Towson University

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
I know about 15 people that went there, all of them liked it.

When they wanted something to do, there was always something.

When they wanted to stay away from people, there was somewhere to go.

None of them failed/dropped out due to over doing it at the party scenes like the majority of Frostburg folks do :lol:

But, they all came away with a good education also, which is the important part.

I give it :yay: :yay:

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
It's been a while but....

It's a good school. Depends on the major. Highly rated for education majors and nursing. Huntr got his degree in geography and did well, even works in the field.

Lots of people bail on the weekends and there is a large commuter population. It's the second largest school in the state, after College Park. It's picked up quite a bit of property mostly dorms and parking lots, since my time. There was a rumor that they were going to buy an apartment complex that bordered it, but I don't think they ever did, because it was already full of students and they didn't want to have to actually make them livable.

It is what you make of it. Lots of pot heads, lots of religious freaks, lots of everything in between. Some of the dorms and some of the majors act like a close-knit, family-type atmoshere; while other groups/dorms/majors are so large that individuals can be anonymous.

Tons of things to do in the Baltimore area. I hung out with the straight-laced types, and we were always going to museums, shows, and other cultural/educational places.

Since it keeps expanding it's real estate, the property now borders/surrounds three major hospitals, including the State Asylum for the criminally insane. :yay:

j/k
(they don't call it an asylum anymore and they keep some regular mental patients there too)

Last edited:

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Softballkid said:
I know about 15 people that went there, all of them liked it.

When they wanted something to do, there was always something.

When they wanted to stay away from people, there was somewhere to go.

None of them failed/dropped out due to over doing it at the party scenes like the majority of Frostburg folks do :lol:

But, they all came away with a good education also, which is the important part.

I give it :yay: :yay:
Thank you for your input.
Daughter is looking at going there for an education major, but she also loves photography (second major?)

Pete

Repete
DoWhat said:
Daughter is looking at going there for an education major, but she also loves photography (second major?)
Have you checked Penthouse to be sure it is not on the "Easiest school to bangbangbang" list?

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
DoWhat said:
It is the top school for education majors on the East Coast, maybe even beyond that.

As for photography.... you'll have to check their website to see if it's been added in the last 10 years or so, but when I started there in 1987, a friend who had taken a photography class at Charles Co. Community College couldn't get it to transfer for art credit, only as a general elective. But that may have changed.

Otter

Nothing to see here
DoWhat said:
Any problems?
Good?
Bad?

Problems?

None that I know of, daughter graduated from there in 96 or 97, if you have specific questions, I ask her for ya(ain't no way you are gonna talk to her..:lol:)

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
otter said:
None that I know of, daughter graduated from there in 96 or 97, if you have specific questions, I ask her for ya(ain't no way you are gonna talk to her..:lol:)

:jet: :roflmao:

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
DoWhat said:

My sister has some sort of accounting degree from there, and she really liked it up there, and she is the real quiet type.

I will have to ask about the photography though.

As for what Pete said about Penthouse... dont worry, Villa Julie is still like 90 some percent all female, so the guys go there for parties :lmao:

otter said:
None that I know of, daughter graduated from there in 96 or 97
Major? I graduated in '94.

Good thing about Towson is that the classes (for the most part) are small enough that the teachers actually know your name.
Lots to do in the area, yet far enough from downtown B'more that it is a nice quiet campus.
I liked it because it was not too large (i.e. College Park) or too small (i.e. Frostburg), and plenty of stuff to keep you busy when not doing classwork.
Education program there is top notch.

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
DoWhat said:
Any problems?
Good?
Bad?

Problems?

