Guess what I got for Christmas?

bcp

In My Opinion
Saturday night I completely lost use of my leg. The pain was beyond my ability to tolerate. So, my second trip to the ER in a week.
this time, they kept me over night and did an MRI again, at the hospital.
Now, as you remember I mentioned before that I switched surgeons because the one I had was taking too long, and the surgeon I switched to was on call at the hospital.
he looked at the MRI sunday morning, and had me in surgery at 4 pm.
he ended up fixing three disks to remove the pressure from the nerves.

Im back home already, no more pain in the leg, mild pain in the back where they cut me, and there is nerve damage from waiting too long. My leg keeps trying to bend backwards when I walk, so Im now stuck with a crutch at least on that one side. They think that over the next six months the leg should build back up the lost muscle and I should be back to around 90% normal.
Unitl then, I just have to take it easy, but, I am no longer in the pain that I was in, and I can walk and sit once again.

Merry Christmas to all and a blessed New Year for each and every one of you.

Angel

~*~*~
OMG! I'm glad you are doing better and wishing you a speedy recovery!! :huggy:

Merry Christmas to you and your family too! :smile:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
bcp said:
there is nerve damage from waiting too long.
Hello??? :smack:

(Although I must admit that I would probably lay there and die rather than go to ER or even to the doctor)

Unitl then, I just have to take it easy, but, I am no longer in the pain that I was in, and I can walk and sit once again.
That's wonderful news, although you probably wouldn't have had to take such a dramatic route and you not waited so long. :lol:

bcp

In My Opinion
vraiblonde said:
Hello??? :smack:

(Although I must admit that I would probably lay there and die rather than go to ER or even to the doctor)

That's wonderful news, although you probably wouldn't have had to take such a dramatic route and you not waited so long. :lol:

was not my fault, Ive been trying to light a fire under the surgeons backside for over a month now. Thats why I finally changed to a different surgeon.
I will be discussing his performance with him just as soon as I can get over to his office.

Im thinking baseball bat to his lower back would be justice.

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
bcp said:
Saturday night I completely lost use of my leg. The pain was beyond my ability to tolerate. So, my second trip to the ER in a week.
Now, as you remember I mentioned before that I switched surgeons because the one I had was taking too long, and the surgeon I switched to was on call at the hospital.

Im back home already, no more pain in the leg, mild pain in the back where they cut me, and there is nerve damage from waiting too long. My leg keeps trying to bend backwards when I walk, so Im now stuck with a crutch at least on that one side. They think that over the next six months the leg should build back up the lost muscle and I should be back to around 90% normal.

Awesome Christmas present!!!

johnjrval424

As a person with 2 back surgeries in the back, I can totally sympathize with your situation.

Because the first surgeon royally screwed up my lower back, I had to have a second surgery about 5 years later. I still suffered terribly two years later (partially because I hate limitations and would still lift 50 lb bags of mulch, etc.) and finally went to see a surgeon in Bethesda who also happens to be Chief of Neurosurgery for Washington Hospital Center. He didn't recommend surgery (that was a first) but sent me to a physiatrist (sp?) who gave me a total of three shots of cortisone/lidocaine over a 2 month period. That was the best treatment I have ever had hands down. It took a few days to get over the initial shot (some discomfort, legs went numb while driving) but I am now 2 years post-shots and I can lift, etc. without any problem.

Congratulations on scoring the first time! I've been told the next step for me is spinal fusion but I won't have that done, period. I have degenerative disc disease which means that the discs are slowly eroding out of my spine. I will probably need something done again at some point in the future but, for the time being, I'm okay with how I feel now.

johnjrval424

BlackSheep said:
Laminectomy surgery?
Glad the pain is relieved!!! Keep us posted! :yay:
Merry Christmas!

Yes, lumbar laminectomies. First one was L-5/S-1 which was removed. Second one was to finish cleaning out L-5 and fix L 4-5. At the time of the second surgery, the surgeon told me that L 3-4 was already herniated and on the brink of dessication. He said my legs would start to numb on the top as opposed to the back, which are already numb. I have very little feeling in the bottom of my feet and most of the way up the back of my legs. I can happily report that I haven't had any problems since - :crossingfingers:.

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
Well, I'm sorry you had to go through all that trauma, especially at this time of year, but I'm glad the problem has finally been corrected! You should be good to go by summer. :yay: In the meantime, no skiing for you this year, mister! :nono:

:huggy:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
bcp said:

Did they do the surgery here, or did they get you up to Annapolis??

Either way, good for you!!