Cruise Lines

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
For those that have taken multiple cruises, which are your favorite and least favorite cruise lines? I've only been on Carnival. We had an absolutely fantastic time, but I'd like to experience other lines as well. By keeping our options open as to which cruise line we'd like to go through, I imagine we'll have a greater variety of schedules, destinations, and prices to play with.

BusyMom

I would absolutely recommend Princess. We've been on three Princess Cruises, and will be leaving on January 6 for our fourth. They've all been to the Caribbean, but from others I have spoken to, all of their ships/destinations are first class. Good luck with your decision!!

Nanny Pam

I've only been on Carnival. I intend to stay with them.
Sorry I'm no help, but I am hooked on...
"if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

snuzzy

My son was hurt on a Royal Caribbean Cruise, on their "private island". There was a poor response at the time of the accident, then when we got back to the ship they didn't even have waterproof bandages for him, he was 12 and surrounded by water! :smack: I'm afraid that I can't recommend this cruise line, even my formal complaint did not receive a response.

Gummie

DW and I have been on two cruise lines, Royal Caribbean and Holland America.

We find HAL to be less hetic, many of the passengers are senior senior (yes I know thats two seniors) citzens, but the service is unbeliveable. All staterooms come with bathrobes to use and the beds are more comfortable than RCCL. In the Dutch tradition, there is high tea each afternoon and at dinner time the yum-yum man (crew member dress like a bellhop) walks around the public areas of the ship playing the chimes. All ocean view rooms have a bath tub.

RCCL has a higher energy clientele than HAL. They seem to be directed at a younger crowd.

We enjoy both lines. HAL did sail out of Norfolk but they are leaving after this year and RCCL sails the Grandeur of the Seas out of Baltimore. I believe they have four different cruises next year. A Bermuda, a New England/Canada. an Easter Caribbean and a Western/Southern Caribbean.

A great website to review lines/cruises/ports etc. is cruisecritic.com. They have boards for all the lines.

Elle

Happy Camper!
Gummie said:
A great website to review lines/cruises/ports etc. is cruisecritic.com. They have boards for all the lines.

I've only been on one so can't compare it to anything but I second this website. I found more information that I'd ever need to know when we were planning our trip and because I was soo educated I think it only made the experience better.

If we cruise again I think I'll choose my ports & time of year then find a line and ship that caters to those selection.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
LordStanley said:
I watched a one-hour Disney Cruise special Sunday night. It was totally cool and it would definitely be something that I would consider for a family vacation. They even offer 7 day cruises with Disney theme park tickets included. Of course this is an expensive vacation, but one the kids would remember forever!!

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
Chasey_Lane said:
I watched a one-hour Disney Cruise special Sunday night. It was totally cool and it would definitely be something that I would consider for a family vacation. They even offer 7 day cruises with Disney theme park tickets included. Of course this is an expensive vacation, but one the kids would remember forever!!
I watched that, too. Looks awesome!! I love that they have their own island.

Elle

Happy Camper!
Chasey_Lane said:
I would love to do Disney just can't imagine paying what they charge. Ours wasn't cheap but def. a savings over the mouse. On a side note, I love the idea of including kids on cruises, making it a family thing. This was by far the best vacation we have taken and it is great to look back at the experiences we all had and know that we shared them as a family. I mean how many 8 year olds visit Mayan temples with a Mayan ancestor as their guide or get to interact with dolphins (heck I’m amazed that I got to do this myself).

LordStanley

I know nothing
Nickel said:
My son is only four, I'd like to wait until he's a little older to include him in something like that.

Why wait... we just went during the summer and took our almost 4 year old.

He had a freaking blast. So did we. There is so much for the kids to do. You can enrole them into disneys daycare. They will watch the kids for as long as they want to stay, or you can be away from them.

Plenty of activities for adults in the meantime.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
LordStanley said:
Why wait... we just went during the summer and took our almost 4 year old.

He had a freaking blast. So did we. There is so much for the kids to do. You can enrole them into disneys daycare. They will watch the kids for as long as they want to stay, or you can be away from them.

Plenty of activities for adults in the meantime.
Because I don't want to take him on vacation and put him in daycare. :lmao:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
LordStanley said:
Then dont put him in the daycare :smack:

I just dont understand your logic.... Why do you think 4 years is too young?
I just don't understand why you care, he's my kid. :lmao:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Nickel said:
Because I don't want to take him on vacation and put him in daycare. :lmao:
The Disney cruise doesn't offer just any kind of daycare. They have programs and activities for children off all ages, any time of the day. During the special I watched, they mentioned how some of the kids didn't want to go back with their parents because they were having so much fun. :lol:

There is also a separate area of the boat for adults where children are not allowed. I think that's cool!

Elle

Happy Camper!
Chasey_Lane said:
The Disney cruise doesn't offer just any kind of daycare. They have programs and activities for children off all ages, any time of the day. During the special I watched, they mentioned how some of the kids didn't want to go back with their parents because they were having so much fun. :lol:

There is also a separate area of the boat for adults where children are not allowed. I think that's cool!
I think most cruise lines have this now. I know on our RC sailing my son begged us morning, noon, and night to go to the kids club. I think we had a family dinner together in the dinning room maybe 3 of our 9 nights. This was nice b/c hubby and I had lots of time to enjoy our vacation and not feel guilty about him not being with us b/c he obviously enjoyed being in the kids club.