AWD vs FWD

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I'd like to hear from those who have had both on a car. Is the AWD worth the extra price and limits in models? Is and AWD not going to get stuck in the snow?

rack'm

Jaded
pixiegirl said:
I'd like to hear from those who have had both on a car. Is the AWD worth the extra price and limits in models? Is and AWD not going to get stuck in the snow?

Don't drive like a dumb ass and you need neither in the smow.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I've had both, currently have AWD. Think the only difference is the ability to turn off the 4WD. One thing you should realize is that without limited slip differentials, 4WD is actually 1 drive wheel in the front pair and one in the rear pair.
The snow we have around here is easily handled by knowing how to drive.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
My previous auto (Subura Outback) was all wheel drive, and I LOVED LOVED LOVED that car. Everything about it was nice. The ride was very comfortable, although I really didn't notice too much the AWL feature. It worked when I needed it.

My current SUV (Ford Explorer) has FWD, and again....it works when I need it.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Oh, I thought by FWD she meant Front Wheel Drive. I've had Front WD too, and it does fine in the snow, assuming you take your time. AWD just made it easier. We have 4WD now, and it works. :shrug:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Nickel said:
Oh, I thought by FWD she meant Front Wheel Drive.
That works great in the snow and you can still slide the rear with the parking brake.

AWD has a very low fun factor in the snow.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
aps45819 said:
I've had both, currently have AWD. Think the only difference is the ability to turn off the 4WD. One thing you should realize is that without limited slip differentials, 4WD is actually 1 drive wheel in the front pair and one in the rear pair.
The snow we have around here is easily handled by knowing how to drive.
I thought that was the difference between AWD and 4WD.. in that AWD delivered power to all 4 wheels, where 4WD was what you mentioned above?

I remember a commercial with the Chevy Astro AWD climbing the landing hill at a ski jump.. and said, try this with a 4WD!!

Michael Delaney

Porsche 917K
Actually, I would tend to disagree. My car with snow and ice tires mounted is very fun to drive in the snow and puts on a much better show than a rear wheel or front wheel drive car. Very controlled drifting without using the parking brake, and the car will rotate on a center axis when driven correctly.
My suby is very fun to drive.

aps45819 said:
That works great in the snow and you can still slide the rear with the parking brake.

AWD has a very low fun factor in the snow.

rdkarob

In this area you do not need either. We do not get that much snow and if we do, why go out in it with all the other crazies...why pay more for AWD and 4WD, I have had a Front Wheel Drive and it works.....unless you live north....no reason.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
pixiegirl said:
My truck has both. I like the AWD because it gives me a sense of security on the road. It handles well in the rain. I haven't had to use the 4WD yet or the 2WD. I'll let you know when it snows. :smile:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Chasey_Lane said:
My truck has both. I like the AWD because it gives me a sense of security on the road. It handles well in the rain. I haven't had to use the 4WD yet or the 2WD. I'll let you know when it snows. :smile:
My Honda was FWD (front) and it did EXCELLENT in the snow!! I had it three winters and never got stuck anywhere. It was also great in the rain. :yay:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
itsbob said:
I thought that was the difference between AWD and 4WD.. in that AWD delivered power to all 4 wheels, where 4WD was what you mentioned above?
Had a jeep and paid the extra for the limited slip diff. I've been in other "4WD" cars that got stuck and watched the wheel on the right side spin :lol:
I always thought the difference was the ability to turn off the 4WD and go to 2WD for some gas savings.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Nic is correct; by FWD I meant "front" wheel drive. I'm not aware of any "cars" that offer "four" wheel drive. Anyway, I'm not interested in the "neither" option, as I already have rear wheel and it sucks in the rain much less the snow. A dusting and I'm in trouble and an inch and I'm likely dead in the water. My dad had a rear wheel t-bird some years ago that I drove while my car at the time was in the shop. I had zero problems with it and was a rookie driver of all of 16 or 17. That being said I realize that RWD is often not that bad depending on the car itself. My car, it sucks.

