"Minor" relative visiting from overseas

nosey

She's a teenager but I worry in case she needs medical treatment while in the States. What should we have to assure they will treat her? Do I need a medical release? What needs to be on it? Do I need a not aobut temporary guardian as well?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
She should probably have her insurance card with her. But if something happens, they'd admit her to the hospital and just get the information from her parents over the phone.

Ninurta

Now with country gravy.
nosey said:
She's a teenager but I worry in case she needs medical treatment while in the States. What should we have to assure they will treat her? Do I need a medical release? What needs to be on it? Do I need a not aobut temporary guardian as well?

The thing about the ER is they won't refuse treatment, even if she has no insurance. That's how illegals get medical care.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
I'd probably still get a medical release to seek care for her from her parents ... just a note from them stating that you have their permission to seek medical care and make decisions about her medical care in the absensce of the parents. Odds are, you'd be on the phone with them passing their wishes on to the doctors, but it's just one little thing to make it easier for you. It might be an odd thing for them if they live in a different country, but it's pretty commonplace here anymore.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
If you just have a letter, get it notorized, or maybe see about a Special Power of Attorney for just medical care.

CandyRain

I think her parents should contact the insurance carrier. They'll be able to tell them what she will need in case something happens. :yay:

johnjrval424

A Durable Medical Power of Attorney will give you the right to admit her to a hospital, if necessary, without contacting the parents first (obviously, only in an emergency situation). Otherwise, I would also have a "medical release" for routine doctor visits (ordinary cold, etc.).

BRITUSA

BRITUSA
nosey said:

If she is visiting from Europe she will probably book medical insurance with her flight. Thats what my family do when they visit me.

punjabigyrl

She needs travellers insurance and if she has any pre-existing conditions, a copy of her medical history, meds she/he are on etc. That is sufficient. I believe the insurance through the ticket is limited. have her parents reseach it more.

bcp

In My Opinion
nosey said:
dont worry, the way the system works, since she is a non citizen, if the need for medical care becomes neccessary, she will be able to get better care than any of us can regardless of our insurance coverage.... and she gets if for free.