Healthier version of homecooked fried chicken...

Oven Fried Chicken LINK

Fried chicken is a prime candidate for a healthy makeover. We decreased the calories and fat by almost half with the following changes:

The first step was to remove the skin, since that contains the most fat.

Second was to bake the pieces. We knew we would be halfway home simply by changing the cooking technique, but then had to create a faux fried texture.

We sampled many different coatings, from bread crumbs (even Japanese panko) to cereals of all types, falafel mix, crackers and crushed corn chips. We liked the flavor that a corn and rice cereal added and the crispiness a dry bread-cracker (like bagel chips or Melba toasts) gave the chicken, so we combined the two for a tasty, crispy coating.

Getting the coating to stick was another matter — we tried buttermilk, egg white, plain milk and yogurt coatings. A light brushing of low fat mayonnaise finally did the trick. Not only did the mayonnaise make the coating stick, it mirrored the texture of the removed skin. The combination coating, with a hint of mustard in the mayonnaise, garnered rave reviews from all tasters.

1 1/3 cups rice-corn crispy cereal, (recommended: Crispex)
2 1/4 cups broken bagel chips or melba toast
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
4 bone-in, skinless chicken pieces (about 6 ounces each) See Cook's Note

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Set a rack on a foil lined baking sheet. Spray the rack generously with cooking spray.

Finely grind the cereal and toasts together in a food processor. Transfer crumbs to a large gallon size plastic bag. Add the oil, salt, cayenne, paprika, and ground pepper and toss to mix thoroughly. Whisk the light mayonnaise and Dijon mustard together in a medium shallow bowl. Add chicken to mayonnaise and turn to coat all the pieces evenly. Drop the chicken into the plastic bag, seal and shake until each piece is evenly coated. Place coated pieces on the prepared rack. Spray the chicken pieces evenly with cooking spray, and bake until the coating crisps and browns and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the pieces registers 160 degrees F, 35 to 40 minutes.

Transfer to a platter and serve hot or at room temperature.

Cook's note:
We like to cook the chicken on the bone for a real moist and juicy chicken experience. If you can't find bone-in skinless chicken, simply pull off the skin before coating. Chicken breast halves can be quite large. To get a healthy 6 ounce portion, cut the breast pieces crosswise with a heavy knife into pieces about the same size as a chicken thigh.

Last edited:
Vince said:
Got to try this. Been looking for a crispy chicken coating. :yum:
How about some healthy onion rings on the side... :yum:

Ring Leader!

These delicious, baked, oniony treats are a dead ringer (c'mon, what did you expect?) for the fast food version. Ok, we lied -- they're much better! Instead of sucking down a greasy, oily, caloriefest of a side dish, chew a few of these crispy & crunchy circles of love (er, onions), courtesy of HG. They couldn't be easier to prepare...or more delicious!

Ingredients:

1 large onion

1/4 cup original Egg Beaters

1/4 cup packaged breadcrumbs

*Although you’ll only actually use a quarter cup of each, it may be easier to dunk the rings if you dole out a bit more Egg Beaters and breadcrumbs while preparing.

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut edges off onion, and remove outer layer. Cut onion into 1/2 inch wide slices, and separate into rings. Next, fill a small bowl (just large enough for onion rings to fit in) with Egg Beaters. Pour breadcrumbs onto a small dish. One by one, coat each ring in egg and then breadcrumbs (give each ring a shake after the egg bath). Place on an oven-safe baking dish sprayed with nonstick spray. Cook for 20-25 minutes, flipping rings over about halfway through. Serves one!

HG Tip! Look for 4C’s Carb Careful Plain Bread Crumbs at the supermarket. While around the same calorie count as ordinary breadcrumbs, they're fat-free and full of fiber! Their seasoned version has just 1 gram of fat per serving.

Serving Size: 15 rings; one recipe

Calories: 175
Fat: 1.5g
Sodium: 316mg
Carbs: 30g
Fiber: 2.5g
Sugars: 6g

Protein: 10.5g

*3 Points! (Note: regular onion rings are 18 points!)

Vince

kwillia said:

Ring Leader!

These delicious, baked, oniony treats are a dead ringer (c'mon, what did you expect?) for the fast food version. Ok, we lied -- they're much better! Instead of sucking down a greasy, oily, caloriefest of a side dish, chew a few of these crispy & crunchy circles of love (er, onions), courtesy of HG. They couldn't be easier to prepare...or more delicious!

Ingredients:

1 large onion

1/4 cup original Egg Beaters

1/4 cup packaged breadcrumbs

*Although you’ll only actually use a quarter cup of each, it may be easier to dunk the rings if you dole out a bit more Egg Beaters and breadcrumbs while preparing.

