Question about Child Support

devilvice

Angel
If the divorce agreement does not specify that child support is to be paid till the child is 18, does the child support keep going or will it automatically stop when the child is 18?

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
devilvice said:
If the divorce agreement does not specify that child support is to be paid till the child is 18, does the child support keep going or will it automatically stop when the child is 18?

Unless the child has some type of disability that would warrant being cared for after the 18th b-day, support stops at age 18. In cases like the aforementioned I believe it would be called out specifically.

fddog

Bow wow
pixiegirl said:
Unless the child has some type of disability that would warrant being cared for after the 18th b-day, support stops at age 18. In cases like the aforementioned I believe it would be called out specifically.
or the minor child gets married it stops before his or her 18th b-day

Jameo

What?!
My sister is still paying child support and my nephew will be 20 in January. But he is going to college fulltime :shrug:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Jameo said:
My sister is still paying child support and my nephew will be 20 in January. But he is going to college fulltime :shrug:
Some times the divorce decree will specify the support continues till the child is 21 if still in school

Jameo

What?!
aps45819 said:
Some times the divorce decree will specify the support continues till the child is 21 if still in school

I have no clue how any of that stuff works, I was just adding my 2 cents in :lol:

tastycakes

It will also depend on which state the case is in. Some states consider the age of majority 21 not 18. My case is in NY so I get support till age of 21. In the state of MD it is the age of 18 unless some other agreement was made.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
In Maryland State Law will require that he pay until the 18th birthday, or high school graduation, whichever comes last. So if she turns 18 in January and doesn't graduate from high school until May, support continues through May.

Vince

aps45819 said:
That only happens if both parties agree to have it in the divorce decree. My ex wouldn't do it. And I paid for 80% of my daughters college.

Vince

pixiegirl said:
Doesn't matter if the child is disabled. When he/she turns 18 years old he/she is a disabled adult and has to have a Legal Guardian in writing. My son is autistic, and when he turned 18 I had to get Legal Guardianship to do anything for him.

UpChuckMan

Upper Charles County :-)
In Maryland - "Child support is mandated by law. Obligations for child support survive remarriage, bankruptcy, and move out of state. In addition, child support payments are not tax deductible. Generally speaking, child support obligations terminate upon a child's eighteenth birthday, although Maryland courts have upheld extended child support where the child's needs are extraordinary, or a promise for additional support has been made and the paying spouse has sufficient financial resources to honor the promise."

http://www.divorcenet.com/states/maryland/mdart-08

B

Benjismom

devilvice said:

Go to Maryland Child Support Services, they will tell you that it continues the entire time the child is 18 and stops at 19.

jetmonkey

Vince said:
That only happens if both parties agree to have it in the divorce decree. My ex wouldn't do it. And I paid for 80% of my daughters college.
Wow, I wish my parents had gotten divorced so they could have paid for my college instead of me.

jetmonkey said:
Wow, I wish my parents had gotten divorced so they could have paid for my college instead of me.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jetmonkey again.