Nanny Sharing

Hi!
I'm getting ready to return to work and just am not crazy about leaving my baby in a daycare facility. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a nanny sharing program? (I heard of this just recently...two families share one nanny...a big cost saver and your child gets much more individualized attention.) I'm having a bit of difficulty locating nanny care as well. (St. Mary's County, specifically.) If any parents out there have input, I'd love to hear about your experience.
Thanks in advance!

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
gardengirl said:
Hi!
I'm getting ready to return to work and just am not crazy about leaving my baby in a daycare facility. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a nanny sharing program? (I heard of this just recently...two families share one nanny...a big cost saver and your child gets much more individualized attention.) I'm having a bit of difficulty locating nanny care as well. (St. Mary's County, specifically.) If any parents out there have input, I'd love to hear about your experience.
Thanks in advance!

What part of St. Mary's County? My daughter attends Towson University and she is a nanny. Not that that helps you, but you may want to go to St. Mary's College or CSM and put a flyer up on the bulletin boards. Just a suggestion. :shrug:

marianne

I tried something similar but without luck. I'm not in St Mary's so I can't help you much personally. We've been using au pairs the past few years and that's worked out well. I don't know if you've looked into that ...

MargeInCharge

terbear1225 said:
what exactly is nanny sharing? how is it different from in home day care?

Nannies typically come to your home to take care of your child/children. I used to nanny many years ago before I had my own children (live out, I was only there during the day). The plusses are the kids are in their own home, they have all their things right there, own bed, etc, and you don't have the hassle of having to get the kids up early and out the door in the morning.

I'm not sure how the sharing thing would work though, I guess they would rotate between houses. Which means someone would have to take their kids somewhere else.

terbear1225

thanks, that clarifies things for me. I guess we're probably going to be doing something a lot like that in February. We haven't worked out the details of where yet though.

jmom

where are you in St Mary's county? I am interested in sharing a nanny! I have a 5 year old...I am a single Mom and I work full time in DC. I occasionally need someone to take or pick up my son from bus stop and to keep him until I get home so at most on a given day I would need 2-3 hours from the nanny....and not every day. Also my son is pretty well behaved so maybe it'd work out for the nanny to have an older child in addition to an infant?