My interest is between front wheel and all wheel in cars. I've had front wheel in every car previous to my current and never had much of a problem in regular snow in the area. In heavier snows I have gotten stuck with FWD. In heavier snows (for the area say 6" and up) is AWD worth it?

smoothmarine187

Even an AWD car is going to get stuck in deep snow. You only have a little bit of ground clearance. If you want to drive in deep snow, then you need an AWD SUV or Truck.

Michael Delaney

Porsche 917K
When it comes to driving in the snow, tires are the first item to be concerned with. Whether four wheels are sliding or two wheels of a rear wheel drive car are sliding, it doesn’t matter. Tire traction is the concern. My AWD car is awful in the snow when I have summer tires mounted. Now with snow and ice tires mounted, my somewhat light nimble car is awesome in the snow.

And concerning the comments of a high clearance AWD SUV vs. an AWD car. Well, how much are you going to be driving off road? In all reality you are probably going to be on a plowed road that has only has a couple inches of packed snow. So in this case you are better off in an AWD car that weighs less than 3000 pounds, making it easier to steer, and quicker to stop than a 5000 pound SUV.

Last edited:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Michael Delaney said:
When it comes to driving in the snow, tires are the first item to be concerned with. Whether four wheels are sliding or two wheels of a rear wheel drive car are sliding, it doesn’t matter. Tire traction is the concern. My AWD car is awful in the snow when I have summer tires mounted. Now with snow and ice tires mounted, my somewhat light nimble car is awesome in the snow.

And concerning the comments of a high clearance AWD SUV vs. an AWD car. Well, how much are you going to be driving off road? In all reality you are probably going to be on a plowed road that has only has a couple inches of packed snow. So in this case you are better off in an AWD car that weighs less than 3000 pounds, making it easier to steer, and quicker to stop than a 5000 pound SUV.

An SUV is not an option. I don't like driving them. I'm not going to be driving "off road" persay but do live on a gravel road now. I know all about tires after letting an ex put summer tires on my car in September. After the worst winter ever in it I went looking to buy new tires and that's when I realized he'd gotten summer tires. I have all weather tires on it now and managed to get stuck in the mud last weekend AND also barely made it off a lawn I was parked on later that same day.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I've been...

pixiegirl said:

...driving since I was 13, have driven Broncos, Blazers, Durangos, Jeeps, modded trucks, Audis, front wheel drive Chevettes through blizzards and four wheel drive pickups I buried in mud so deep that the only reason it didn't sink is because it actually floated on the floorboards.

Without reservaton, the coolest thing in the world for normal old driving, ie, not doing a ton of off roading, is AWD. Full time, computer controlled, all wheel drive.

When you get caught in a heavy rain, you don't have to think about it. When you take a curve a bit tighter than you should have, you're covered. When it starts spitting flurries, when there might be icy spots, when you might suddenly hit a puddle deeper than you thought it was, AWD.

You don't HAVE to have it. Just for simple, good old piece of mind and reasonable driving you don't ever have to think about it.

You just drive.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Larry Gude said:
...driving since I was 13, have driven Broncos, Blazers, Durangos, Jeeps, modded trucks, Audis, front wheel drive Chevettes through blizzards and four wheel drive pickups I buried in mud so deep that the only reason it didn't sink is because it actually floated on the floorboards.

Without reservaton, the coolest thing in the world for normal old driving, ie, not doing a ton of off roading, is AWD. Full time, computer controlled, all wheel drive.

When you get caught in a heavy rain, you don't have to think about it. When you take a curve a bit tighter than you should have, you're covered. When it starts spitting flurries, when there might be icy spots, when you might suddenly hit a puddle deeper than you thought it was, AWD.

You don't HAVE to have it. Just for simple, good old piece of mind and reasonable driving you don't ever have to think about it.

You just drive.

Thank you Larry Gude! :love: I know it's not a "must have" as I've driven FWD cars in the snow plenty with little problem. But what I wanted to know was "is it worth it?" and you've answered that question.