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut edges off onion, and remove outer layer. Cut onion into 1/2 inch wide slices, and separate into rings. Next, fill a small bowl (just large enough for onion rings to fit in) with Egg Beaters. Pour breadcrumbs onto a small dish. One by one, coat each ring in egg and then breadcrumbs (give each ring a shake after the egg bath). Place on an oven-safe baking dish sprayed with nonstick spray. Cook for 20-25 minutes, flipping rings over about halfway through. Serves one!

HG Tip! Look for 4C’s Carb Careful Plain Bread Crumbs at the supermarket. While around the same calorie count as ordinary breadcrumbs, they're fat-free and full of fiber! Their seasoned version has just 1 gram of fat per serving.

Serving Size: 15 rings; one recipe

Calories: 175
Fat: 1.5g
Sodium: 316mg
Carbs: 30g
Fiber: 2.5g
Sugars: 6g

Protein: 10.5g

*3 Points! (Note: regular onion rings are 18 points!)
This one would take some time to prepare enough. Weekend onion rings.

kwillia said:

Ring Leader!

These are absolutely delicious! I even think they are better tasting than the oily deep fried version!...:yay: :yay:

dustin

UAIOE
Ever wonder why there arent many seagulls and pigeons hanging around Navy ships?

...go ask a cook down on the mess decks...

C-Murda

awww see, how you gonna go and make some fried chicken healthy, if I dont have greaze running down my arms, then it aint good.

kwillia said:
Oven Fried Chicken LINK

Fried chicken is a prime candidate for a healthy makeover. We decreased the calories and fat by almost half with the following changes:

The first step was to remove the skin, since that contains the most fat.

Second was to bake the pieces. We knew we would be halfway home simply by changing the cooking technique, but then had to create a faux fried texture.

We sampled many different coatings, from bread crumbs (even Japanese panko) to cereals of all types, falafel mix, crackers and crushed corn chips. We liked the flavor that a corn and rice cereal added and the crispiness a dry bread-cracker (like bagel chips or Melba toasts) gave the chicken, so we combined the two for a tasty, crispy coating.

Getting the coating to stick was another matter — we tried buttermilk, egg white, plain milk and yogurt coatings. A light brushing of low fat mayonnaise finally did the trick. Not only did the mayonnaise make the coating stick, it mirrored the texture of the removed skin. The combination coating, with a hint of mustard in the mayonnaise, garnered rave reviews from all tasters.

1 1/3 cups rice-corn crispy cereal, (recommended: Crispex)
2 1/4 cups broken bagel chips or melba toast
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
4 bone-in, skinless chicken pieces (about 6 ounces each) See Cook's Note

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Set a rack on a foil lined baking sheet. Spray the rack generously with cooking spray.

Finely grind the cereal and toasts together in a food processor. Transfer crumbs to a large gallon size plastic bag. Add the oil, salt, cayenne, paprika, and ground pepper and toss to mix thoroughly. Whisk the light mayonnaise and Dijon mustard together in a medium shallow bowl. Add chicken to mayonnaise and turn to coat all the pieces evenly. Drop the chicken into the plastic bag, seal and shake until each piece is evenly coated. Place coated pieces on the prepared rack. Spray the chicken pieces evenly with cooking spray, and bake until the coating crisps and browns and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the pieces registers 160 degrees F, 35 to 40 minutes.

Transfer to a platter and serve hot or at room temperature.

Cook's note:
We like to cook the chicken on the bone for a real moist and juicy chicken experience. If you can't find bone-in skinless chicken, simply pull off the skin before coating. Chicken breast halves can be quite large. To get a healthy 6 ounce portion, cut the breast pieces crosswise with a heavy knife into pieces about the same size as a chicken thigh.
According to a recent karma note... this recipe is a keeper. :yay:

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
kwillia said:
According to a recent karma note... this recipe is a keeper. :yay:

I am feeling this. :flowers:

I will give it a try because I have tried the shake and bake and it's still very greasy but I think it's because I keep the skin on. I simply love the skin left on all fried chicken. Pray for me? :frown:

I've started marinating my whiting in mustard too the night before I fry it and I love the flavor it gives so mayonnaise will probably be good too. :yay:

LexiGirl75 said:
I am feeling this. :flowers:

I will give it a try because I have tried the shake and bake and it's still very greasy but I think it's because I keep the skin on. I simply love the skin left on all fried chicken. Pray for me? :frown:

I've started marinating my whiting in mustard too the night before I fry it and I love the flavor it gives so mayonnaise will probably be good too. :yay:
1 grilled chicken breast without skin = 192 calories 2.9 grams fat
1 grilled chicken breast with skin = 225 calories 8.3 grams fat
Yep... there's your added grease...:yay: