1949 and 1950 dodge

sj531880

I am about to start a project restoring a 1949 and 1950 Dodge Pickup. The reason for this is you see chevy and ford but not much Dodges' on the road.
I was wondering if anyone has any advice or websites to look for ideas. this will be a major job for me. so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Jackal

FireBrand

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sj531880 said:
I am about to start a project restoring a 1949 and 1950 Dodge Pickup. The reason for this is you see chevy and ford but not much Dodges' on the road.
I was wondering if anyone has any advice or websites to look for ideas. this will be a major job for me. so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Jackal

Hemmings Motor News is always a good resource !
http://www.hemmings.com/

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
sj531880 said:

Jackal

No advice, but please post pic's from beginning to end! :yay:

sj531880

thanks, that was quick. And yes i will take pictures this is going to be a very rewarding experience. keep ya posted

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
sj531880 said:
thanks, that was quick. And yes i will take pictures this is going to be a very rewarding experience. keep ya posted

Please do! My Grandfather restored a '32 Ford Sedan (I think) from the status of chicken coop back to new.

:lol:

Magnum

Should be Huntin
I have two 1955 Plymouth Savoys. One was fully restored in 92, customized to gm. the other is all original. I think I'm going to sell them, they are just getting in the way

sj531880

ive got the two original motors that of course will need to be completely overhauled because god knows i cant afford a new motor plus i would be cool to say where the truck was when i got it and where it will be when im done. plus i want everything to be original. Thanks

Jackal

Magnum

Should be Huntin
Here's my 55

Attachments

• 050406_1832[1].jpg
    050406_1832[1].jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 132
  • 050606_165442.jpg
    050606_165442.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 050606_165459.jpg
    050606_165459.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 127

sj531880

excellent '55. Actually this is my first resto. so it is going to be a real experience. like i said any and all tip's and advice is greatly appreciated. i have alot of planning and research to do but i hope to get started real quick. the motors are both 6 cylinders' one is already out of the chassis so i may start on the motor and get all the specs on that and then search for interior pieces.

boatdoctor

in the engine room
sj531880 said:
excellent '55. Actually this is my first resto. so it is going to be a real experience. like i said any and all tip's and advice is greatly appreciated. i have alot of planning and research to do but i hope to get started real quick. the motors are both 6 cylinders' one is already out of the chassis so i may start on the motor and get all the specs on that and then search for interior pieces.
Good Luck with your resto project I have done two and it is a lot of time and money but the rewards are great. Being as you are a Mopar fan a resto of the old Plymouth from the movie Christine would be so cool. :jameo:

J

julz20684

sj531880 said:

Jackal

An ex-friend of mine completely restored a 1967 Pontiac GTO and a 19?? Dodge Pickup...PM me if you want his info to contact him for advice/info

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Very nice. I'd love to see the vehicle. It's not a Powerwagon by chance is it? My dad is currently restoring a Cuda (sorry no Hemi), we are a Mopar family.

RoseRed said:
Please do! My Grandfather restored a '32 Ford Sedan (I think) from the status of chicken coop back to new.

:lol:
I've been trying to talk my uncle out of the '29 Model A that he's had in the basement/garage and detached workshop of my grandmother's house since they moved in back in the early '60's. Body here, frame there, engine and tranny in the workshop. It was in pieces when they moved in, and it is STILL in pieces. It is complete with the exception of the front left fender. Every piece was stripped to bare metal and primered.

He's also got a '64 Vette convertible in the same basement/garage and workshop. Also in pieces. Also been trying to talk him out of that for 20+ years.

sj531880 said:

Jackal
This old truck website will give you free hosting for your restoration log and photos. I look forward to seeing your progress. Take LOTS and LOTS of pictures. If you think you have taken enough pictures of a part before removing it, take more. One suggestion I saw on a website was to put all your parts on rolling shelves, grouped by section (i.e. engine compartment, dash, chrome), that way when it is time to reassemble, you can roll the shelf over to the truck and have all the parts easily accessible, and then roll it back out of the way when not needed. If you send anything out for plating or any other work, take a photograph of every nut/bolt/part that you are sending out and include the shipping label or some sort of label in the photo stating what and where you are sending the parts. That way you have proof of what you sent, and in what condition.

huntr1 said:
I've been trying to talk my uncle out of the '29 Model A that he's had in the basement/garage and detached workshop of my grandmother's house since they moved in back in the early '60's. Body here, frame there, engine and tranny in the workshop. It was in pieces when they moved in, and it is STILL in pieces. It is complete with the exception of the front left fender. Every piece was stripped to bare metal and primered.

He's also got a '64 Vette convertible in the same basement/garage and workshop. Also in pieces. Also been trying to talk him out of that for 20+ years.
There is a snowballs chance in hades that I will be able to talk him out of one of these two vehicles eventually. He has 3 kids, and none of them are interested in them. They all want the Plymouth pickup that's in the workshop. Don't know what year it is, but they stopped making them in 1941. I want to say it's either a '39 or '41. It was my great-uncle's truck. It is in excellent unrestored condition. It has been parked in the workshop since atleast 1973, but Uncle has had it since the late 60's when my great-uncle died.

Magnum

Should be Huntin
huntr1 said:
What's the fat fendered car in the first photo?
That picture was taken when I was buying my car. The guy has a ton of old cars there. I asked about that one, I think he said it was a 38 or 48 plymouth. That car was in rough shape though, no floor in it.
The guy I bought my cars from restores them. He owns a body shop in Brandywine. I go by there whenever I can to try to learn what I can.

sj531880

huntr1 said:
This old truck website will give you free hosting for your restoration log and photos. I look forward to seeing your progress. Take LOTS and LOTS of pictures. If you think you have taken enough pictures of a part before removing it, take more. One suggestion I saw on a website was to put all your parts on rolling shelves, grouped by section (i.e. engine compartment, dash, chrome), that way when it is time to reassemble, you can roll the shelf over to the truck and have all the parts easily accessible, and then roll it back out of the way when not needed. If you send anything out for plating or any other work, take a photograph of every nut/bolt/part that you are sending out and include the shipping label or some sort of label in the photo stating what and where you are sending the parts. That way you have proof of what you sent, and in what condition.

hey the truck of the week on oldtrucks.org the 49 dodge is the one in the shed for resto, if anyone has info on that ride let me know

Jackal

willie

Magnum said:
That picture was taken when I was buying my car. The guy has a ton of old cars there. I asked about that one, I think he said it was a 38 or 48 plymouth. That car was in rough shape though, no floor in it.
The guy I bought my cars from restores them. He owns a body shop in Brandywine. I go by there whenever I can to try to learn what I can.
My vote is a '39 Plymouth sedan.

Attachments

• 39ply22707-B.jpg
    39ply22707-B.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 39maybe.jpg
    39maybe.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 93