Which Internet Service Provider (ISP) Do You Use?

Warren76

Hello Everyone,

I live in Suitland and have used Online-Gateway (OLG) as my ISP for about two years. But yesterday, I had to "bust-a-move" to switch over to Netzero. Why did I change ISPs? Two reasons; first, monthly cost - NetZero=$9.95; OLG=$14.95, and the second MAJOR reason is that for the last several months, OLG has experienced major service disruptions due to authentication server issues. That's not good for this junior web developer who works mostly from home!

Soo, which ISP do you use? And, do you like using their service(s)?

Regards,

-Warren-

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I use Chesapeake.net - cost is $14.95 mo - I have access at work or from other computers. I am supporting a LOCAL So. Md business and get to talk to real people when I call if I confuse myself on the net, or blow up my puter. Plus I get quick and easy local links, local news and weather and more. I like it and reccommend always supporting a locally owned/operated business over the big guys who really don't care.

Warren76

Migtig,

I had the same loyalty desire when I first
signed up with Online Gateway. OLG was based
in Upper Marlboro, until it was bought by
an internet/communications conglomerate last
year. Sadly, since that conglomerate's acquisition of OLG, OLG has exibited itself to be an off-line gateway, more times than I care to count.

G

giggles04

When I'm at home on my computer... the service that I have is starpower....
Never have any major problems... would give you cost if I could remember it!

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
well, knock on wood, but I have never had a problem with chesapeake.net. And hopefully they won't get so big that some conglomerate buys em up.

fuzzyng

I must admit, I use Erols (Starpower) at home, and TQCI at work, cause my boss knows the people in there. I don't have many problems with Erols, but I have a hard time getting a decent connection at work... my poor fiance (watercolor23) has to use AOHell...

Jameo

What?!
TQCI

I use TQCI at home and have NEVER had any problems with them. It's like 14 bucks a month. My parents also use them, and never any problems.

Frank

Chairman of the Board
For some reason which eludes me - I have two, Earthlink and Erol's (Starpower). I think way back when, Erol's kept dropping me for reasons I couldn't explain, but they used to allow access to their newsgroups without being logged on as a user (so I could use them at work).

Still, lately, Earthlink has been notorious for dropping me for no apparent reason. So I don't know what I will do. They are both basically good providers, most of the time, and both are available if not nation-wide - over a large area. That way, if I move or am on travel, I don't disrupt the flow of e-mail by switching providers.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Starpower seems to be a reliable provider, so far.

I was also a former OLG customer. They have, without a doubt, the worst service around now!

Whatever happened to Eaglenet/HSAnet?

John Z

if you will
Broad band, baby!

I was with Erols/Starpower for 5 years, but I had to make the switch to Comcast cable internet. I love it! I'm getting 500-1000 Kbps, and I swear I'll never go back to 56Kbps again. With Erols/Starpower, I was lucky to get a 33.6Kbps connection...

Warren76

John Z,

Good for your experience with Comcast cable's
fast data rates! So, far I have been connecting
with NetZero between 45.3 kb/s and 46.67 kb/s.
I surf away on my manager's DSL connection at work. Indeed, cable/DSL rates RULE over dial-up modem rates! Still, I'm shopping around for a good DSL service provider. It appears via NetZero's web page, that they only provide dial-up internet access at this time.

firefighter6

I have had Earthlink for about 3 years now and I don't think I have ever not been able to login. I pay 21.95 a month but I needed somthing that has local Dial-up numbers everywhere. It was important to be reliable because I created and maintain the website for the vol. Fire and Res-q department I run with. In case anybody wants to check it out it is Http://www.sdvfdrs.org

tater

I have GMPexpress (formerly HSANET), and I think it is the cats a$$. Depending on how often you get on to surf or how much you download, I think it is worth the 50 bones a month. Frees up your phone line, plus donwloads soooooo much faster. Plus, If you download winMX or Morpheus, you'll never have to buy another CD ever again. But.....shhhhhhh......don't tell anybody:eek:

Y

yornoc

I have been using spearnet (www.spearnet.net) since January and I have had NO problems (except for the fact that it's dial-up). Prior to that I used TQCI for 3 years and had NO problems there either. The only reason I swithched was because spearnet has local access numbers in most major cities which enable me to have access (with a laptop) when I travel. So far, I've used it in Cincinatti and NYC. All I have to do is look up the local access number (on spearnet's site) for the area to which I'm travelling and create a dial up connection for that number.

As soon as I get enough faith in Concast, I'll get their service and possible keep spearnet as back-up (they are only $12.75 per month).:cheesy:

Warron

I'm currently using Verizon DSL. Its fairly decent. I've had some problems with the login software they require you to use. It tends to hang up once in a while and causes shutdown problems. Its been working well for the last 3 or 4 months, but I was having major problems with it about 6 months ago. Anyway, its $50 a month for 768k down and 128k up, plus you have to buy the modem for $50 up front and commit to it for a year. You get billed for the full priced of the modem ($250) if you cancel before the year is up. I think Verizon has to be your local phone service provider though, but I'm not positive.

I used to have HSA cable service (now GMP), but during the process of selling the company to GMP they ticked me off by not providing support and I canceled my account. It was 500k up and 500k down for $50 a month. No login was required either, which was nice. You had to have extended basic cable though, plus your wiring had to support two way communication. I had major problems with low signal strengh when I first go it. I lived on the third floor of an apartment building. After running the cable all the way to the third floor and splitting it off to the tv and cable modem, the modem wouldnt link up. It took a long time to get that fixed (almost 3 months) because the cable company would just check to see if the signal was strong enough for tv reception and say there was no problem. It was nice when it worked though.

BOP

You know, if you don't have anything to do, I'm a bachelor this weekend. Lots of honey do stuff you can help me with if you're bored.

Floyd2004

-Void-
Im on Verizon DSL 1.5 meg is the fastest I can get where im at. Its like 35 bucks a month and ive never had any issues with it ever. My only issue is that its only 1.5 meg. I would love to use fios but it will be forever and a half before we get it in the park.

G

Gtmustang88

I got comcast and haven't had any problems for the 4 years I have had it. I could never imagine going back to a dial up service.