My daughter is currently a junior there, majoring in elementary ed, and she absolutely loves it. She went to CSM for the first two years and transferred. The only problem we encountered was that two of the classes she took at CSM, which were part of the Towson ed curriculum at the time, are now no longer part of their graduation requirements, so those credits were not transferred. She's far enough away from home to be independent, but close enough to where I can be there within 1 1/2-2 hours if she needs me. Lots to do, there's a huge mall (Towson Towne Center) and plenty of other shopping. Classes are small, when we went to U of MD we couldn't believe the number of kids they put in a class. There's a lot of kids from St. Mary's up there too, so she should do well with adapting. :yay: :yay:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
One of my childhood friends (a girl in my bridal party) went to Towson. She is the marketing coordinator for a very big architectural firm in Baltimore. She LOVED it there and has done very well for herself as well.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Estimated Annual Cost of Education (2006-2007 Academic Year)

MD Resident

Tuition and Fees*

$7164

Room and Board

$7506

Books

$912

Personal

$1596

Transportation

$2058

Total

$19236

:jameo:

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
DoWhat said:
Estimated Annual Cost of Education (2006-2007 Academic Year)

MD Resident

Tuition and Fees*

$7164

Room and Board

$7506

Books

$912

Personal

$1596

Transportation

$2058

Total

$19236

:jameo:

It'll be alright...my daughter got $6500 in scholarships. She's renting an apartment with 3 of her friends, and her yearly living expenses won't be near that $7500 figure because she's splitting all the costs. She has a job up there, and knows I'll help her out when she needs it, but she's also on her own, car payment, car insurance and gas are all on her and have been since she graduated high school. I'm basically paying about $100 more a month than I was when she was going to CSM.

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Softballkid said:
My sister has some sort of accounting degree from there, and she really liked it up there, and she is the real quiet type.

I will have to ask about the photography though.

As for what Pete said about Penthouse... dont worry, Villa Julie is still like 90 some percent all female, so the guys go there for parties :lmao:
I wanted to go to Villa Julie when I was a sophomore. Then I decided I didn't want to go away....Villa Julie had a brand spanking new bio lab when I looked at it. It was awesome.

sarahblk

Sleep Deprived
I'm a Towson Alumni. I got my degree in Education. My experience was great. My professors were very one on one. I lived off campus so can't help you with housing. The only negative things I have to say about Towson are...parking sucks (not sure if it's gotten any better in the last 4 years. Also my advising sucked. I came in as a transfer from CCCC (CSM) and was told some things didn't transfer only to find out later that I had taken classes that I didn't need. But overall I enjoyed attending there. Not to mention Baltimore is a great city to be a college student in.

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
DoWhat said:
Per year?

When she was a senior in H.S., she was awarded $7,000 in scholarships, but when we decided to stay home and go to CSM, she lost her federal scholarships, which were around $5,000. She was able to apply the local scholarships she was awarded to CSM. When she applied for the scholarships again this year, she was awarded $6,000 in federal scholarships and the rest were local scholarships. She can re-apply for the same scholarships next year and if her grades are good, she should get them again.

Talk to your daughter's guidance counselor at school. You need to fill out a fasfa form as soon as possible after January 1st. www.fasfa.com This will electronically register your daughter into any federal scholarships she may be eligible for. The guidance counselor can advise her on local scholarships and grants she can apply for. When my daughter was a senior, she was bringing home packets of scholarship applications every week.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
nachomama said:
When she was a senior in H.S., she was awarded $7,000 in scholarships, but when we decided to stay home and go to CSM, she lost her federal scholarships, which were around $5,000. She was able to apply the local scholarships she was awarded to CSM. When she applied for the scholarships again this year, she was awarded $6,000 in federal scholarships and the rest were local scholarships. She can re-apply for the same scholarships next year and if her grades are good, she should get them again.

Talk to your daughter's guidance counselor at school. You need to fill out a fasfa form as soon as possible after January 1st. www.fasfa.com This will electronically register your daughter into any federal scholarships she may be eligible for. The guidance counselor can advise her on local scholarships and grants she can apply for. When my daughter was a senior, she was bringing home packets of scholarship applications every week.

Federal Scholarships?? Do you mean grants, like Pell?? And I thought it was FAFSA??

Last edited: