

But now, what is done is done so how bad is the basement? :eyebrow:

I’d send them down there anyway and Alex can clean up AFTER the party or Larry. :whistle: