Clive Cussler

Gwydion

So my dad is an avid reader of all things Cussler, but he really turned me on to the Dirk Pitt series. He had a long ride to work...about 2 hours each way so he listened to them on tape. When I got old enough I picked up "Raising the Titanic" and since, I have read every Dirk series.

The action, the limited rugged love, the suspense, and the all around guys guy Dirk Pitt. If you want some real action but can't handle the thousands of names and/or millions of governmental agencies that appear in other authors (i.e. Clancy) I strongly suggest you pick up a Dirk Pitt series novel by Clive Cussler.

I would even suggest picking up "Sahara." It came out in a movie starring Matthew Mccaughnahay (<--completely butchered that last name...).

It takes awhile to get the books going...usually they start out with the first chapter taking place a long time ago...then after that it goes VERY slow for a chapter or two. But in the end everything comes together and it is an amazing experience.

Hessian

I'm with ya...

I have read Clive since the mid 80's...never sent any copy out to the used Book store.

I am curious how Clive has gradually evolved as a writer...would love to ask him that question because characterization has distinctly changed in the past 20 years.

I also loved his real life searches,...documented in 2 volumes of...The searchers?...I don't recall the actual title.

Still cringe when I read about dirk trashing some classic car while escaping...ouch.

Gwydion

God, I would hate to have to do that as well. Seeing as how I have read all the books (most likely) out of order, I can't comment too much on the progression of characters. Although, it is always interesting the first time Loren comes into the picture to see if they are married/engaged/dating/whatever for THAT particular book.

I have yet to pick up any of his real life adventures, although I have read the actual stories of the people behind Dirk and Gio. But god...could you imagine living in a bunker at an airport surrounded by antique cars?!?!

It's unfortunate the ONLY bookstore in southern maryland only has like 1 Clive book. Surprisingly enough, I have found a good number on the randomly placed bookshelves at supermarkets. Seriously, even Target only has one or two!

Bonehead

Sea Hunters 1 and 2 chronicle his real attempts and successes to find and raise specific historical ship wrecks. Really interesting stuff.

Vince

Started reading Clive Cussler books when I was stationed in the Antarctic. Not a whole lot to do down there in your off time and books were one of the few forms of entertainment. Got hooked on Dirk Pitt. Last one I read was Sahara. I know I missed a few.

Gwydion said:
God, I would hate to have to do that as well. Seeing as how I have read all the books (most likely) out of order, I can't comment too much on the progression of characters. Although, it is always interesting the first time Loren comes into the picture to see if they are married/engaged/dating/whatever for THAT particular book.

I have yet to pick up any of his real life adventures, although I have read the actual stories of the people behind Dirk and Gio. But god...could you imagine living in a bunker at an airport surrounded by antique cars?!?!

It's unfortunate the ONLY bookstore in southern maryland only has like 1 Clive book. Surprisingly enough, I have found a good number on the randomly placed bookshelves at supermarkets. Seriously, even Target only has one or two!
Waldorf is in Southern MD, and there's a Borders there. They carry all his books. Next time you go for generalizations, please check your facts first. TYI

I've been reading his books since the early 80's. Love them. In real life he is supposed to be a bit of a sour puss.

Gwydion

Ahh thats right...this isnt for St. Mary's County only.

Next time I will do a good 150 page research paper before I post on a public forum.

willie

Gwydion said:
Ahh thats right...this isnt for St. Mary's County only.

Next time I will do a good 150 page research paper before I post on a public forum.

Walmart has several of his paperbacks and BJ's had at least one hardback.

Hessian

Right Bonehead...

Seahunters I & II were great.

They found the remains of a Civil War ironclad under a parking lot on the Miss. River!--very cool.

Regarding that Sour Puss image...I can believe it. I met Clancy once...a bit of a crab.--Reading the Sea Hunters I can see how he tangles with officials (ie the French) and local yokels. probably fans just stammer in front of him...Yeah, that would get irritating too.

Used book store in PF (2nd Look books)-they always have a dozen or more.
I believe his first book was Mediterranean Caper (pre Raise the Titannic) and he released it after his fame was on the rise...I can tell it was his first work!

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I like how he has allowed Dirk Pitt to age and be promoted and has introduced Kurt Austin to start taking over various adventures. A lot of authors who continue a theme never seem to allow for their main characters aging.

Gwydion

Wow, thanks a lot for all the info on where to obtain books. Coming from a slightly larger town than anywhere around here, I always had Borders, Waldenbooks, etc. available. The only two bookstores I even knew of was the mom and pop's bookshop by Mckay's and that wonderful store by the name of Books in Lexington Park. (Which was a HUGE surprise the first time I went in there...)

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
There is also a wonderful used bookstore in Leonardtown around the corner from Cafe Des Artistes.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I've only one problem with the last few Dirk Pitt books he's done. It annoys me when he writes himself into the book. Once just to get your name on the inside of the book I can see, but the last few books that he's done Dirk keeps meeting him in all of these obscure places, and then can't remember where he's met him before. Off the top of my head I remember him being a prospector in the Sahara, a restaurateur in Arizona, and a yacht owner in the pacific. It doesn't contribute anything to the story line; it just makes the characters appear foolish that they keep meeting this person and can’t remember him.

Gwydion said:
Wow, thanks a lot for all the info on where to obtain books. Coming from a slightly larger town than anywhere around here, I always had Borders, Waldenbooks, etc. available. The only two bookstores I even knew of was the mom and pop's bookshop by Mckay's and that wonderful store by the name of Books in Lexington Park. (Which was a HUGE surprise the first time I went in there...)
There's Borders in Waldorf, in the same shopping center as the Sports Authority. There's a Border's Express (or something like that, used to be Walden Books before they changed the name and cut the size of the store in half) in the St. Charles Town Center, upstairs, between the food court and Sears.

R

RadioPatrol

I have been reading Clive Clussler for years

CC has allowed other players ( Authors ) into the Dirk Pit world

Numa Files and Oregon Files

Oregon Files are about an Ultra High Tech Intel Ship privately run disguised as an old tramp steamer - that Pitt and Gordino ? once used the services of