Goats

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
So, my co-worker is getting two little twin goats this weekend. She has never had any. She has no idea what to feed them and thinks they don't need any shots. I told her I'd check here. Any info you guys can provide?

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
MMDad said:
Tell her that we're all very happy she doesn't have kids if she's that cluless.
She has 3 kids. And now she is getting two kid goats. Go figure. And horses and maybe a little pig.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Pasofever said:
Wow I cant wait to see the threads after she gets these home..keep me posted..
She will take care of them. I know that. She has had horses in the past, but this goat thing.....I was asking what she was going to feed them. She said Southern States could tell her. Don't they at least need rabies shots or something?????

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I am sure she will take care of them...but they make noise ALL day..they get into everything..they chew everything...I had one that jumped on top of a cop car and I could not get her off she kept rearing and crashing in the roof of the car..yep they climb anything...cars etc...they crap everywhere they go up steps ...patios etc...they get out of almost any fence...the worst is the screaming like a kid is being choaked...

there are shots they get not sure what though...even my llamas get rabies I give rabies to everything...

Paul at SS will sell her some goat feed and help her out...hay she will also need hay....

Have fun

Pandora

Rabies isn't that common in goats, but yes, they can still get it. I remember reading that when I searched "rabies" after seeing that poor fox stumbling in the Wal Mart parking lot. Great, now I have depression. :bawl:

Ok now that I’m over it, what possessed your friend to want goats?

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Pasofever said:
I am sure she will take care of them...but they make noise ALL day..they get into everything..they chew everything...I had one that jumped on top of a cop car and I could not get her off she kept rearing and crashing in the roof of the car..yep they climb anything...cars etc...they crap everywhere they go up steps ...patios etc...they get out of almost any fence...the worst is the screaming like a kid is being choaked...

there are shots they get not sure what though...even my llamas get rabies I give rabies to everything...

Paul at SS will sell her some goat feed and help her out...hay she will also need hay....

Have fun

This is going to be quite entertaining for me. I'll keep you all posted. She picks the baby twin goats up this weekend. She did have a barn and pasture done. And she thinks she isn't gonna be late to work. :lmao:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Pandora said:
Rabies isn't that common in goats, but yes, they can still get it. I remember reading that when I searched "rabies" after seeing that poor fox stumbling in the Wal Mart parking lot. Great, now I have depression. :bawl:

Ok now that I’m over it, what possessed your friend to want goats?

Not common in goats..but what happens is a goat is curious like a llama...a rabid animal stumbles accross the pasture the llama or the cruious goat goes to see what it is...sniffs it and the rabid animal bites them in the nose...

Worry more about URI and stuff like that if they are small just being weaned and out in the winter.

our Spinner raises goats and can tell you more..

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Pasofever said:
Not common in goats..but what happens is a goat is curious like a llama...a rabid animal stumbles accross the pasture the llama or the cruious goat goes to see what it is...sniffs it and the rabid animal bites them in the nose...

Worry more about URI and stuff like that if they are small just being weaned and out in the winter.

our Spinner raises goats and can tell you more..
Who is Spinner and can you PM me his e-mail addy cause I think she is going to be whining to me all the time and I really don't wanna hear about the goats every day. I could just put her in contact with him and I'm done. TIA.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
BS Gal said:
Who is Spinner and can you PM me his e-mail addy cause I think she is going to be whining to me all the time and I really don't wanna hear about the goats every day. I could just put her in contact with him and I'm done. TIA.

:lmao: She is here on the forums..wait till the fun starts then I will give you her phone number..I want to hear the good stuff first..

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Pasofever said:
:lmao: She is here on the forums..wait till the fun starts then I will give you her phone number..I want to hear the good stuff first..
I am going to need Xanax again. :lmao: Every morning I have to listen to the stories about her kids fighting, the ex-hubby, the boyfriend's ex-hubby, etc. The only fun I'll get is posting about it. I'll be suffering big time. I just don't want the animals to miss shots or something.

M

Mousebaby

Just make sure she keeps them warm and dry during these winter months. When I was 10, my mom left my baby goat out all night because she forgot to put him in and he got really sick and died by the next day! I will NEVER forget that, it was the worst thing I had ever been through at that age. Hope she has good luck! :huggy:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Mousebaby said:
Just make sure she keeps them warm and dry during these winter months. When I was 10, my mom left my baby goat out all night because she forgot to put him in and he got really sick and died by the next day! I will NEVER forget that, it was the worst thing I had ever been through at that age. Hope she has good luck! :huggy:
She doesn't know she has to do that. She's just putting them in the barn.

W

Wenchy

Poor Goats :(

The backroads here have signs directing you to "goat roasts" during the summer.

It smells good, but I haven't ventured that far yet.

I have attended many pig roasts, but I know the people, and they don't have hand written signs (invitation only)

Cowgirl

BS Gal said:

I've also raised sheep and goats for years. Tell her to find a good quality hay. Southern States sells goat feed. How old are these goats? Are they the ones in the classifieds? What kind of goats are they?

A good vaccine to give them would be CD/T. Southern States would sell this. It is to prevent Clostridial disease type C and D, and a Tetanus toxoid. They usually get this once a year. If they are just weaned, they will need one shot now, and a booster in 3-4 weeks. Then it will go to once a year. I never gave my sheep or goats rabies shots, but it won't hurt them. She'll have to get a vet to do that. Are they male or female? If they are males, have they been castrated? If not, she will DEFINITELY want to do that, because bucks are nasty, nasty animals.

If you get more information about the goats, I can help you out a little more. Goats can be great pets....as long as long as you are prepared for them. Like Paso said, they are wonderful escape artists....some people say that if your fence won't hold water, it won't hold a goat! :lmao:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Pasofever said:
I back up the neutering male goat part..a whole male is NASTY....in more then one way.. :lmao:
She says they are neutered and they are just regular goats, whatever that means. Half pygmy and half "regular" goat. I think this is going to be very entertaining. :lmao: